• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • K-Mart's Knock-Off iPad Illegally Runs Android?



    Looking for a new Android tablet to replace that old-fashioned iPad you have laying around? Look no further than K-Mart. The Augen GenTouch78 Android tablet, as profiled by Fortune magazine, may be "as bare bones as it gets," but it does serve up some key, familiar features: Android 2.1 800x480 Display, WiFi 802.11G, 2GB of storage +SD card slot, 256MB of RAM, HDMI out for 720P viewing on an external display, Android Market access, eBook reader, etc.

    In theory, this sounds pretty exciting. In reality, however, K-Mart is pushing what multiple media outlets are panning as an iPad knock-off running a bootleg copy of Android. And guess what? Google agrees, saying that the out-of-nowhere $150 Android tablet is "using software it shouldn't have from an unauthorized vendor and has bypassed the usual legal channels." Augen's CEO, Gary Gofman, was subsequently forced to admit that Android Market on his company's GenTouch78 was “unintentional.”

    Put differently, K-Mart is selling what some are calling an "illegal device." It should be noted, however, that only days after its release, the GenTouch78 is difficult to come by at K-Mart stores, as demand has proven surprisingly substantial. Of course, if you can't find one now, there's an even better chance you won't be able to find one in the future as many expect the iPad knock-off to get pulled from shelves as a result of the questionable legality surrounding the device's Android attributes.

    Fortune Magazine
    GottaBeMobile
    This article was originally published in forum thread: K-Mart's Knock-Off iPad Illegally Runs Android? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 81 Comments
    1. gotanmp3's Avatar
      gotanmp3 -
      I know this is an Apple fan site but still, why all the hate? The iPad isn't subsidized like the iPhone and not everyone wants to drop at least half a grand on a big iPod Touch. Depending on how hackable this thing turns out to be, it may be possible to install flash on it.

      I'm happy to see a little competition brewing in the tablet field. Don't get me wrong, I love the innovation iOS has brought to the market, but lately it seems Apple has begun to rest on their laurels. Name one other phone that has been exclusive to a single carrier for as long as the iPhone. And don't get me started on how they left the camera out of the iPad just so they can make everyone buy them all over again to get one in the next version...
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      Once acer viewsonic Sony toshiba hitachi tablets hit the market, tablets will get interesting and competition is good.
    1. JimJam707's Avatar
      JimJam707 -
      Android is free. The tablet wasn't running it illegally. What it was doing was using google apps (Market, gMail) without a license. The apps are closed source.
    1. mmurphmsu's Avatar
      mmurphmsu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      Every tablet is now an iPad knock off. Because Apple was the first company to make a tablet. Ever.
      Well you are sorely incorrect. Motion computing has made tablet PC's for a lot longer than Apple has. I suggest getting your facts straight before embarrassing yourself.
    1. Nest's Avatar
      Nest -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
      Well you are sorely incorrect. Motion computing has made tablet PC's for a lot longer than Apple has. I suggest getting your facts straight before embarrassing yourself.

      i dont know how to say this without hurting your feelings but... HE WAS BEING SARCASTIC! if you have no idea what that means then... HE WASNT SERIOUS! its hilarious looking at these comments and seeing people bash on him because of what he said. so now I suggest you get your facts straight before embarrassing yourself. i love you. bye.
    1. SwatPac's Avatar
      SwatPac -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
      Well you are sorely incorrect. Motion computing has made tablet PC's for a lot longer than Apple has. I suggest getting your facts straight before embarrassing yourself.
      !!!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

      !!!!!!!!FAILLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

      I Have never witnessed somebody fail so terribly at being mean (For lack of a better word)
    1. xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
      xxhorseriderxxx -
      Quote Originally Posted by ihaterich View Post
      I thought Android was open source?
      it is, but this thing sucks so bad it's a crime to release it to the open market; this thing has hardware and software glitches that make iPhoneOS 2.0 look fresh and bug free.
    1. boe_dye's Avatar
      boe_dye -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      Every tablet is now an iPad knock off. Because Apple was the first company to make a tablet. Ever.
      ...No they weren't... They were the first to introduce the "slate" concept. The tablet has been around for a little under 10 years and it was introduced by Microsoft... It was just that they were expensive, not all that great, and only a few people had a use for them...
    1. imnew2hu's Avatar
      imnew2hu -
      Hmmm I wouldnt mind having 1 just to play with the android opp on a larger screen. 150 bucks is a cheap enough price. Hell i may buy 2 and sell 1 on ebay.
    1. snaketooth's Avatar
      snaketooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      Every tablet is now an iPad knock off. Because Apple was the first company to make a tablet. Ever.
      you are wrong because different company had tablet before apple
    1. sLevin1fo's Avatar
      sLevin1fo -
      This is a technology website. Some people need to stay on subject. Im not trying to disrespect everyone but you have to know that there are things you say and dont say. Think about what your going to type before you type it. I know craigslist has a forum for people that want to express their thoughts. Visit the site and type your fingers away.

