• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Philip Schiller: iOS 6 is Already Running on 300M iOS Devices


    As a part of the iOS 6.1 press release that Apple sent out today, Apple’s very own Philip Schiller reveals that there are over 300,000,000 iOS devices, including iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads, running iOS 6 already. "It may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," says Schiller.

    iOS 6 was released in Fall of 2012 after going through several months of beta testing. It wasn’t exactly the most impressive and feature-filled iOS version that Apple has brought out, however the high numbers of iOS 6 adoption show that iOS 6 is faring just fine in comparison to older iOS versions, holding a very hefty portion of the entire iOS market.

    There have been 4 major releases of iOS 6 (6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, and 6.1) since its initial release in mid-September of 2012. iOS 6 has only been out to the public for about 4 months, and even though its criticisms of a poor Maps application, lack of a native YouTube application, and many other shortcomings beat down its reputation in the past, iOS 6 is still prevailing.

    The press release goes on to note that there are currently over 800,000 applications in the App Store; 300,000 of which are made solely for the iPad. App Store customers have also downloaded more than 40 billion applications in the App Store to date.

    Sources: Apple via Macgasm
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Philip Schiller: iOS 6 is Already Running on 300M iOS Devices started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. jzhu625's Avatar
      jzhu625 -
      what's the point of this post again?
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      what's the point of this post again?
      I think to encourage us a to jump amongst the masses and update and to be counted! Only reason I'm going to update is for the pending JB...otherwise I'd just stay on 5.1.1...
    1. EVO's Avatar
      EVO -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      what's the point of this post again?
      This is a "news" section

      What are your expectations?
    1. pakitos's Avatar
      pakitos -
      Make it like 600M after todays JB announcement
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
      This is a "news" section

      What are your expectations?
      Exactly
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      what's the point of this post again?
      One could say the same about your comment.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      there are over 300,000,000 iOS devices
      a lot of iDevice shipped with iOS 6 already

      "It may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," says Schiller.
      or that people can't downgrade, to an OS of their choosing
    1. rcm's Avatar
      rcm -
      the odd part about this is the fact that they waited after first one member of evad3r begged apple to release ios 6.1, and second is that they released it right after the team informed us that the 6.1 JB would apply to all iDevices, I think Apple is actually relying on jailbreakers to get people to update their devices.
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      what's the point of this post again?
      Any creative journalism here has gone straight to hell in a hand basket. I'd rather wait for actual informative news than weed through all of the BS articles written by these obviously burned out reporters.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
      the odd part about this is the fact that they waited after first one member of evad3r begged apple to release ios 6.1, and second is that they released it right after the team informed us that the 6.1 JB would apply to all iDevices, I think Apple is actually relying on jailbreakers to get people to update their devices.
      I believe the whole point of 6.1 was to encourage JB devs to disclose all the vulns they know,
      so Apple can start on 7.0 / iPhone 5s / iPad 5 with a clean slate.
      If they stayed on 6.0, they'd seriously risk the chance that devteam
      and would opt to wait for the inevitable iOS 7 debut (and new hardware in March!)
      and wait
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
      Any creative journalism here has gone straight to hell in a hand basket. I'd rather wait for actual informative news than weed through all of the BS articles written by these obviously burned out reporters.
      Yet here you are reading it and reading the comments.
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      a lot of iDevice shipped with iOS 6 already



      or that people can't downgrade, to an OS of their choosing
      Yep, and a lot of devices out there didn't ship with iOS6 either. Also there are plenty of iDevices that can't upgrade to iOS6 due to hardware that's too old, what's your point?
    1. quicksilver47's Avatar
      quicksilver47 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
      what's the point of this post again?
      There really is no point I think.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
      Yep, and a lot of devices out there didn't ship with iOS6 either. Also there are plenty of iDevices that can't upgrade to iOS6 due to hardware that's too old, what's your point?
      That he can't claim that it's popular, because once your on it you can't go back and if you bought a device with it preinstalled you had no choice but to have it. So it's not popular, it's close to mandatory. Apart from those device that can't upgrade to it, which probably became paperweights for most people