Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions about iP 3GS

Default Questions about iP 3GS
    Hello i have iphone 3GS and some question's for that.
    My iPhone is now 3.0 software and NO JAILBREAK. I want to jailbreak it but i have some question:

1.I heard somethink about ECID files? What is this and what i need to do with this files?
    2.If I want to do jailbreak my iP it should be first to upgrade to 3.1 version software and later jailbreak?
    3.I saw in other posts somethink about hosts file and edit it. When i edit this file what give it me? And i must edit this file if my iP was never before jailbroken?
    4. And can someone tell me what i need to do now ^^? Can i now my iphone jailbreak on 3.0? or i should w8 for jailbreak 3.1? I need to copy my ECID files or what ^^?

Sry for my bad english ;P

If I were you I would jailbreak the phone since you are still on 3.0 Make sure you don't upgrade to 3.1 because that will make it impossible for you to jailbreak right now since there is no JB for 3.1 yet. You can do this using redSnow. It's a very easy process.

The ECID files are your phone's independent signature. In an attempt to prevent people from jailbreaking, Apple has made it so that every time you restore your phone in iTunes your phone sends info to Apple forcing it to restore in the newest firmware (currently 3.1). By storing your ECID with Cydia you guarantee that you will always be able to revert back to 3.1 in the future (this was originally available to downgrade to 3.0 but it is no longer possible). This is important because it seems as though 3.1 is jailbreakable while future firmware updates (3.1.x, 3.2, etc) may not be so being able to revert back to 3.1 is huuuuge for jailbreaking.

What Cydia has done is find a way for your information to be sent to them when you restore instead of being sent to Apple. This enables you to restore back to 3.1 instead of being forced by Apple to upgrade. This is done by changing that "host" file. It tricks the phone into contacting the Cydia server. Doing this is essential in order to use your saved ECID files to downgrade your firmware.

If you want to get your ECID stored in Cydia, the best thing to do would be to jailbreak your phone using redsnow. When Cydia is installed on your phone open it and make any necessary upgrades. Then, on the Cydia home page you should get an option that says "Make my life easier" or "Copy your ECID SHSH files" (this is not currently available but it should be within the next day or so). Click on that link and your ECID will be saved with Cydia (You should receive a message that tells you it has been done correctly). That will make it possible for you to go back to 3.1 if you ever need to.

For now, just jailbreak your 3.0 phone using RedSnow and make sure you avoid all the iTunes firmware upgrades.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to plegra97 For This Useful Post:

medevil (09-15-2009)

Thx so much for Your reply . Now i understand all
    And i have 1 more question. Which program is better? redsn0w or purplera1n for jailbreak 3GS iphone? I think about purplera1n because is easier but You said in Your post about "redsn0w". It's does matter what program i use to jailbreak? And both of this program jailbreak 3.0 and 3.0.1 OS?

I personally like RedSnow better. It seems to be a little more stable than PurpleRain. Here is a good tutorial on how to do it:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

That is if you are running 3.0 If you are running 3.0.1 then you still need to select a 3.0 IPSW when you run RedSnow

6. The Following User Says Thank You to plegra97 For This Useful Post:

medevil (09-15-2009)

is it safe to JB my iphone 3gs even if there's a lot of application installed on it? im afraid that i might have errors during JB process which will force me to upgrade to 3.1 since i wont be able to restore my ihone back to 3.0, BTW i have unjailbroken 3.0 3GS iphone..

and i dont wanna risk it coz it'z atnt locked iphone, and i will be using it here in the philippines.. if ever i upgrade to 3.1 then i wont be able to unlock it anymore since the new baseband is not unlockable..
    Last edited by hydraw; 09-15-2009 at 03:15 AM.

I assume you are talking about regular app store apps? It won't matter. When you jailbreak the phone the apps may get deleted but you can just re-sync your phone to get them back on there. I recommend using this method and just start at step 4 and skip the restoring part.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

yup regular apps from appstore.. like free games..

i know how to jailbreak since i have itouch 2g.. i use redwn0w..
    Last edited by hydraw; 09-15-2009 at 04:51 AM.