• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Pod2g and Planetbeing Announce Progress On iOS 6 Untethered Jailbreak


    iOS 6 still lacks an untethered jailbreak solution on newer iOS devices, although users of older limera1n devices can experience a tethered jailbreak on iOS 6 thanks to a bootrom exploit and old bootrom iPhone 3GS models do have an untethered jailbreak on iOS 6.

    Earlier in January, iOS hacker planetbeing shared on Reddit that he had an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak running on his iOS 6.0.2 iPhone 5, however he wasn’t going to release it just yet because it contained a valuable exploit that he wanted to save and iOS 6.1 is just on the horizon and would likely break a small part of the jailbreak.

    The good news is that last night hacker planetbeing hinted on Twitter that progress has been made with iOS hacker pod2g towards the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6. Pod2g responded about 10 hours later sharing that they had found two new vulnerabilities in one day, which is excellent progress. The vulnerabilities are essential for the jailbreaking process. On the other hand, pod2g shares that the "initial code execution for a public jailbreak" is still missing.

    Pod2g and planetbeing were huge players in the release of the iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak, so we trust what they say. Pod2g once stated that he was very confident that we’d see an untethered jailbreak on iOS 6, newer devices included, within the coming months. However, with the progress that is being made, we can only guess that it will be slightly quicker than that.

    There is still a lot of work that has to be done. iOS 6.1 has not been publicly released yet, so the hackers will more than likely be waiting for that release to see how the jailbreak plays out. Afterwards, the hackers will need to test its stability and then produce jailbreak tools that jailbreakers can use to finally jailbreak their devices. This will all add to the time it will take to get the jailbreak into the public’s hands.

    Please continue to offer positive support for these hackers and remain patient!

    Sources: planetbeing and pod2g
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pod2g and Planetbeing Announce Progress On iOS 6 Untethered Jailbreak started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 100 Comments
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      I disagree, Apple will be scrupulously checking the 6.1 code to tighten up any areas/vulnerabilities especially with a JB on the horizon now.
      Maybe, maybe not.

      There is no guarantee in either direction, however software will always have vulnerabilities. This is an absolute.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      I disagree, Apple will be scrupulously checking the 6.1 code to tighten up any areas/vulnerabilities especially with a JB on the horizon now. Hence the reason why PB said he didnt see any reason to hold onto a JB for unsigned FW if 6.1 patched those exploits in 6.0.2 by Apple. Sure it goes against the tradition but could be a possibly with how tough it's becoming to JB these days...
      So you think that apple only "scrupulously" looks for holes to patch when there is a jailbreak on in the talks? Lol. Apple is ALWAYS doing this to prevent any holes.

      They already know jail breakers find them. As long as no specifics are released then apple has no clue what vulns are being used.

      But don't fool yourself apple wants a secure OS they know jail breakers are finding things and they are always working around the clock to close any holes.

      Also as Anthony stated, there will always be holes. It's the nature of software. The only way to be completely secure is never introduce new hardware and software features and keep patching holes found.

      But with new hardware and new features always comes more holes
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
      It would be nice if the jailbreak was released before I got my Pebble. I am concerned about Cydia apps that do not work on iOS6 and the Cydia apps iOS6.1 might break.
      Research this thru ModMyI and google.
      You will get your answers.
      There is a spreadsheet being updated with the info.
    1. Jj2345's Avatar
      Jj2345 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      That is the first time I've heard a comment like this since the iPhone 5 release.
      Don't worry I bet he will be one of the first guys to jailbreak
    1. Assassination's Avatar
      Assassination -
      You guys are gods man!
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
      It would be great to be jailbroken again but my iphone 5 is fine without it.
      Totally agree. Jailbreaking has lost nearly all of its appeal. All the new tweaks are garbage, remakes or garbage. Themes haven't been relevant since iOS 4. The only thing people use jailbreaking for nowadays is pirating apps/music/tethering services and converting to TMobile, which doesn't even provide decent service.
    1. Googly2moogly's Avatar
      Googly2moogly -
      I will be the first one to jailbreak I funking hate iphone 5 battery life, lack of native google maps app, and where and why did they get rid of native youtube app!
    1. punjabi212's Avatar
      punjabi212 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
      Don't worry I bet he will be one of the first guys to jailbreak
      You make it sound as if I said jailbreaking sucks. All i meant was if a jailbreak comes out, I'll jailbreak my 5 but if not I won't care.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      So you think that apple only "scrupulously" looks for holes to patch when there is a jailbreak on in the talks? Lol. Apple is ALWAYS doing this to prevent any holes.

