• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Samsung Subtly Jabs at Apple Lawsuits in Super Bowl Ad


    With Super Bowl XLVII on tap for this weekend, that means there's not only a barrage of football on the way, there's also a litany of must-see commercials that will beam into our living rooms everywhere on Sunday, leaving us all chatting about them on Monday.

    One of the early 2013 standouts of this annual premium commercial showcase is Samsung, which is already logging hundreds of thousands of views (1.7 million in total) with a new Super Bowl teaser ad that, among other things, teases the legal battles between the company and tech rival Apple.

    The teaser pointS out the highly litigious environment of today's business world. This argument is illustrated beautifully through the interplay by actors Seth Rogen, Bob Odenkirk and Paul Rudd, who are trying to come up with an idea for their Super Bowl ad, but hilariously can’t say any of the actual words associated with the Super Bow.

    For example, instead of saying the "Super Bowl" with the 49ers and the Ravens, they end up calling the game “the big plate” featuring the San Francisco “50 minus one-es” and the Baltimore “black birds.”

    The three never mention Apple, Samsung, rounded corners or anything like that, but it’s fairly clear what they’re talking about here. Samsung and Apple are still locked in a multi-national copyright war, and its easy to interpret Apple as the unnamed sue happy other in the spot.
    If you haven't already, check out the spot below.



    Source: Fortune
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Samsung Subtly Jabs at Apple Lawsuits in Super Bowl Ad started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 25 Comments
    1. Feanor64's Avatar
      Feanor64 -
      Alot smarter than calling apple owners dumb,its really funny keep it up samsung...
    1. Senyaichiya's Avatar
      Senyaichiya -
      That was really lame.
      Samsung should just play up whatever they have and stop trying to make subtle/not so subtle jabs at Apple already.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Coming from a company that skinned Android to looks more like iOS...
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Is it more or did I miss the "jab" was it the "cant say it cause you'll get sued" part?
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      Is it more or did I miss the "jab" was it the "cant say it cause you'll get sued" part?
      Yeah, they are trying to point out how ridiculous patents and the law is... and while I agree, most companies at least try avoiding patent lawsuits and respect the law.

      I have to say... Sal from Breaking Bad would make a great lawyer for Samsung since he is experienced in protecting people that can't follow rules.
    1. REMED1AL's Avatar
      REMED1AL -
      How is this a jab at Apple? Hell, this is further evidence that when a company creates and markets something they protect it. Recently all of Apple's products, NFL "Super Bowl" and Chrysler's slogan "Built in Detroit" have been taken for the gain of someone other than the rightful owner and they have sued to protect it.

      Did everyone forget the when the NFL threatened to sue a church for advertising a Super Bowl party? Not to mention they have aggressively been pursuing the shut down of any effort to use the Super Bowl with paying for it's rights?

      Forbes has a write-up...
    1. i113's Avatar
      i113 -
      Maybe it's Samsung making fun of themselves for trying to find ways to copy things without being sued.

      And I'm sure they can't say NFL, Super Bowl, etc because it would cost them millions more to be "official" partners. They're merely advertisers that pay millions.

      Either way, the clip is funny.
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Apple is like a 4 year old that constantly says MINE

      Apple is holding other companies and themselves back from learning from each other and making the best product that they can for the customer

      Apple patents everything they own because they are scared it will get copied, is Samsung doing this?
      Apple is constantly suing a company instead of trying to work with a company

      What if Apple actually teamed up with Samsung and made an Amazing phone?
    1. xzero's Avatar
      xzero -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Apple is like a 4 year old that constantly says MINE

      Apple is holding other companies and themselves back from learning from each other and making the best product that they can for the customer

      Apple patents everything they own because they are scared it will get copied, is Samsung doing this?
      Apple is constantly suing a company instead of trying to work with a company

      What if Apple actually teamed up with Samsung and made an Amazing phone?
      Why would Samsung team up with Apple? Samsung makes massive phones that are at least 2-3 years of any Apple phone. Samsung would not team up to make a 4 inch phone. On another note, Android mixed with iOS sounds like the dumbest thing ever heard. People who go for Android want innovative phones that are customizable to the max. People who go for iOS want simplicity and want to just Call/Text/Browse the web. iOS is made for the simple minded and who could care less for any customization. Samsung wouldn't dumb down their phone line to team up with Apple.

      And Apple sues everybody because they want to protect their patents. Every company sues, you just do not hear about every single suit because they are not advertised. Samsung probably sues and gets sued more than Apple but not that many people know that.

