• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Releases iOS 6.1 Beta 5 to Developers


    Apple has Saturday evening released iOS 6.1 Beta 5 to developers for testing. The fifth beta of the future iOS 6 update includes redesigned iPod controls to the lock screen, the ability to purchase movie tickets through Fandango using Siri, and several security enhancements. iOS 6.1 Beta 5 is for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

    The previous beta of iOS 6.1 fixed a scrolling glitch that occurred on the iPhone 5 following rapid swipes on the touch screen, in addition to the features aforementioned.

    The news of the new beta comes as disappointing for jailbreakers looking forward to the iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak, as the golden master was expected to see launch sometime this coming week. iOS 6.1 Beta 4 expires this coming week as well. Hackers are waiting on iOS 6.1 to see if the new firmware can yield a public jailbreak. Unfortunately, this means jailbreakers will have to wait longer as well.

    Developers will find the iOS 6.1 Beta 5 firmware in the developer portal of Apple’s Web site. Developers will be able to grab iOS 6.1 Beta 5 through OTA (over the air) updating on an iOS 6.1 beta device shortly.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Releases iOS 6.1 Beta 5 to Developers started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 81 Comments
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      I like the iMAME one he did better but this one is fullscreen on the iPhone 5.
      Pretty cool how it changes into mame once you put roms in.

      One not cool thing, no wii remote support, only incade.
      It also has iPad and iPad Mini support!
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      People need to realize that even if this does turn out to be a beta (as it's yet unsure if it's truly the gm, check Sauriks redit for more info) anyways, if it is a beta apple didn't release it to stall the jb. They don't really care about us. Think about it, there were 22 million iOS DEVICES running cydia in the past 2 months. In just the last quarter apple sold close to 50 million IPHONES. Not devices, which includes iPhones, iPod touchs, and iPads. Now think of how many iPhones, iPads, and iPod touchs have been made. They don't close the security holes to stop jailbreaking. They close them because those same security holes that give us root access to our devices, also can be used to infect the root files of our devices with malware/virus' etc.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
      People need to realize that even if this does turn out to be a beta (as it's yet unsure if it's truly the gm, check Sauriks redit for more info) anyways, if it is a beta apple didn't release it to stall the jb. They don't really care about us. Think about it, there were 22 million iOS DEVICES running cydia in the past 2 months. In just the last quarter apple sold close to 50 million IPHONES. Not devices, which includes iPhones, iPod touchs, and iPads. Now think of how many iPhones, iPads, and iPod touchs have been made. They don't close the security holes to stop jailbreaking. They close them because those same security holes that give us root access to our devices, also can be used to infect the root files of our devices with malware/virus' etc.
      +1 they close for security purposes not jail breaking purposes
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by tallytabletommy View Post
      should I update my iPhone 5 to 6.0.2 or stay on 6.0?
      You really should go to iOS 6.0.2.
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      It also has iPad and iPad Mini support!
      Yea, imame has iPad support.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      +1 they close for security purposes not jail breaking purposes
      You say that, like there's really a difference?
    1. Alexdakidd's Avatar
      Alexdakidd -
      Had enough of jb'ing anyway. My iphone 4s is worth enough to swap for a decent android phone. You do it to free your device but then you still find yourself paying for tweaks etc. like on android it is actually a free device (open) and customisation is actually free.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexdakidd View Post
      Had enough of jb'ing anyway. My iphone 4s is worth enough to swap for a decent android phone. You do it to free your device but then you still find yourself paying for tweaks etc. like on android it is actually a free device (open) and customisation is actually free.
      This is fallacious. You still need to root the device for it to be "open." Like iOS, Android is a closed operating system. Many developers will tell you this.

      It does more than iOS does stock, however it's far from open. Here is a good clarification.
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexdakidd View Post
      Had enough of jb'ing anyway. My iphone 4s is worth enough to swap for a decent android phone. You do it to free your device but then you still find yourself paying for tweaks etc. like on android it is actually a free device (open) and customisation is actually free.
      Are you seriously comparing iPhone jailbreak to android root??

      Have u ever looked at what tweaks, themes, apps... U can find on cydia!
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexdakidd View Post
      Had enough of jb'ing anyway. My iphone 4s is worth enough to swap for a decent android phone. You do it to free your device but then you still find yourself paying for tweaks etc. like on android it is actually a free device (open) and customisation is actually free.
      Lmao sorry not everyone wants to work for free just so you can enjoy your phone more.

