+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: For us 3G[s] owners without ECID's in terms of the future..

is a discussion within the

3G[S] Downgrading

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
As I have understood from Saurik's post of Bypassing the overlord, even for us 3G[s]'ers who where to late to use the service offered by Saurik to back up our
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default For us 3G[s] owners without ECID's in terms of the future..
    As I have understood from Saurik's post of Bypassing the overlord, even for us 3G[s]'ers who where to late to use the service offered by Saurik to back up our ID's, can we still follow the host altering steps [in bypassing overlord] to back up our ID's for the future?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes. He posted in another thread that it will be up and running tonight. You again can leave your ECID on Cydia if you're on 3.0.x, and it will remain available to downgrade to 3.1 in the future. At least, that's how I understand it. Someone correct if I'm wrong please.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No, you have to wait til there is a jailbreak for 3.1 then you can store your ECID. It's up and running again to get ready for the new jailbreak for 3.1. SO hopefully 3.1 jailbreak comes soon for those that didn't get their ECID stored

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nope, Decagon is right. Saurik posted earlier that once he gets it back up and running anyone running 3.0 will be able to store their ECID through Cydia. The only thing is that storing your ECID now will enable you to downgrade to 3.1 in the future, not 3.0. Doesn't seem like that will be an issue since a 3.1 JB should be out soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just to clarify because of contradictory posts, and especially for other members who come across this thread, so we can now go ahead and alter the host file and all those people who are stuck on 3.1 can start storing their data?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes. There are currently 2 ways to store your ECID with Cydia:

1. When it becomes available tonight, go into Cydia and select the link to store your ECID. You may have to do an upgrade to make this available. Last time the link said "Make my life easier". If you are still on 3.0.x then you should use this method since you will not have to upgrade to 3.1, thus losing your JB ability and possibly losing your ability to unlock forever.

2. Change the host file as instructed by Saurik on his post today. By doing this restore your phone's ECID will be stored in the system. You should only do this if you are currently running 3.1 since you'll only be able to restore to 3.1 if your ECID was not stored in the system when Cydia did this originally.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    what about 3.0

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yea, for those of us on 3.0.1 (3.0), how do we enable to backup of our ECID on Cydia? I have updated Cydia, and there is nothing showing for me to do this. Help? iPhone 3GS, OS3.0.1 JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Same here. I have 3gs with 3.0 jailbroken. Can someone tell us what to do in order to be able to restore and jailbreak the phone in case we have encountered problems in the future. In plain English please. Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same here! I have the problem, that I saved my ECID via Geohot on my computer. And now there is no solution to stay unlocked in future at this time. I have an iPhone 3GS 3.0.1 JB and unlocked. If I go to 3.1 and safe my ECID via Cydia, I lose my unlock - perhaps for ever. Without going to 3.1 I cannot send my ECID to Saurik. If I do this, the baseband is updated... And the problems may become bigger.

What is to do for people with iphone 3GS 3.0.1 JB and unlocked whitout sending an ECID via Cydia?

Waiting? Perhaps it isn't possible to read out the ECID via Cydia for 3.1... The game starts again... It's a vicious circle.

Help please...
    Last edited by FLEISCH; 09-15-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegra97 View Post
    Nope, Decagon is right. Saurik posted earlier that once he gets it back up and running anyone running 3.0 will be able to store their ECID through Cydia. The only thing is that storing your ECID now will enable you to downgrade to 3.1 in the future, not 3.0. Doesn't seem like that will be an issue since a 3.1 JB should be out soon.

Unfortunately, due to the timing of the release (it took a while for me to figure out how to do this effectively), many users failed to get their ECID's in by Apple's cutoff. However, while this means these users will not be able to downgrade to (or even stay at) 3.0, an exploit has (supposedly) been found in 3.1.

This means that, at some point in the tangible but unknown future, users will be able to use iPhoneOS 3.1 on their 3G[S] to jailbreak their devices.

To faciliate this, the Cydia "on file" system is going to come back online tonight and start signing ECIDs using the 3.1 firmware, to prepare for the coming release from Apple when users will once again be locked out.

Hopefully, by then, we'll have hundreds of thousands of users fully protected against Apple's "Information Purification Directives".
    Sorry I think you got it wrong...the "on file" system that will be back online tonight will just sign and file those device running 3.1 firmware...not 3.0.x

Saurik is not able to file any firmware that's earlier than 3.1 since APPLE just stop signing old firmware. Saurik's service rely on Apple's signage of the firmware.

That's what I understand, correct me if I am wrong guys.