Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: etc/hosts question

Thumbs up iPhone 3Gs successfully restored to 3.0 with Saurik's caching server
    Many thanks to Saurik! Just completed my iPhone 3Gs restore to 3.0 from a looping 3.01 (dumb mistake while compiling some code locally).

Great instructions and insight on Apple's corporate bullying tactics.

It paid to hold off on the 3.1 upgrade just to get a working phone back.

Quote Originally Posted by rjc-modmyi View Post
    Many thanks to Saurik! Just completed my iPhone 3Gs restore to 3.0 from a looping 3.01 (dumb mistake while compiling some code locally).

Great instructions and insight on Apple's corporate bullying tactics.

It paid to hold off on the 3.1 upgrade just to get a working phone back.
    May be it has something to do, but I am in Canada and MMS is working on my iPhone 3GS with 3.0 and baseband 05.11.07.

^^^Yeah, seems like the MMS thing is tied specifically to at&t in the US. They say they will have us all set up and good to go by the 25th of this month.

Default after hacking hosts file, then what? let iTunes ping apple?
    ok, modded hosts file
    but now what?
    it sounds like we should get our 3.1 ECIDs cached asap (like now, even before the JB is avail?)
    if yes, how?

just open itunes and connect phone?

or is this just the result of potentially confusing writing?

is the addition of an ECID *only* possible through cydia?
    (it doesn't seem like this is the case since saurik says that even non jailbreakers should reg their ECIDs)

>>>>>?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    can someone shoot a screenshot of his Windows Vista's complete host file opened with note pad so we can all know where to put the ip ?

Quote Originally Posted by fekaylius View Post
    ok, modded hosts file
    but now what?
    it sounds like we should get our 3.1 ECIDs cached asap (like now, even before the JB is avail?)
    if yes, how?

just open itunes and connect phone?

or is this just the result of potentially confusing writing?

is the addition of an ECID *only* possible through cydia?
    (it doesn't seem like this is the case since saurik says that even non jailbreakers should reg their ECIDs)

>>>>>?

If you are currently running 3.1 then you can go ahead and do the process of changing the host file and restoring your phone to 3.1 (or 3.0 if you were able to get your ECIDs on file with Cydia last week). Doing this will store your ECID on Cydia's server and you will always be able to downgrade or restore to 3.1 (or 3.0) in the future. But, if you are still on 3.0 and jailbroken or care about jailbreaking then you should wait until Saurik makes the ECID storing process available though Cydia. This will let you store your ECID for a future 3.1 downgrade/restore while still keeping your phone on 3.0 and jailbroken/jailbreakable.

When I open the "host" file in Text Edit...

I get always a message that I do not have sufficent rights to write in the "host" file. But as I checked the rights (on MAC OSX) in "informations" of "hosts" there is shown "reading & writing" for me in this file. But it still doesn't work.

Can anyone give me some advise?

Quote Originally Posted by marcus72ch View Post
    When I open the "host" file in Text Edit...

I get always a message that I do not have sufficent rights to write in the "host" file. But as I checked the rights (on MAC OSX) in "informations" of "hosts" there is shown "reading & writing" for me in this file. But it still doesn't work.

Can anyone give me some advise?
    I'm getting the same thing, I've changed the permissions to read and write but I can't save the file.

Help!

Ah, got it.

You need to change the permissions of the etc folder to read and write - and then you can save the changes to the file.
    Last edited by Ewan Hoozarmy; 09-15-2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ewan Hoozarmy For This Useful Post:

marcus72ch (09-15-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewan Hoozarmy View Post
    I'm getting the same thing, I've changed the permissions to read and write but I can't save the file.

Help!

Ah, got it.

You need to change the permissions of the etc folder to read and write - and then you can save the changes to the file.

Yes meanwhile I got it also but on another way. I copied the "hosts" file to desktop, inserted the new line and copied it back into the original folder.

Then I did the whole restore stuff (twice as it was explained) and started redsn0w.

The Jailbreaking process started, the redsn=w program said "finish" but at the end of the jailbreaking process (on the iPhone) it stopped and stayed at around 80% for more then 15minutes. So I had to unplug the iPhone and make a restart.

Then I tried the whole redsn0w stuff again, but with same result!

Has anyone an Idea?

I edited the the hosts file and now I have a simple question.

How do I know if I did it right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

I would appreciate a little help please. I have read Saurik's entire post and it was great but I'm having a difficult time with the "Hosts" file change. After I add the line it will not let me save the Host file. I read in a few posts above this one that you need to change the Read and Write permissions but I cannot figure out how to do that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Go Gators; 09-15-2009 at 08:33 AM.

ON MAC OSX..

Select the "Host" File, Choose "Ablage" (in german) or "file" (I think in english) in the upper left corner.

Go to "Informations" then look at the bottom where you see "sharing & permissions" (I think in english). There choose "read & write" for your Useraccount.

Do this for the File itself and also for the complete "etc" folder.

The try again to change the "host" file in the Texteditor.

Or (the way I did it). Change permissions only for the "host" file itself, then copy it to desktop, open in Texteditor, inset the text line, save it and copy the host file back into the etc folder (you will be asked for your password to do this)

I hope this will help!

Meanwhile I also figured out how to solve the problem with the iphone "Crashing" at about 80% of the redsnow jailbreak. I simply tried purplera1n and it worked!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks a lot!! Glad you got yours working too.

EDIT: I got it to save. Thanks again. You were right. You have to change the permissions to read and write in both the "etc" and "hosts" files. Click on File in the top left corner and then click on Get Info.
    Last edited by Go Gators; 09-15-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Ok guys I've read the sauriks post and all the info on modmyi on how to change the host file in Vista. From start menu I right click on notepad and run as admin. I make the necessary changes but when I go to save it says windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts path could not be found and it saves the changes to a new .txt file.

Could someone give detailed instructions on how to do this and change the permissions and ownerships in Windows Vista? Thanks.

Im just on Windows xp and i have no idea what to do with CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

I can find it in run/browse i can get close in note pad, well as i find etc but not host.

Can any body help us dumblings on computer LOL

Streetwise: when in etc, in the box that says search for of whatever you have to enable search for all files not just .txt files. Now if someone could give detailed windows instructions that would be appreciated.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-15-2009)

Try and check the post "straight from sauriks fingers"

I tried doing it on my mac but its not able to save the hosts file after adding that.. What do i do ??

i am not able to change the setting to read and write under sharing and permissions on mac OS.. What do i do ??
    Last edited by dc1387; 09-15-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Try saving it somewhere else (desktop or something) then copy it from the desktop to the original folder and overwrite the first one (after you make a backup of the original, of course).

That's what I had to do in Vista, and it worked great.

i am not able to change the setting to read and write under sharing and permissions on mac OS.. What do i do ??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast