• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak


    A lot of people are waiting for the same thing: A jailbreak for iOS 6, whether it be on their iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, even the newer iPod touch or iPad. Famous iOS hacker Planetbeing explains on Reddit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that we shouldn't give up hope:

    Originally Posted by Planetbeing:
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it's not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there's no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won't break.

    Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there's gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.

    This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I'm afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreak community more.
    According to the hacker, he currently has an iOS 6.0.2 untethered jailbreak on his iPhone 5, however he is not releasing it just yet because it contains a valuable exploit that he doesn’t want to burn and because iOS 6.1 is just on the horizon and it could break the jailbreak. It would make more sense for the hackers to try and extend their work to the latest operating system anyhow, since many users are probably going to update the day it comes out.

    Planetbeing also states that the rants from many about jailbreaking being a thing of the past are greatly exaggerated. It has become harder for the hackers to produce jailbreaks under this higher amount of security that comes with each software update, but it's still very much alive!

    The best thing we can do as a community is offer positive support to the hackers, be thankful for their work, and to just be patient. Planetbeing is the real deal and he has been behind jailbreaks in the past, so we trust his judgment.

    A4 device users that run iOS 6 can jailbreak their devices right now in the tethered state. Old bootrom iPhone 3GS users can jailbreak untethered on iOS 6. If you fall under this category, check out our guide for jailbreaking A4 devices running iOS 6 here.

    Sources: Reddit via Andrew Richardson
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 236 Comments
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Oh, I guess someone should tell apple that they made a mistake then!

      iOS 6.0.2 Software Update

      Apple releases iOS 6.0.2 to fix Wi-Fi issue | Apple - CNET News
    1. anig's Avatar
      anig -
      Thanks
    1. iPhonePutz's Avatar
      iPhonePutz -
      Quote Originally Posted by dimpoblimpo View Post
      its not even the theme'ing, its having full control of your device that you dropped $600 on. Changing cpu speeds to save battery, creating shortcuts for simple toggles, the list goes on. When I say useless i mean when compared to other phones. Every phone can make calls and stuff give me a break.. Not to mention the battery is horrible on the i5. I can flash kernals on android just to get the sleep speeds the way I want, flash radios to improve signal in an area i dont get the greatest reception (my school) the list just continues not to mention having 4 columns is horrible. Theme'ing is the smallest part of jailbreaking/rooting for me. Its not even a complaint its a forum to voice my opinion on where the jailbreak is at. I know most people dont care but you do enough to reply.
      You're definitely in the minority with the changes you are making. I really don't care - I'm just tired or the whining. I come to this site for news and updates on the latest JB efforts and end up reading complaints about the iPhone being boring or useless. It does nothing to help the situation and is getting old. If you can't live without it, buy an Android.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      6.0.2 is only for iph5 and iPad mini!
      This brings up a very good point! 6.0.2 is only for certain devices so the Devs wouldn't even release a jailbreak for 6.0.2 or 6.0.1 if 6.1 will capture all the devices.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      I wonder why the GSM iP5 ipsw is only about 40Kb bigger than 6.01 but the 'world' version and the iPad ones vary between 40 and 70Mb bigger?
    1. anig's Avatar
      anig -
      So what's next 6.1 then hopefully a public release of a untethered jailbreak Yea it's been a long wait. Ever been this long??
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Longest yet bro!
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Last year took 3 months I think for the 4S.
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Last year took 3 months I think for the 4S.
      Yep almost right at 3 months
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by anig View Post
      So what's next 6.1 then hopefully a public release of a untethered jailbreak Yea it's been a long wait. Ever been this long??
      Nope. We waited 3 months last time. The A5 untether was released on 1/20/12. But a true jailbreak was shown on a devs phone 4 weeks prior to that. No Dev has shown proof of the untether for A6 yet.. certainly not Planetbeing. Without a proof video I don't believe it exists yet. All due respect to Planet being. In the past we've always had proof videos. So we're still quite a ways away.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Nope. We waited 3 months last time. The A5 untether was released on 1/20/12. But a true jailbreak was shown on a devs phone 4 weeks prior to that. No Dev has shown proof of the untether for A6 yet.. certainly not Planetbeing. Without a proof video I don't believe it exists yet. All due respect to Planet being. In the past we've always had proof videos. So we're still quite a ways away.
      I don't doubt planetbeing has a jailbreak for one second. Anyone who does doesn't know who he is. And he doesnt need to show proof of it, his reputation speaks for itself. He doesn't have one for the public though. The devs have their own method to jailbreak with an exploit(s) that they keep to themselves in order to gain root access to better find exploits that they can use for a public jailbreak. His post on reddit explained this. So you are right in that it may be a ways off. Even if 6.1 dropped today there wouldn't be a jailbreak released yet. Some people missed that part of his post. The way I see it is the devs still have to find another exploit(s) to be able to release a jailbreak, because they can't give up the one they keep to jailbreak.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      I don't doubt planetbeing has a jailbreak for one second. Anyone who does doesn't know who he is. And he doesnt need to show proof of it, his reputation speaks for itself. He doesn't have one for the public though. The devs have their own method to jailbreak with an exploit(s) that they keep to themselves in order to gain root access to better find exploits that they can use for a public jailbreak. His post on reddit explained this. So you are right in that it may be a ways off. Even if 6.1 dropped today there wouldn't be a jailbreak released yet. Some people missed that part of his post. The way I see it is the devs still have to find another exploit(s) to be able to release a jailbreak, because they can't give up the one they keep to jailbreak.
      Besides he actually posted a picture of intelliscreenx running on an iPhone 5. Sure easily faked but there is no reason for him to take it lol
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      I don't doubt planetbeing has a jailbreak for one second. Anyone who does doesn't know who he is. And he doesnt need to show proof of it, his reputation speaks for itself. He doesn't have one for the public though. The devs have their own method to jailbreak with an exploit(s) that they keep to themselves in order to gain root access to better find exploits that they can use for a public jailbreak. His post on reddit explained this. So you are right in that it may be a ways off. Even if 6.1 dropped today there wouldn't be a jailbreak released yet. Some people missed that part of his post. The way I see it is the devs still have to find another exploit(s) to be able to release a jailbreak, because they can't give up the one they keep to jailbreak.
      This last point you make, Simon, is interesting. I've been around jail breaking for a long time but this is the first time I've heard it explained that the Devs can't give away their 'only' exploit or they wouldn't be able to get in for research in the future. That's amazing. I hadn't thought of that. That makes understanding the process of the wait times more clear. Thanks!

