• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Gridlee App in App Store Actually a MAME Emulator


    A new game which has been released recently in the App Store seems to be offering a little more than meets the eye. Gridlee was a game previously developed for the arcade back in 1982 but not released until now. As many would expect, itís a simple game but whatís interesting behind it is that it is built on the MAME4iOS engine. The information comes from the Touch Arcade, whose forum members made the discovery. The following was mentioned by the site:

    When word of this hit our forums, readers were quick to pull out iExplore and begin digging about the app's directory structure looking for a ROM folder. Well, it's in there, and sure enough, if one copies other MAME ROMs into that folder, the Gridlee app starts up with the standard MAME4iOS ROM listing, allowing for a great many games beyond just Gridlee to be played on the iPhone or iPad in this Universal app.
    As with the previous app that offered similar functionality, Gridlee is likely to be pulled from the App Store very quickly. Those of you who are interested in grabbing a working MAME emulator for your iPhone or iPad should get this game right now. To make the deal better than it already is, Gridlee is currently available for free.


    The previous app that offered similar functionality was iMAME and it was pulled from the App Store back in 2011 with a small bundle of included games. It was pulled when Apple discovered that more games could be added by dropping ROMís into a folder and Gridlee is no different. One thing to point out is that the game offers full iCade support since itís a MAME emulator. Those of you who have an iCade shoul definitely not pass this one up.

    Source: TouchArcade
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Gridlee App in App Store Actually a MAME Emulator started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 31 Comments
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      I downloaded it last night as to make sure I have it for the future.
    1. bencjedi's Avatar
      bencjedi -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      As of right now (9:15a Central Time), Gridlee is still LIVE in the App Store
      Hmm.. not showing up for some friends of mine who don't check their messages at midnight. 11:33am EST and I see it, but I assumed that is because the app page on my iPhone's appstore app is cached or something. I'll have my friend check again
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
      You have to actually play the Gridlee game program once for the roms folder to appear under \Documents

      I notice playing the game makes the folder appear and also it writes a gridlee.zip file into that folder. Smart of the developer to hide this and make the program create the structure after it is played. I bet Apple's appstore review board just played it and waved it on without looking at the folders in the sandbox that it created.
      Correct! When I installed it on another device and immediately tried adding my games, the folder didnt exist until I played the Gridlee game. Then it'll create/unlock the Documents folders
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Installed since the other day..im trying to find all of my roms at this point. I have over 1,000 on my Mac. Im going to search and install them. I like having a phone with JB like capabilities...hopefully the official JB is right around the corner :]
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Correct! When I installed it on another device and immediately tried adding my games, the folder didnt exist until I played the Gridlee game. Then it'll create/unlock the Documents folders
      Oh, hmm, I suppose I might have forgotten to launch the app first. When I went into iExplorer to the app folder, it had all the folders there. Most were empty though. I didn't bother trying to launch it first I guess to see if that truly did unlock the folders and have them show the content. Oh well, I got it now. Not sure what I'll do with it as most roms really suck pretty hard. LOL They are just too difficult to play without a real joystick and buttons. That's just me though.
    1. GenesisDH's Avatar
      GenesisDH -
      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Oh, hmm, I suppose I might have forgotten to launch the app first. When I went into iExplorer to the app folder, it had all the folders there. Most were empty though. I didn't bother trying to launch it first I guess to see if that truly did unlock the folders and have them show the content. Oh well, I got it now. Not sure what I'll do with it as most roms really suck pretty hard. LOL They are just too difficult to play without a real joystick and buttons. That's just me though.
      If they didn't change much from the actual Mame4iOS release, it should still have iCade, iControlpad and at least one other BT controller support. You could always try those setups.
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      Installed since the other day..im trying to find all of my roms at this point. I have over 1,000 on my Mac. Im going to search and install them. I like having a phone with JB like capabilities...hopefully the official JB is right around the corner :]
      I'm trying to find some roms to install. Where can I get them? They're not as easy to find as I thought. I keep finding links that look like I can download them, but they either don't work, or take me to a page in another language and I have no idea how to navigate it.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      I'm trying to find some roms to install. Where can I get them? They're not as easy to find as I thought. I keep finding links that look like I can download them, but they either don't work, or take me to a page in another language and I have no idea how to navigate it.
      We can't provide links to roms sorry, against forum rules.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      I'm trying to find some roms to install. Where can I get them? They're not as easy to find as I thought. I keep finding links that look like I can download them, but they either don't work, or take me to a page in another language and I have no idea how to navigate it.
      Send me your email address...I'll hook u up w/ a few games I have!
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      We can't provide links to roms sorry, against forum rules.
      Okay...thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Send me your email address...I'll hook u up w/ a few games I have!
      Sent you a PM.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Just got Blutrol working w/ Gridlee using a PS3 Controller!!! This is AWESOME!

      Can't wait to use this setup w/ AirPlay!