• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Rejects Samsung's Request to See iOS 6 Source Code


    In the ongoing global legal battle between Apple and Samsung, the South Korean electronics giant has been rebuffed ny Apple in an attempt to see the source code for iOS 6. According to The Korea Times, Samsung is arguing that unless they have access to the source code, they won’t know if iOS 6 infringes on its technology patents. On the other hand Apple’s legal representatives apparently called the demand “insane” as an Apple lawyer said “it doesn’t make any sense. Samsung is saying that we should give up protecting our most important data.”

    Samsung’s side of the argument is that the company is most interested in looking at whether Apple infringed on its patents when iOS acquired Notification Center. For those of you who didn’t already know, Notification Center lets users check status of things like messages, schedules and weather information by swiping down from the top of the screen.

    According to the South Korean manufacturer, the company has originally patented that feature in November of 2006 and they put the feature into Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets before Apple did. The court has yet to decide whether to accept Samsung’s request to see the source code but we’ll find out soon enough.

    Source: Korea Times, TechCrunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Rejects Samsung's Request to See iOS 6 Source Code started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. Schnedi's Avatar
      Schnedi -
      Still don't understand why the most important smartphones designers are "fighting". Android copy from Apple and Apple copy from Android. in that way both companies/devices/OSs are better, they should stop with this nonsense and worry about develop new features...
    1. holyshnikes's Avatar
      holyshnikes -
      It's stupid for Samsung to think its going to get a look at Apples source code. To me, that's like saying "Hey, we aren't copying you at all. We never have and never will...but can we look at all your coding to see what other cool stuff you do? We won't take anything. We promise".
    1. hapishyguy's Avatar
      hapishyguy -
      The writer needs to correct its spellings in the first line from "ny" to "by".
    1. aidanharris's Avatar
      aidanharris -
      Get Samsung to reverse engineer iOS if they want it that badly. They get their source code and we potentially get a jailbreak in the process. It's win, win for everyone (except Apple of course)...
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
      It's stupid for Samsung to think its going to get a look at Apples source code. To me, that's like saying "Hey, we aren't copying you at all. We never have and never will...but can we look at all your coding to see what other cool stuff you do? We won't take anything. We promise".
      Got to agree with you, heck they have or have had all the schematics when they were supplying the components & chips for almost the entire iPhone range. How about they innovate instead of imitate. I for one am glad Apple are severing ties with Samsung...
    1. WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
      WithinTemptationFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
      The writer needs to correct its spellings in the first line from "ny" to "by".
      "Their" spelling, not it's spelling. =)
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
      "Their" spelling, not it's spelling. =)
      Lol
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Quote Originally Posted by schnedi View Post
      Still don't understand why the most important smartphones designers are "fighting". Android copy from Apple and Apple copy from Android. in that way both companies/devices/OSs are better, they should stop with this nonsense and worry about develop new features...
      Thank you. Someone understands how stupid these companies are.
    1. Colin9001's Avatar
      Colin9001 -
      The title made me lol.. Hard
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      Title should have read "apple rejects samsungs request to see iOS6 source code... AGAIN."
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
      It's stupid for Samsung to think its going to get a look at Apples source code. To me, that's like saying "Hey, we aren't copying you at all. We never have and never will...but can we look at all your coding to see what other cool stuff you do? We won't take anything. We promise".
      I doubt they want the whole code which is anybody would agree is unreasonable. HOWEVER, if they're claiming iOS infringes on their notifications and IF apple is NOT guilty they should have no problem with allowing Samsung to see it.

      Also I think your opinion would be entirely different if it was the other way around.
    1. 96aman96's Avatar
      96aman96 -
      Stupid google
    1. aidanharris's Avatar
      aidanharris -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      I doubt they want the whole code which is anybody would agree is unreasonable. HOWEVER, if they're claiming iOS infringes on their notifications and IF apple is NOT guilty they should have no problem with allowing Samsung to see it.

      Also I think your opinion would be entirely different if it was the other way around.
      No. What Samsung are asking Apple to do is release their intellectual property. If Apple were to do so and the source code were to become public then many companies (including Samsung) would likely profit from it. I think though since clearly Apple isn't infringing on any of Samsungs patents and Apples patent portfolio is greater than theirs they might as well agree to release it under the grounds that the source code does not get redistributed, cannot be used in any personal or commercial products of Samsungs and that if upon providing Samsung the source code the court sees that there is nothing wrong with it that Samsung be punished for causing such a scene...