      But I HAVE been around long enough to know that for every single jailbreak since 3GS the devs have posted proof as a video of Cydia running on an untethered phone. Even Planetbeing did it for his last one. Our devs are far too in love with the 'rock star complex' they hold to not 'show it off' when they find one. But thanks for the education!
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      This last point you make, Simon, is interesting. I've been around jail breaking for a long time but this is the first time I've heard it explained that the Devs can't give away their 'only' exploit or they wouldn't be able to get in for research in the future. That's amazing. I hadn't thought of that. That makes understanding the process of the wait times more clear. Thanks!

      But I HAVE been around long enough to know that for every single jailbreak since 3GS the devs have posted proof as a video of Cydia running on an untethered phone. Even Planetbeing did it for his last one. Our devs are far too in love with the 'rock star complex' they hold to not 'show it off' when they find one. But thanks for the education!
      See highlighted part. Planetbeing himself plainly said it in his post.

      Quote Originally Posted by Planetbeing View Post
      Yeah, I'm not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it's not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there's no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won't break.


      Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there's gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.


      This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I'm afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreak community more.
      I have personally known that they do this since last year when we were waiting for the 4S jailbreak.

      As for not releasing a video, there is no need for one. When he or any of the devs have a working jailbreak that will be released to the public then you will most likely see a video. There is no point in him making a video of the method they currently use to jailbreak their own devices in order to search for publicly releasable exploits for jailbreaks.

      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Our devs are far too in love with the 'rock star complex' they hold to not 'show it off' when they find one.
      While this may be said about some of the devs (I personally wouldn't say it, nor do I agree) Planetbeing does not fall into this category in any way, shape or form. I don't know him personally, but I know people who do and have talked to him as well as seen the way he carries himself on twitter and other places and he is not that way at all. From what I have seen he is a very humble guy who would rather not be in the spotlight. He does it for the fun of it, not for fame, money or anything else like that.

      https://twitter.com/planetbeing/stat...40414193528832

      This should shed some light on what will happen if they can't find any other bugs. So basically what PN is saying with this and his reddit post is they have a way to untether jailbreak now, but can't release it because it would burn there best way of finding other bugs that they can release. But as he says in this tweet if worse comes to worse and they cannot find anymore bugs, there is still this one way that can be released if needed(worst case scenario). The whole point of PN's reddit post was to assure people that jailbreaking is not dead yet. The devs can still jailbreak which is our best chance of them finding a way to release a jailbreak for all of us.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      READ THIS: Nearly one million iOS devices jailbroken over holiday weekend - Yahoo! News

      Absinthe 2.0, the untethered jailbreak solution for iOS 5.1.1, has already been downloaded almost one million times. According to the Chronic Dev Team, 973,086 devices had been jailbroken as of Sunday evening, 211,401 of which were Apple’s newest iPad. The program, which was released to the public on Friday and runs on a computer connected to an iOS device, is compatible with A4 devices like the iPhone 4 and iPad as well as A5 and A5X-powered devices such as the iPhone 4S and the new iPad. It is not compatible, however, with iPad 2 models powered by Apple’s newer 32-nanometer chipset, though this updated iPad 2 only became quietly available a few months ago.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      That's very old news (and they were double counting).
    1. anig's Avatar
      anig -
      Maybe off topic a bit but here goes I updated to 6.0.1 4s and my battery life has been cut in half somehow. No changes other then software update
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Clean install? Did you restore from a backup made in a previous iOS? We're you JB?
    1. anig's Avatar
      anig -
      No JB BUT yea for some reason it restore from a backup in oct I was in 5.1
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      I never do a restore from back up and I never have these issues. Always setup as new, the extra time is well worth it.