      On subject now: Android is a good OS. Its one of the only OS out there that is actually making some standards and moving forward with developments. I used to work at a RadioShack and PalmOS was the s**t! But they never moved forward. Every new device had new buttons and got smaller. The OS was still, now to date, practical. My friend has a Evo and its pretty pimped out. I will never own one but I acknowledge the tech and specs of the Evo. If this tablet was made by HTC. Everyone knows that they would respect it a bit more. Kudos to the new comers. Good Luck to you. But its the iMeiYou Generation.
    1. SnowLeo's Avatar
      SnowLeo -
      ^But HP is making a PalmPad and thats gonna be pretty awesome. Id get one of those before an android "pad". In all reality the web OS software is superior to the android and in some ways superior to the iphone (WAY BETTER MULTITASKING[nonjailbroken w/ backgrounder and proswitcher]). The only reason that the pre and pixi did so poorly was because there wasnt enough advertising and the hardware was behind its age (well it was the same as iphone but behind droid). But with HP in charge they have all the money and resources to make a WebOS tablet with hardware specs that include the stuff apple could-have-but-choose-not-to-include-because-of-their-retarded-market-schemes like a CAMERA... OR 2, 512mb of ram, better screen, gyroscope, ect. Also (mainly because its C++ and not Java) if you take a look at a WebOS app vs. a android app its quite obvious that the WebOS version is way higher quality and easily comparable to the iphone app. Obviously theres way less apps because theres much less demand and market but the palm version of an app is nearly identical to the iphone version. Its really a shame Palm is in such a position. But if HP rolls out the PalmPad at any time before iPad 2 and puts the right hardware then it will be just what is needed to attract more attention to the superior software between android and WebOS.

      Of course with these Android tablets it really depends who the manufacturer is how well they advertise and market the product and how the hardware stands against the ipad (preferrably better). If that motorola android tablet with Verizon FiOS TV capabilities with those crazy-strange-but-awesome droid commercials it might just be successful. This K-Mart bullcrap knockoff is gonna be worse than the chinese knockoffs.

      Of course with the android tablets the software capabilities will also play a major roll. Will current android apps work on the android pad? wil they scale? will there be a signifigent amount of developers out there making tablet specific apps. In reality the thing that makes the ipad so appealing is the amazing ipad specific apps and games that are simply stunning. For gods sakes I can stream tv with slingbox, watch HD movies, and play games like Real Racing or Need for Speed Shift or Call of Duty Zombies or Modern Combat Sandstorm that look like freakin Playstation 2 console games at full res on my ipad. Also the iWork iPad apps are awesome. Maybe if google could negiotiate with Microsoft (gasp) and get OFFICE for the motorola android pad. Maybe even Onlive Cloud gaming to play xbox 360 games... Working flash would be nice too.

      I installed the frash .0.2 deb on my ipad and it only works for some flash videos no flash games and no hulu (without subscription to appstore app). It also crashed the browser when I tried loading some videos (it crashes often normally too so I dont know)

      Edit: reinstalled frash from the http://repo.benm.at/ source because it will have updates and has AN SBSETTINGS toggle to turn it on and off when I want to use flash. awesomeness
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by owais123 View Post
      KMart is still running fine. Walmart is an evil company and target is overpriced. Get your facts straight
      Haha, a kmart fanboy!! They have a fanboy for everything nowadays!!

      As for me "getting my facts right"....I think it's pretty safe to say target and walmart have completley overtaken kmart.. When I was a kid it was kmart everywhere, now there is a walmart and target in almost every shopping center. I see no kmarts. Maybe it's just where I live.... Calm down kmart fanboy
    1. weazle23's Avatar
      weazle23 -
      I could be wrong but i thought kmart bought sears and thats why they can sell craftsman tools. I know walmart is definately bigger than kmart but theres two kmarts within a 60 mile radius of me and no targets.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Sears bought K-Mart.

      Ooops, sorry K-Mart did buy Sears for 11 Billion.
    1. weazle23's Avatar
      weazle23 -
      Ah ok i knew it was one way or the other. I still might have to go to kmart and check this out.
    1. Halten77's Avatar
      Halten77 -
      Lmao. It's funny how some people don't know what a "K-Mart" is. Down in Florida it's a store like walmart, except smaller in my perspective and they sell really cheap products... And I'm not just talking about the price tag...
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Here in the northern midwest Target rules the land. There are a lot of Wal-Marts but Target is still the bigger here. There are a few K-marts left here.
    1. Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
      Joseph_Prophet -
      Quote Originally Posted by Success.Is.Sweet View Post
      Every tablet is now an iPad knock off. Because Apple was the first company to make a tablet. Ever.
      not true, hp was, a LONG time ago. In fact its debatable whether or not apple's iPad is a tablet. to me its a an iPod Touch and eReader combined into one.
    1. Halten77's Avatar
      Halten77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Here in the northern midwest Target rules the land. There are a lot of Wal-Marts but Target is still the bigger here. There are a few K-marts left here.
      Down here in Florida, Walmarts rule the land, you rarely see a target. I've only seen 2 Targets in my whole neighborhood, and 4 walmarts.

      It's like BJs Vs Costco... Costco rules Florida...