      They already know jail breakers find them. As long as no specifics are released then apple has no clue what vulns are being used.

      But don't fool yourself apple wants a secure OS they know jail breakers are finding things and they are always working around the clock to close any holes.

      Also as Anthony stated, there will always be holes. It's the nature of software. The only way to be completely secure is never introduce new hardware and software features and keep patching holes found.

      But with new hardware and new features always comes more holes
      No I don't actually, but with talk of a JB and 6.1 not being in GM status yet you can definitely bet Apple will be reviewing the code in greater detail than the previous 6.1 betas to reduce possible any exploitable areas in those earlier versions.

      Of course Apple are, that's common knowledge that they want a secure iOS with minimal exploits as possible to prevent Jailbreaking.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      Totally agree. Jailbreaking has lost nearly all of its appeal. All the new tweaks are garbage, remakes or garbage. Themes haven't been relevant since iOS 4. The only thing people use jailbreaking for nowadays is pirating apps/music/tethering services and converting to TMobile, which doesn't even provide decent service.
      Yikes.
    1. Dgow452's Avatar
      Dgow452 -
      Keep up the great work, thanks
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      No I don't actually, but with talk of a JB and 6.1 not being in GM status yet you can definitely bet Apple will be reviewing the code in greater detail than the previous 6.1 betas to reduce possible any exploitable areas in those earlier versions.

      Of course Apple are, that's common knowledge that they want a secure iOS with minimal exploits as possible to prevent Jailbreaking.
      Well sense the iPhone 5 came out someone has found and talked about having founds holes. Yet those holes have not been patched because they were still able to use on 6.0.2.

      Someone saying they have made progress does not frighten apple and really most likely are not using there own resources to find them. Why because as soon as the jailbreak is released they know what exactly to patch.

      Also with out knowing how someone would use a vulnerability makes it even harder to prevent.

      Guess what in saying is this news does not effect jailbreakings future. Atleast in my opinion.
    1. Eonhpi's Avatar
      Eonhpi -
      Somethings better then nothing good job
    1. StanSmith's Avatar
      StanSmith -
      About time.
      So what will be jailbroken? IOS601 or IOS61?
      And will the ATV3 finally be jailbroken this time?
    1. Tucnepo's Avatar
      Tucnepo -
      I wouldn't put too much faith in jailbreak now since all the cydia apps won't be updated to support iOS 6 weeks if not months following a jailbreak release added now iphone 5 has a 4 in screen.Even though I miss quick reply and sbsettings.
    1. MXCO's Avatar
      MXCO -
      When is iOS 6.1 gonna be released? That's what I'm more excited for.
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
      When is iOS 6.1 gonna be released? That's what I'm more excited for.
      The GM or 5th Beta build hasn't been released as of yet ( Monday is the speculated day possibly ) ...your guess is as good as anyone's. Surely within the month would seem fair wouldn't it? The GM version is purely just fine tuning before the public release.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
      When is iOS 6.1 gonna be released? That's what I'm more excited for.
      What are you excited about? The slightly different-shaped music-player buttons, or the much tighter anti-jailbreak measures?

      Because there's nothing else in 6.1.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      What are you excited about? The slightly different-shaped music-player buttons, or the much tighter anti-jailbreak measures?

      Because there's nothing else in 6.1.
      Well there is the ability to purchase movie tickets through Siri with Fandango.

      That's about it though.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      Totally agree. Jailbreaking has lost nearly all of its appeal. All the new tweaks are garbage, remakes or garbage. Themes haven't been relevant since iOS 4. The only thing people use jailbreaking for nowadays is pirating apps/music/tethering services and converting to TMobile, which doesn't even provide decent service.
      Except that:

      1) This jailbreak won't unlock your phone (there hasn't been a baseband unlock for years).
      2) These days you can easily unlock, pirate apps, music & tethering services (if you really believe the latter constitutes piracy) without a jailbreak.
      3) There is no official Apple App Store equivalent to biteSMS, SBSettings, Activator, Zephyr, VoiceActivator, f.lux, Dimmer, iBlacklist, AppLocker, IntelliScreenX, App Switcher Brightness, Navigate From Maps, Double At, iFile, iGotYa, NetMeter, NowNow, OpenSSH, Phone GV Extension, SMS GV Extension, Remove Backgound, Safari Upload Enabler, to name a few.

      So I understand your sentiments, but unfortunately you do still have to jailbreak to get the basic functionality that you'd get out-of-the-box with Android.