• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Rumor: Apple to Acquire Waze for iOS Maps Improvement


    On multiple occasions before the close of 2012, Apple CEO Tim Cook pledged dramatic improvements to the iOS Maps dud that came as a serious black-eye to the luster of iOS 6.

    To that end, Apple may be preparing to acquire additional tools and talent to give its mapping service the overhaul that iOS users have demanded. If what the rumor mill is churning out today proves to be correct, Apple may be on the verge of acquiring social sat-nav smartphone app Waze.

    Waze, after all, is already popular with the folks at Apple. When it became apparent that the initial iOS attempt at maps was a bomb, Waze was among the mapping applications recommended by Apple for use until subsequent improvements could be made to the iOS service.

    As Apple seeks to make its proprietary solution better than Google's still-superior mapping app, the acquisition of Waze could significantly assist Apple in its efforts. For now, neither Waze or Apple will comment on the rumors. But sources say a deal - while not yet reached - is definitely being discussed.

    Source: Tech Crunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Rumor: Apple to Acquire Waze for iOS Maps Improvement started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 12 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Save your cash Apple, Google Maps App is out.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Dang. Waze is (was) really good. Apple, please don't trash Waze!
    1. ads1230's Avatar
      ads1230 -
      Havent tried on my iphone but the online version doesnt have any street names for london o.O
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Save your cash Apple, Google Maps App is out.
      yes so DONT improve your phone.

      you guys need to realize apple + google maps was going no where google wouldn't let them add any new functions from ios 1 - 5 like turn by turn even though its obvious they had the software for those features (the new google maps app and android google maps). apple was forced to ditch them for better maps, google was ripping off apple and the consumers. Apple was forced to ditch them if they wanted improvements. Sure apples maps was a beta but it had to be done.

      Unfortunately apple acquired great maps like tom tom and other international maps software and had to put them into one mobile app and made some mistakes.

      There are other apps to use while this is not working for you. It has worked perfect for me but if you have troubles use another product BUT do not count out apples maps. It will get better i assure you.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      yes so DONT improve your phone.

      you guys need to realize apple + google maps was going no where google wouldn't let them add any new functions from ios 1 - 5 like turn by turn even though its obvious they had the software for those features (the new google maps app and android google maps). apple was forced to ditch them for better maps, google was ripping off apple and the consumers. Apple was forced to ditch them if they wanted improvements. Sure apples maps was a beta but it had to be done.

      Unfortunately apple acquired great maps like tom tom and other international maps software and had to put them into one mobile app and made some mistakes.

      There are other apps to use while this is not working for you. It has worked perfect for me but if you have troubles use another product BUT do not count out apples maps. It will get better i assure you.
      I have constantly saying the exact same thing. People bash Apple, but never mention how Google refused to update their app. Apple's map app works great for me.
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      Apple maps does work great for me as well, but I hate the fact they don't put green where traffic is good. Always makes me think it's not working or not enabled when I don't see green/very little red. So I do use Google maps for traffic analysis.

      I love the way the Apple maps app works with the screen locked and I also love that it only beeps in your ear when your using it for navigation rather than inturupting my call to give me directions. Also, the tie in with the Apple contacts is a must and Google failed there.
    1. StanSmith's Avatar
      StanSmith -
      So Apple arn't happy enough with the damage it did to Maps that it also wants to spread that damage to another working app. Waze was a good working app but I guess its days are numbered now.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
      So Apple arn't happy enough with the damage it did to Maps that it also wants to spread that damage to another working app. Waze was a good working app but I guess its days are numbered now.
      Flawless logic!!
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Last weekend I went the wrong way on Las Tunas Dr, out of curiosity I ran the iMap and see what it says.
      It asks me to get on another street, then get on the freeway to go somewhere else.
      I turn on GPS Drive it tells me to make a U-Turn and I am .25 miles away and it is on the left.
    1. runey71's Avatar
      runey71 -
      Never understood why everyone likes Waze. I guess in more densely populated areas with lots of users it is probably great. In rural Australia it's just plain awful. Most roads are missing until I add them. Apple Maps has been close to perfect in rural Australia. Google Maps perhaps marginally better. Then again if Apple acquire Waze then at least the user base will increase and perhaps lead to improved maps in low population density parts of the world.
    1. HovikGas's Avatar
      HovikGas -
      Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
      Never understood why everyone likes Waze. I guess in more densely populated areas with lots of users it is probably great. In rural Australia it's just plain awful. Most roads are missing until I add them. Apple Maps has been close to perfect in rural Australia. Google Maps perhaps marginally better. Then again if Apple acquire Waze then at least the user base will increase and perhaps lead to improved maps in low population density parts of the world.
      You are correct. It's based on user data. Even here in Los Angeles, I remember getting it when it first came out and it was terrible, but they said that it would get better and better as more people started using it. Now there are so many people using it, that I get ridiculously accurate reports of accidents, speed traps, constriction, etc.

      Merging the social aspect of Waze with Apple's beautiful design, vector graphics, and integration would be amazing. If executed and implemented correctly, it could just be enough to make me ditch Google Maps...
    1. thumper_net's Avatar
      thumper_net -
      Hope apple dont buy waze as that app works and you can see what apple would do , with its past purchases by ending the apps life , apple should buy tomtom , who are also behind the poor excuse of a maps app ( apple maps ) also waze uses google maps for its data , and works , dont want apple maps data behind waze or we will all get lost