Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: etc/hosts question

Default etc/hosts question
    so im confussed about the etc/host file... there seems to be more than one file (im assuming they are all the same but didnt check all of them) when I try to add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and save it says that it cannot be saved. so i just tried to run it with the file open and still no go... am I not on the same page?
    If it aint broke... you aint try'en hard enough

Not sure what OS you running, but before you open the hosts file you need to either run as an administrator or give your self full access including write permissions to edit the file. Then when you open the hosts file open it in notepad and add the line to the next free line at the bottom and click save. *****MAKE YOURSELF A COPY OF THIS JUST INCASE YOU FONGUL IT*****
    16GB Black 3GS limping on 3.1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RWADE For This Useful Post:

fryfone (09-14-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by fryfone View Post
    so im confussed about the etc/host file... there seems to be more than one file (im assuming they are all the same but didnt check all of them) when I try to add 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and save it says that it cannot be saved. so i just tried to run it with the file open and still no go... am I not on the same page?
    try this from a terminal window (assuming you're using a Mac)

Code:
    sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts
    If you know vi (which I prefer from a terminal) you could use that as well.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sirsycho For This Useful Post:

alphabeta2 (09-15-2009), animalside (09-15-2009), fryfone (09-14-2009)

thanks I'll try that

I could restore but when it's time to jailbreak, my iphone 3GS cannot end the jailbreak process. It rolls down hundreds of lines of "waiting for NAND to appear..." Any idea ??

my real question in here im some what of a newby to this i barely got a mac and i wanna know how to downgrade to 3.0 i have an iphone 3gs with 3.1 upadte.
    can i downgrade and jailbreak.?
    i have sauriks ecid thing on my iphone i think cuz my iphone was jailbroken and i downloaded his thing it asked me so i did it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosBee View Post
    my real question in here im some what of a newby to this i barely got a mac and i wanna know how to downgrade to 3.0 i have an iphone 3gs with 3.1 upadte.
    can i downgrade and jailbreak.?
    i have sauriks ecid thing on my iphone i think cuz my iphone was jailbroken and i downloaded his thing it asked me so i did it.
    If you're "on file", which sounds like you are... then use the command above to edit your hosts file and follow Saurik's instructions from his site. (the entry you're supposed to add is on his site... search for gs.apple.com)

thanks for the help guys... saddly i dont think my file was saved... I did jb saturday on my replacement 3G[s] and I swear that i did the make my life easier (but maybe i got it mixed up with my previous unit) and I was fored to restore be cause a i couldnt turn off the voice option thing be cause I couldnt open sbsettings ( i had my settings icon in there) so it seems that I may have shot myself in the foot until the devs come up with a new jb... thanks for all the help tho it wrked in a sense...

what are you using? if your using redsnow make sure your using .8 and be patient, you may have to do the process more than once

long shot... but is there a way to use my previous ecid?
    Last edited by fryfone; 09-14-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

everyone should read this who even remotely cares about their jailbroken 3g[s]. there are so many people who post off the news threads. i thought there would be 100 posts by now, but i guess not. looks like we'll have to think this in some replies on the news threads as well. some people just don't want to do the research themselves, they want to be spoon fed the information.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

or do one better and follow the devs on twitter and get the info first hand...

Quote Originally Posted by fryfone View Post
    or do one better and follow the devs on twitter and get the info first hand...
    exactly. I have no use for twitter, but following saurik, dev_team & MuscleNerd has kept me in the loop. Makes me feel all smart and stuff at work when I know something about what's going on that other jailbreakers don't.

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    exactly. I have no use for twitter, but following saurik, dev_team & MuscleNerd has kept me in the loop. Makes me feel all smart and stuff at work when I know something about what's going on that other jailbreakers don't.

yes sir! dont forget geohot...

ok anyone step by step on how to do his lol

i swear i have no idea what to do when you guys say

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com < where am i supposed to put that..?

The step by step is on saurik's site (linked at the top of this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosBee View Post
    ok anyone step by step on how to do his lol

i swear i have no idea what to do when you guys say

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com < where am i supposed to put that..?
    Go to Finder, do Shift + Command + G and paste /private/etc/ then go to the file named "hosts", open it in TextEdit.app with root permissions and add this line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the end of the file, then save it. That's it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rogerssssss For This Useful Post:

MarcosBee (09-14-2009), mulkinaz (09-15-2009)

getting "iPhone could not be restoed. an unknown error occured (13)"
    should we be using itunes 8.2?
    any other things left out of the instructions?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogerssssss View Post
    Go to Finder, do Shift + Command + G and paste /private/etc/ then go to the file named "hosts", open it in TextEdit.app with root permissions and add this line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" at the end of the file, then save it. That's it.
    Do we include the # symbol that is at the front of every single other line in that file? I'm using Windows 7 btw...

Quick question about this process too...I have a jail broken 3GS that was updated to 3.01 and used a 3.0 IPSW to jail break. My phone is functional, but Supreme Preferences 3.0 botched it up pretty badly, and I need to restore.

Should I download and upgrade to 3.1 and then follow Saurik's guide to go to 3.0? Or should I try and do it with a 3.0 IPSW or 3.01 IPSW?

Thanks for any info

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch_thedevil View Post
    Do we include the # symbol that is at the front of every single other line in that file? I'm using Windows 7 btw...

Quick question about this process too...I have a jail broken 3GS that was updated to 3.01 and used a 3.0 IPSW to jail break. My phone is functional, but Supreme Preferences 3.0 botched it up pretty badly, and I need to restore.

Should I download and upgrade to 3.1 and then follow Saurik's guide to go to 3.0? Or should I try and do it with a 3.0 IPSW or 3.01 IPSW?

Thanks for any info
    No, do not include the #.
    Do not upgrade to 3.1 if you care about the baseband and unlocking the iPhone !!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

seems like apple is getting closer and closer to putting a stop to jailbreaking.......NOT!!!!
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogerssssss View Post
    No, do not include the #.
    Do not upgrade to 3.1 if you care about the baseband and unlocking the iPhone !!!
    Well, I am with AT&T and don't really care about unlocking, as long as I can jb...but I WANT MMS on my phone, so wondering if the upgrade will make this easier. I have read the other tuts on how to get it working, but haven't had time to test, or another phone as they use in some of the cases.

Thanks for the info...any other info on 3.1? If I upgrade and then downgrade and JB, the only thing that changes is my baseband, which means I can't unlock it, but does the baseband have anything to do with MMS settings?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast