• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak


    A lot of people are waiting for the same thing: A jailbreak for iOS 6, whether it be on their iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, even the newer iPod touch or iPad. Famous iOS hacker Planetbeing explains on Reddit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that we shouldn't give up hope:

    Quote Originally Posted by Planetbeing
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it's not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there's no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won't break.

    Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there's gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.

    This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I'm afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreak community more.
    According to the hacker, he currently has an iOS 6.0.2 untethered jailbreak on his iPhone 5, however he is not releasing it just yet because it contains a valuable exploit that he doesn’t want to burn and because iOS 6.1 is just on the horizon and it could break the jailbreak. It would make more sense for the hackers to try and extend their work to the latest operating system anyhow, since many users are probably going to update the day it comes out.

    Planetbeing also states that the rants from many about jailbreaking being a thing of the past are greatly exaggerated. It has become harder for the hackers to produce jailbreaks under this higher amount of security that comes with each software update, but it's still very much alive!

    The best thing we can do as a community is offer positive support to the hackers, be thankful for their work, and to just be patient. Planetbeing is the real deal and he has been behind jailbreaks in the past, so we trust his judgment.

    A4 device users that run iOS 6 can jailbreak their devices right now in the tethered state. Old bootrom iPhone 3GS users can jailbreak untethered on iOS 6. If you fall under this category, check out our guide for jailbreaking A4 devices running iOS 6 here.

    Sources: Reddit via Andrew Richardson
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hacker Planetbeing Comments On the State of the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Jailbreak started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 236 Comments
    1. fanboyfanboy's Avatar
      fanboyfanboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      I don't think he missed your point. I think he's trying too hard to be a parody account.
      Oh I did not even notice his account name... I just took a look. Wow he's very clever..
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
      The issues with OTA are usually if you do a re-restore to say 5.1.1, it has prohibited many people from doing it on here and as stated by redsn0w.
      iPhone 5 to my knowledge can't be restored to a non apple signed FW
    1. ProTeamOtto's Avatar
      ProTeamOtto -
      I have a question.. Can't they modify and make a custom IPSW with their own security holes so they can inject the code? Why does it have to be the original & clean firmware?
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by ProTeamOtto View Post
      I have a question.. Can't they modify and make a custom IPSW with their own security holes so they can inject the code? Why does it have to be the original & clean firmware?
      There would be no way to install custom firmware on a iPhone 4S or 5 to begin with.
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Quote Originally Posted by ProTeamOtto View Post
      I have a question.. Can't they modify and make a custom IPSW with their own security holes so they can inject the code? Why does it have to be the original & clean firmware?
      Haha there no way u can put bugs in apples operating system... Although i wish it was that easy :/
      Best thing u can wish for the devs to find a botroom exploit that would make the jailbreak last for years ( just like with 3gs --> theres always an untethered JB for 3gs :/ )
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      ( just like with 3gs --> theres always an untethered JB for 3gs :/ )
      Only old BR 3GS, not new BR.
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      iPhone 5 to my knowledge can't be restored to a non apple signed FW
      Not yet, but why take the chance of potentially screwing yourself for the future. It's just throwing another unknown variable into the mix.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      Haha there no way u can put bugs in apples operating system... Although i wish it was that easy :/
      Best thing u can wish for the devs to find a botroom exploit that would make the jailbreak last for years ( just like with 3gs --> theres always an untethered JB for 3gs :/ )
      You forgot about the iPhone 4, too
    1. Paulw2008's Avatar
      Paulw2008 -
      So does this means its save to update to 6.0.2?
    1. Faresismail's Avatar
      Faresismail -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      You forgot about the iPhone 4, too
      No the iphone 4 doesnt have a botroom exploit... However u can jailbreak it but its only tethered... A botroom exploit means that u can jb the phone through the hardware and not the software so no matter what apple does to the software there will always be a jailbreak for them and this is the best kind of JB coz it last for a long time ( as long as u have the phone with u )

      Quote Originally Posted by Paulw2008 View Post
      So does this means its save to update to 6.0.2?

      According to planetbeing yea coz the jailbreak will be released on 6.1
    1. PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
      PSYC0TIC ONE -
      Quote Originally Posted by Checksum47 View Post
      I guess I live in an anomaly. Nearly ALL of my friends own a Jailbroken iphone and Nearly ALL of them own a "hacked" or Jailbroken Xbox. I really believe that the 5% number is something put out by companies like Apple and Microsoft to make it appear like no one is really JB'ing their devices...
      lol, just because YOUR friends all jailbreak their devices doesn't mean EVERYONE does... thats like me saying EVERYONE in the world must live in Virginia because all my neighbors do


      Quote Originally Posted by mwhite67 View Post
      My xbox is still online. Has been for years.
      wow, I've always read it was impossible or only a matter of time before the big MS would catch it... UNLESS you do something like this.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      No the iphone 4 doesnt have a botroom exploit
      Yes, it does. limera1n - The iPhone Wiki
      bootrom exploit doesn't automatically mean always untethered though. It does mean it can always be jailbroken (in the case of the limera1n exploit it being tethered).
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
      No the iphone 4 doesnt have a botroom exploit... However u can jailbreak it but its only tethered...
      Yes the iPhone 4 does have a bootrom exploit. It's available in all A4 devices and it's called limera1n. The bootrom exploit is the whole reason we have the tethered jailbreak.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      It's never too late to learn something new!!! LOL!
    1. bbrks's Avatar
      bbrks -
      ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, now that was funny hahahahahahahaha
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by Checksum47 View Post
      I guess I live in an anomaly. Nearly ALL of my friends own a Jailbroken iphone and Nearly ALL of them own a "hacked" or Jailbroken Xbox. I really believe that the 5% number is something put out by companies like Apple and Microsoft to make it appear like no one is really JB'ing their devices...
      Not sure of the actual figures now as new devices have been released that can't be JB but in the past it was a fairly steady 6-12% 12% was what it went up to until a newdevice was released when it dropped as low as 6% until the new JB was released when it went back up to 12%

      With the release of A5 devices it has probably gone down so 5% probably isn't to wide of the mark.

      If a new JB is released for all devices then I would expect to see it head back up to the 12% mark.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Not sure of the actual figures now as new devices have been released that can't be JB but in the past it was a fairly steady 6-12% 12% was what it went up to until a newdevice was released when it dropped as low as 6% until the new JB was released when it went back up to 12%

      With the release of A5 devices it has probably gone down so 5% probably isn't to wide of the mark.

      If a new JB is released for all devices then I would expect to see it head back up to the 12% mark.
      I believe jay freeman said himself around 1 percent of iDevices are jailbroken.

      It's just funny when people throw out numbers no one really knows
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      Not sure of the actual figures now as new devices have been released that can't be JB but in the past it was a fairly steady 6-12% 12% was what it went up to until a newdevice was released when it dropped as low as 6% until the new JB was released when it went back up to 12%

      With the release of A5 devices it has probably gone down so 5% probably isn't to wide of the mark.

      If a new JB is released for all devices then I would expect to see it head back up to the 12% mark.
      The reduced ability to Pirate may affect that 12%. Not that I want those kind of users in the community anyway.
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      The reduced ability to Pirate may affect that 12%. Not that I want those kind of users in the community anyway.
      I hope that pirates account for a very small percentage of jailbreakers.most people are not that stupid.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      I believe jay freeman said himself around 1 percent of iDevices are jailbroken.

      It's just funny when people throw out numbers no one really knows
      Here’s What Jay Freeman (Saurik) Said At MyGreatFest