+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm on J/B 3.0.1, family on 3.0.1 Non J/B but Want to..

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
O.K..So I have me a nice J/B 3GS running 3.0.1. I selected the "make my life easy option" in Cydia and have my ECID SHSH on file. Cool! I have
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I'm on J/B 3.0.1, family on 3.0.1 Non J/B but Want to..
    O.K..So I have me a nice J/B 3GS running 3.0.1. I selected the "make my life easy option" in Cydia and have my ECID SHSH on file. Cool! I have updated iTunes to 9.0, but continue to deny the 3.1 upgrade option. My wife has a Non J/B 3GS running 3.0.1. I read the article from Saurik, about preparing even non-J/B iphones for future J/B. Once the 3.1 J/B is released, I want to J/B her phone too. How should I prepare? From what I understand, I should modify my hosts file to reach Saurik's server when using iTunes even for her phone which is NOT jailbroken?? That's the part that I am confused on. I want to register her phone with Saurik's server but do not want to jailbreak until the 3.1 jailbreak is out. I want to cover all basis here.

BTW, many many thanks to Saurik and the continued contributions he makes to the community. My iPhone experience has been much better since jailbreaking, and I feel as though I owe a lot of that to him. Again, many thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InDashMP3 View Post
    From what I understand, I should modify my hosts file to reach Saurik's server when using iTunes even for her phone which is NOT jailbroken?? That's the part that I am confused on. I want to register her phone with Saurik's server but do not want to jailbreak until the 3.1 jailbreak is out. I want to cover all basis here.
    Yes. You want to route the communications through saurik's server to cache the keys for her device. These keys are needed to restore this particular version of firmware (for jailbreak or not) at any point in the future after Apple decides it no longer wants to allow you to use that version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

you don't have to wait for 3.1 in order to jailbreak your wife's iphone 3G[S].

just jailbreak it same as you did in your 3.0.1 3G[S].