      And for the copying segment you wrote about, how many different ways can you design a tablet? Like 90% of tablets are copies of each other. Look at the Nook tablet by barnes and noble, its the same thing as an iPad but the home button is an upside down U instead of a rounded square.
    1. crackertime's Avatar
      crackertime -
      I admit that this is an overly simplistic way to look at it but consider this:

      When phone lines came along they were government owned, and everyone had the right to one (as internet connections should be). If the first company to make a phone was able to patent every aspect of it to the point that all other phone had to be ridiculous we would have had one kind of phone. Again this is a crude analogy. The rectangular-ness of a tablet, and its rounded edges to me seems like patenting the fact that a phone has a base and a receiver that you lift. All other phones must have a different way of being answered. It is too vague and sets back the whole industry too much. Some things have to become standard for a new technology to flourish.
    1. ttthomas's Avatar
      ttthomas -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      Yeah, they are trying to point out how ridiculous patents and the law is... and while I agree, most companies at least try avoiding patent lawsuits and respect the law.

      I have to say... Sal from Breaking Bad would make a great lawyer for Samsung since he is experienced in protecting people that can't follow rules.
      Keep in mind that although three white guys appear in this commercial the culture of South Korea and the ruling family elite at Samsung simply don't think or operate the same way Americans in the United States do.

      There is a very valid reason South Korea is listed 38th on the List of countries by Corruption Perceptions Index. Dirty dirty business if you look into Lee Kun-hee.

      Samsung: power, corruption and lies – Mic Wright – The Kernel
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      Shamsung is so lame, they poke fun at potential customers of other items they produce. I've banned all Shamsung units of any appliance in my house.
      I guess they can't just show their product as they know it doesn't compare well. They have to stoop and make fun of CONSUMERS. dumb @$/'s.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      Yeah, they are trying to point out how ridiculous patents and the law is... and while I agree, most companies at least try avoiding patent lawsuits and respect the law.

      I have to say... Sal from Breaking Bad would make a great lawyer for Samsung since he is experienced in protecting people that can't follow rules.
      Better call Sal !
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      This commerical was for what product again?
    1. atorres062's Avatar
      atorres062 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      This commerical was for what product again?
      EXACTLY! But it was kind of funny.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      This commerical was for what product again?
      Pretty much the best point made in this entire post lol

      Aside from that my favorite part in all this are the people on either side that actually feel some form of anger or emotion over these companies feuding. However own no stock and have no real stake in the success no failure of either.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Please proof read and spell check your work before posting it Michael. I know we keep asking, but you keep forgetting.

      On another note, it's pathetic how MMi will grasp at straws for any opportunity to post a story where they can use the word Samsung in a negative light, but fail to report on actual Apple news such as the fact that for the first time ever, Apple is now the #1 Smart Phone Vendor in the U.S.

      You're probably too busy re-working the same rumour article to post again. Sure it's been a week...
    1. shigh's Avatar
      shigh -
      Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
      Why would Samsung team up with Apple? Samsung makes massive phones that are at least 2-3 years of any Apple phone. Samsung would not team up to make a 4 inch phone. On another note, Android mixed with iOS sounds like the dumbest thing ever heard. People who go for Android want innovative phones that are customizable to the max. People who go for iOS want simplicity and want to just Call/Text/Browse the web. iOS is made for the simple minded and who could care less for any customization. Samsung wouldn't dumb down their phone line to team up with Apple.

      And Apple sues everybody because they want to protect their patents. Every company sues, you just do not hear about every single suit because they are not advertised. Samsung probably sues and gets sued more than Apple but not that many people know that.

      And for the copying segment you wrote about, how many different ways can you design a tablet? Like 90% of tablets are copies of each other. Look at the Nook tablet by barnes and noble, its the same thing as an iPad but the home button is an upside down U instead of a rounded square.
      Cue mod edit. **** you. Simple mind this chump. Hit an android forum. Ill take the penalty from this forum n smile.
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Haha, that was funny.
    1. bigbaba's Avatar
      bigbaba -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      Apple is like a 4 year old that constantly says MINE

      Apple is holding other companies and themselves back from learning from each other and making the best product that they can for the customer

      Apple patents everything they own because they are scared it will get copied, is Samsung doing this?
      Apple is constantly suing a company instead of trying to work with a company

      What if Apple actually teamed up with Samsung and made an Amazing phone?

      actually apple did try to work with Samsung before they went to court. Samsung told Apple to go fly a kite.