Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: Ok, What's the next step?
09-14-2009, 07:23 PM #1Ok, What's the next step?
Like all of us, I've been waiting for the 3.1 JB, eagerly anticipating every new post by saurik. I just read his latest Caching Apple's Signature Server on his site, and I have some questions. And since he directed us to post here, I figured I'd get the avalanche started.
First off, I'm pretty sure many people are in the same situation I am, so I'll describe where I'm at:
I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w, unlocked with ultrasn0w, T-Mobile.
When Cydia recently updated I opted IN, so now when I log on to Cydia I get the message "This iPhone 3G[S] has an ECID SHSH on file. Good for me, right?
I have been avoiding iTunes like the plague, so I have not upgraded to iTunes 9 and have not upgraded to firmware 3.1.
So, my question is, what's my next step? Should I just hang tight and do nothing?
Thanks in advance for the help.
09-14-2009, 07:32 PM #2
I just wanna downgrade form 3.1
lol watever you do dont upgrade lol im hard headed so i did it and now im trying to downgrade
09-14-2009, 07:44 PM #3
STAY ON 3.0.1
i upgraded and now im trying to downgrade.
its not worth it at all to upgrade
09-14-2009, 07:47 PM #4
If you want to keep T-Mobile, just keep avoiding the iphone update. Once you do an official apple update, you will lose your unlockable baseband.
09-14-2009, 07:56 PM #5
Yeah, sounds like I should just do nothing and hang tight. Hope saurik's downgrade instructions/method works for everyone.
L00i3, so in other words, are we all still waiting for a true jailbreak/unlock solution before upgrade to 3.1?
Last edited by ErnieChiara; 09-14-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM #6
Yeah. There is no official jailbreak for 3.1 yet. from what I understand, dev-team has something working, but the have not released it yet. If you have a mac, or at least access to one, they are working on pwnagetool first, as it will allow an upgrade to 3.1 WITHOUT updating the baseband (hence keeping the unlock capabilities) through use of custom firmware. At least that's how I interpret it. I use Vista, so I have to be patient and wait for a redsn0w update. Luckily I have no desire to unlock as I have no problems with at&t, so a jailbreak is all I am hoping for.
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM #7
Cool. I'm on T-Mobile, so I need JB & unlock. I'm going to just wait it out. Would be nice if I could upgrade to iTunes 9 without updating to 3.1. Anyone know if that's doable?
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM #8
Yes u can updat iTunes to 9 , I have , just don't update your iPhone !
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM #9
Yep, they say itunes 9 works just fine with jailbroken/unlocked devices. Just don't let it upgrade your phone. I am personally staying away from itunes 9 until 3.1 is jailbroke as the only feature I like is the app management with a mouse rather than finger. but you need itunes 9 & iphone os 3.1 for it to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:
09-14-2009, 08:28 PM #10
Great info. Thanks very much. Sounds like a good idea L00i3. BTW, glad your downgrade & jb worked.
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM #11
well, got an issue with iTunes 9, just curious if anyone else seen it or is it just me? when u updated to iTunes 9, and synced my iPhone, everything came out of my categories folder even i am seeing files i've never seen with icons having Question marks, Each time i sync iTunes 9 does this, any app that is in my categories folder is shown on spring board, Even Sbsettings, which has no icon in spring board, i have it's icon too , i downgraded iTunes, and now i am fine. so is it just me?
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM #12
I wonder if that has anything to do with on-computer app management? Since there is no support for jailbreak apps? Just my stab at a possible "answer"
09-14-2009, 08:57 PM #13
I am in a similar situation like you. I am on 3.0.1 and would just like to restore to 3.0.1 or 3.0. Can it be done?
09-14-2009, 09:04 PM #14
I upgraded to iTunes 9 but have kept my iPhone 3GS on the original 3.0 software. So far I have not had any problems. I have been able to sync my phone with iTunes and nothing has changed from the last iTunes I was using.
I am in a different position than the original poster:
1. I am using a 3GS with 3.0 software jailbroken but not unlocked (although I still could if I wanted to). I am fine with AT&T but I want to keep the unlock option open in case I want to sell the 3GS next year when the new version comes out as I did this year with my 3G.
2. When I tried to "Opt IN" via Cydia to get my ECID on file with their server I was too late and my phone could not be "hashed"
From Saurik's post tonight it seems like he is opening the "Opt IN" feature again tonight but only for people using 3.1 (and thus not jailbroken). Am I correct about this? Will I be able to Opt IN tonight if I am still using 3.0? I am not going to upgrade to 3.1, even if it means getting my ECID on file with Cydia because a non-jailbroken iPhone is much less useful to me and who knows if/when the dev team will release a new Pwnage or Redsnow for 3.1
Thanks for any info!
09-14-2009, 10:30 PM #15
Last edited by iphonefreakify; 09-14-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM #16
I am definitely not going to do anything because not only do I not want to lose my current JB but I also don't want to have my baseband changed which will prevent me from being able to unlock in the future.
I found out from Saurik that while my phone is not hashed in Cydia's system for 3.0, it is already hashed for 3.1. Guess that means I will only be able to downgrade to 3.1 if I ever need to use this... oh well. As long as their is a JB for 3.1 I will be OK.
09-14-2009, 10:50 PM #17
if 3.1 get's jailbreaked ( that i am sure it will ) then who wants to downgrade and for what?
09-14-2009, 10:57 PM #18
I think it's a safety net for when 3.1.1 or 3.2 come out. You know that apple is going to come out with a few more firmware upgrades in the near future (MMS for AT&T) and when you do a restore they will probably force you to restore to whatever the newest firmware is at that time. First of all, that firmware won't be immediately jailbroken. Second, Apple may finally come up with a way to completely shut down jailbreak. So, having your info on file with Cydia will enable you to go backwards to 3.1 which will hopefully be completely jailbreakable.