Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS in boot cycle

Default 3GS in boot cycle
    So, to start here's my situation (which is probably more unique than others)...

I have a 3GS, unlocked with ultrasn0w, which since installing some crappy package is now in a constant boot cycle.

The only way I can fix it and keep my unlock would be to restore to 3.0.1 or create a custom IPSW for 3.1 and use that but as neither of these are possible right now the only way to make the phone turn on would be to restore to 3.1 and update the baseband.

I have my IBSS/IBEC files but I didnt get there in time to get SHSH onto sauriks server so I don't have that.

So, questions...

1, Will I be able to ever use my IBSS/IBEC to create a custom 3.1 IPSW without the baseband update.

-or-

2, Was the exploit found in 3.1 in the baseband or in the iphone firmware?.. I understand as details of the exploit are sketchy at best, nobody might know this.

Thanks to anyone that knows!

edit: I have one additional question for anyone that can answer it: Is it theoretically possible to SSH into a phone in recovery or DFU mode, or say to use the same process as was used to jailbreak to gain access to the filesystem?

If this were possible it would no doubt save a lot of 3GS users like me who are forced to restore, I could go into the phone and uninstall the last packages via SSH and hopefully make it work.
    Last edited by Comedy; 09-14-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more q's!

same here!
    but i think there will be a custom firmware to upgrade to 3.1 with jailbreak and unlock!
    so i have to put my iphone on the left and wait with my nokia to restore my iphone with a custom firmware!

The exploit is in the 3.1 firmware. It has been said many many many many many many times that the updated baseband IS NOT able to be unlocked now, with the possibility of NEVER being able to be unlocked again. Apparently apple really locked it down this time around. If you have a mac, stay with 3.0 or 3.0.1 and just wait for PwnageTool 3.1. If like me you have a real computer, I hope you just want a jailbreak and don't need an unlock.

Not sure of that happening any time soon. Based on Sauriks post here Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) you need to use your phone now (before 3.1 becomes unsigned), go into Cydia and let it cache the SHSH hashes. As neither of us can turn our phones on we might be S.O.L.

The only hope for our situation is that at some point it's possible to use just the 3.0 IBSS/IBEC to load any of the firmwares without quereying apples server. No idea if anyone is working on a tool for this but i think it's safe to say it's beyone me.