      Also do some research. Jail breaking and rooting are the same thing. Both of them require hacking to give root access so your phone is fully open.

      The only difference between android and ios stock is what they allow you to have access to. Android allows you much more access but is still closed. Apple has way more restrictions.

      PS the good apps and tweaks on the play store cost money too.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      You say that, like there's really a difference?
      Agreed! And since Apple knows there is a vulnerability due to pod2g's & planetbeing's exploits, they would like to find it before their final, Public release of iOS 6.1.

      I truly believe they are looking for this security breach and that is why they waited so long to release Beta 5. Apple wants their OS to be secure and I'm almost positive they've been looking for the holes since a confirmed jailbreak has come to light. Obviously, though, they haven't found the exploits and had to release 'something' so the Dev accts wouldn't expire.

      I think pod2g, Planetbeing, MNerd, etc should just say their exploit was patched so Apple will release the public 6.1 and then 'our' Devs can release the JB!!!
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Agreed! And since Apple knows there is a vulnerability due to pod2g's & planetbeing's exploits, they would like to find it before their final, Public release of iOS 6.1.

      I truly believe they are looking for this security breach and that is why they waited so long to release Beta 5. Apple wants their OS to be secure and I'm almost positive they've been looking for the holes since a confirmed jailbreak has come to light. Obviously, though, they haven't found the exploits and had to release 'something' so the Dev accts wouldn't expire.

      I think pod2g, Planetbeing, MNerd, etc should just say their exploit was patched so Apple will release the public 6.1 and then 'our' Devs can release the JB!!!
      Maybe apple will just never update lol.

      Just can't understand this logic. Jailbreak has been around sense the first iPhone. They have never delayed anything because of a jailbreak. And because the hackers have more than one exploit (they said they always keep one for themselves) Wouldnt you think it's in apples best interest to update and let the exploit be burned then patch it with an update?

      Just don't know why people really think apple is stopping production of iOS because of a jailbreak lol
    1. Alexdakidd's Avatar
      Alexdakidd -
      Sorry having bad day. Been ios since beginning. Dont expect things to turn out exactly the way i want them. Im not ungrateful towards the devs for what they do. What i was trying to say is that im hearing alot of good things about android and even my mates stock s3 kicks *** out of my jailbroken 5.1.1 i4s for looks. Wasnt trying to be offensive.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexdakidd View Post
      Sorry having bad day. Been ios since beginning. Dont expect things to turn out exactly the way i want them. Im not ungrateful towards the devs for what they do. What i was trying to say is that im hearing alot of good things about android and even my mates stock s3 kicks *** out of my jailbroken 5.1.1 i4s for looks. Wasnt trying to be offensive.
      No one is offended. Just go get an android. You'll probably like it better. A lot of people really enjoy there iPhones stock and jail breaking is a plus.

      It's all about personal preference
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      * NOBODY IS ON 6.1 BECAUSE IT ISN'T RELEASED YET!
      Many people will be on 6.1 shortly after its released.
      It will be released soon. Within a few weeks, tops.
      Many more people will slowly trickle over to 6.1 in the days/weeks/months afterward.

      People who understand the issues and why "newer isn't always better" won't upgrade.
      Smart people, like you!
      But then again, we always see a slew of "ACCIDENTAL UPGRADE " users,
      who knew better but didn't really think it through.

      Dev Team and friends are not targeting the tiny sliver of very technically astute users.
      If they did, the jailbreak community would be < 1% of iDevices, instead of 5-10%.
      Instead their target would be the "smarter than average" user, who doesn't necessarily why he wants a jailbreak
      but thinks "freedom is a good idea".

      MOST OF US DON'T CARE ABOUT 6.1!
      Nobody cares about 6.1.
      Nobody. Not even Apple.
      However, some people like driving shiny new cars, while others are happy with old, reliable beaters.
      People upgrade because they want their shiny iPhone to be the latest and greatest iPhone it can be.

