• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Planetbeing Hopes to Release iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak After About a Week


    Ever since the official public release of iOS 6.1 yesterday, the iOS hacker team, known as evad3rs, has been hard at work in debugging and building a jailbreak method. It was confirmed that the public version of iOS 6.1 was jailbreak safe, and that the iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak would include over 22 variants of iOS devices including the new iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPod touch 5G, and latest iPad with retina display.

    Planetbeing, part of the evad3rs iOS hacking team, has come forward early Tuesday morning saying that he hopes the iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak will be ready after about a week. As expected, he says there’s always the possibility that it could come sooner or later, depending on their luck and progress.

    MuscleNerd also hinted on Monday that something special might surface on Super Bowl Sunday. Perhaps the iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak? No one knows for sure yet.

    Planetbeing also says that there’s no rush to get your devices to iOS 6.1 just yet, however if you want to be prepared for the inevitable, you can update right now if you want to. Be sure to update through iTunes instead of OTA (over the air) updating. Planetbeing recommends a full restore to iOS 6.1.

    TinyUmbrella was also updated with iOS 6.1 support so you can save your iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs – alternatively, you can also use redsn0w. The blobs aren't very useful at this point in time, but they may turn up useful in the future.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Planetbeing Hopes to Release iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak After About a Week started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 130 Comments
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      What's the benefit of a full restore to 6.1 over just updating? I updated yesterday. Do I really need to go through the hassle of a restore?
      They suggest updating through iTunes since it clears all old files and replaces them w/ clean ones. The OTA update only adds and replaces 'some' missing files but not all of them.

      Also, MNerd said that SHSH blobs might be different when using OTA but I don't understand that part.

      If I were you, I'd stay w/ the OTA update and wait for the jailbreak to come out. Then, see if you have any problems w/ the jailbreak and report them to the Devs. I'm considering downgrading back to 6.0.2 before the signing window closes and then doing an OTA update instead. The worst that could happen is that I'd have to do a full restore if I had issues after the jalibreak.

      In your case, you're already talking about doing a full restore so you might as well wait and see how the jailbreak reacts to your OTA update!

      Quote Originally Posted by todomz View Post
      I updated OTA. Then I read the in detail the prepare instructions and restored my iPhone via ITunes. Shouldn't I be ok now?
      Yes
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      The main problem with an OTA update for A5+ devices is explained here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

      In summary, the APtickets you get would not qualify the device for a clean restore outside of Apple's signing window. (That might still be the case on 6.1, but you have a better chance with clever folks like MuscleNerd working on this.) Depending on the state of the file system, you may be able to jailbreak an OTA update, but if something went awry later (once Apple had stopped signing 6.1) and you wanted to do a clean restore, the OTA update tickets would guarantee you wouldn't be able to.

      The safest option is to do a full restore through iTunes and then save your shsh blobs.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      They suggest updating through iTunes since it clears all old files and replaces them w/ clean ones. The OTA update only adds and replaces 'some' missing files but not all of them.

      Also, MNerd said that SHSH blobs might be different when using OTA but I don't understand that part.

      If I were you, I'd stay w/ the OTA update and wait for the jailbreak to come out. Then, see if you have any problems w/ the jailbreak and report them to the Devs. I'm considering downgrading back to 6.0.2 before the signing window closes and then doing an OTA update instead. The worst that could happen is that I'd have to do a full restore if I had issues after the jalibreak.

      In your case, you're already talking about doing a full restore so you might as well wait and see how the jailbreak reacts to your OTA update!
      I didn't do the OTA update. I updated through iTunes...but I had the options of "Update" or "Restore." I chose the "update" option in iTunes.

      In any case, like you suggested, I'll just wait 'til the JB is released and if I have problems I'll do the restore.
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      I hope Cydia is optimized for the iPhone 5 screen!
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Typically the OTA does not cause problems during the initial JB. The problems arise when apple releases another update and you do a restore to a firmware they are not signing. So if you wait, and then have an issue later, you bay once again be without a JB.