      If you think about this, and about how long it has been, (since Sept 2012), that those of us with IOS 6 have not had a jailbreak...
      then it makes sense to create the public jailbreak now.
      Exploits are getting harder and harder to come by.
      iOS is getting tighter, and JB devs are facing a likely possibility that sometime soon
      (iOS7? iPhone 6? iPad 5?) a jailbreak may not even happen. Ever.
      Because of the job getting tougher, and attrition/fatigue among the team.

      So they want every exploit they can find, to count.
      If they released this too soon, and then Apple patched 6.1.0 to break it
      then all the "accidentally upgraded to 6.1" people would be SOL.

      And they have to start over from scratch with iOS7, which gets dicey.
      (the chances of another new JB being released before iOS7 are almost nil)

      Right now, iPhone 5 and iPad mini users have never had a chance to jailbreak.
      iOS6 users have never had a chance for an untethered JB on any device.
      If dev-team fumbles this one, (releases before Apple drops 6.1) then we stand a good chance that
      Most iPhone 5 users, most iPad mini users and most iOS6 users will end up with a 3-5 day window to jailbreak
      and then LOSE it maybe forever.

      For someone who's not a "typical user" it's frustrating.
      I've been waiting as long as you
      But just because we're special doesn't make us special enough to spoil the party for all the ones who are not.
    1. babyydaveyy's Avatar
      babyydaveyy -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      Many people will be on 6.1 shortly after its released.
      It will be released soon. Within a few weeks, tops.
      Many more people will slowly trickle over to 6.1 in the days/weeks/months afterward.

      People who understand the issues and why "newer isn't always better" won't upgrade.
      Smart people, like you!
      But then again, we always see a slew of "ACCIDENTAL UPGRADE " users,
      who knew better but didn't really think it through.

      Dev Team and friends are not targeting the tiny sliver of very technically astute users.
      If they did, the jailbreak community would be < 1% of iDevices, instead of 5-10%.
      Instead their target would be the "smarter than average" user, who doesn't necessarily why he wants a jailbreak
      but thinks "freedom is a good idea".


      Nobody cares about 6.1.
      Nobody. Not even Apple.
      However, some people like driving shiny new cars, while others are happy with old, reliable beaters.
      People upgrade because they want their shiny iPhone to be the latest and greatest iPhone it can be.


      Exploits are getting harder and harder to come by.
      iOS is getting tighter, and JB devs are facing a likely possibility that sometime soon
      (iOS7? iPhone 6? iPad 5?) a jailbreak may not even happen. Ever.
      Because of the job getting tougher, and attrition/fatigue among the team.

      So they want every exploit they can find, to count.
      If they released this too soon, and then Apple patched 6.1.0 to break it
      then all the "accidentally upgraded to 6.1" people would be SOL.

      And they have to start over from scratch with iOS7, which gets dicey.
      (the chances of another new JB being released before iOS7 are almost nil)

      Right now, iPhone 5 and iPad mini users have never had a chance to jailbreak.
      iOS6 users have never had a chance for an untethered JB on any device.
      If dev-team fumbles this one, (releases before Apple drops 6.1) then we stand a good chance that
      Most iPhone 5 users, most iPad mini users and most iOS6 users will end up with a 3-5 day window to jailbreak
      and then LOSE it maybe forever.

      For someone who's not a "typical user" it's frustrating.
      I've been waiting as long as you
      But just because we're special doesn't make us special enough to spoil the party for all the ones who are not.
      Loved those last few paragraphs. I completely agree.
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      This tight grip apple has on its phone is exactly the reason they are no longer #1. Give consumers what they want and they won't leave. This is the reason Samsung is on fire. Duh.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      This tight "LOCK" grip apple has on its phone is exactly the reason they are no longer #1. Give consumers what they want and they won't leave. This is the reason Samsung is on fire. Duh.
      Probably has nothing to do with samsung a wide variety of phones ranging from inexpensive to top of the line.
    1. b1997469's Avatar
      b1997469 -
      Is there actually anything new in IOS6.1?
      I've just installed the beta 5 on my iPad 3 and nothing is different.
      Actually there is 1 difference, things are now SLOWER. Its a lot laggier now than IOS6.01
      The App Store used to take about 5 mins to get into my Purchased tab now it takes about 9 mins.

      The whole iPad feels lagged down. Could it be the fact I updated it instead of restored? Its pathetically slow now.
      I will be needing this jailbreak so I can speed things up a bit as this stock crap is pathetic/