      Good luck bro!
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Im sure it will be.
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
      I hope Cydia is optimized for the iPhone 5 screen!
      It won't be.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      From Planetbeing this am:

      “@evad3rs_team: if all goes well, iOS 6.1 #jailbreak untethered will go public on sunday plz retweet”
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      I didn't do the OTA update. I updated through iTunes...but I had the options of "Update" or "Restore." I chose the "update" option in iTunes.

      In any case, like you suggested, I'll just wait 'til the JB is released and if I have problems I'll do the restore.
      Then you'll be fine!
    1. Mrquarter's Avatar
      Mrquarter -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      From Planetbeing this am:

      “@evad3rs_team: if all goes well, iOS 6.1 #jailbreak untethered will go public on sunday plz retweet”
      That is not the real evad3rs twitter account.
    1. noles4423's Avatar
      noles4423 -
      So basically backup your phone via iTunes first then do a restore to 6.1?
    1. andygev35's Avatar
      andygev35 -
      Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
      Ever since yesterday? Seriously, it's been a few hours not a few years.

      evad3rs are a group of multiple people with plural name so it should be evad3rs have been, not evad3rs has been.

      I swear the quality of writing here deteriorates by the day…
      Now you're really showing your ignorance. The subject of that sentence is TEAM (singular). Yes, the team is a group of multiple individuals, but the TEAM HAS been hard at work.
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Guys when i restore, should i set as new phone or restore from backup?
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      Guys when i restore, should i set as new phone or restore from backup?
      You can restore from your backup. It shouldn't hurt anything.
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      They suggest updating through iTunes since it clears all old files and replaces them w/ clean ones. The OTA update only adds and replaces 'some' missing files but not all of them.

      Also, MNerd said that SHSH blobs might be different when using OTA but I don't understand that part.

      If I were you, I'd stay w/ the OTA update and wait for the jailbreak to come out. Then, see if you have any problems w/ the jailbreak and report them to the Devs. I'm considering downgrading back to 6.0.2 before the signing window closes and then doing an OTA update instead. The worst that could happen is that I'd have to do a full restore if I had issues after the jalibreak.

      In your case, you're already talking about doing a full restore so you might as well wait and see how the jailbreak reacts to your OTA update!



      Yes
      If your on 6.1 why would you downgrade back to 6.0.2 only to OTA to 6.1? But just so you know the 6.0.2 signing window is already closed, it closed right when 6.1 released so even if you wanted to do that, it's not possible anymore
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
      Ever since yesterday? Seriously, it's been a few hours not a few years.

      evad3rs are a group of multiple people with plural name so it should be evad3rs have been, not evad3rs has been.

      I swear the quality of writing here deteriorates by the day…

      Like you could do better Mr. multiple grammatical and punctuation errors.

      If you are going to bash someone else's writing, at least do it correctly or, wow, I just thought of this, maybe don't bash unpaid journalists!!
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mrquarter View Post
      That is not the real evad3rs twitter account.
      I thought I loaded the 'official' Twitter feed posted here a couple of days ago. It's the only Twitter feed I have. Is this not the real feed?
      Check it out:
    1. mirmo's Avatar
      mirmo -
      Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
      Ever since yesterday? Seriously, it's been a few hours not a few years.

      evad3rs are a group of multiple people with plural name so it should be evad3rs have been, not evad3rs has been.

      I swear the quality of writing here deteriorates by the day…
      evad3rs is their team. and it's singular.

      mod edit: do not insult other members
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Sorry to disagree but I loaded the 'official' Twitter feed posted here a couple of days ago. It's the only Twitter feed I have.
      Check it out:

      Is that not the real Evaders twitter feed?
      Nope, thats a fake.
      Fake: https://twitter.com/evad3rs_team
      Real: https://twitter.com/evad3rs

      See under the fake one they have some weird ujailbreakiphone site listed as home page. That fake one is nothing more than a bunch of scavengers pretending to be something they are not to promote their site.
      Fake has 1083 followers
      Real has 57,291 followers
      Fake has 7 totally BS tweets
      Real has no tweets yet
    1. norfskate's Avatar
      norfskate -
      Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
      Ever since yesterday? Seriously, it's been a few hours not a few years.

      evad3rs are a group of multiple people with plural name so it should be evad3rs have been, not evad3rs has been.

      I swear the quality of writing here deteriorates by the day…
      I swear the quality of posts here deteriorates by the day...

      :-P