• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T Hiking Early iPhone, Smartphone Upgrade Fees


    Calls to AT&T have confirmed looming speculation Monday about AT&T hiking its early upgrade and no-commitment pricing for the wireless carrier's expansive line of smartphones, including the iPhone. Although the changes take place this week, only customers who are presently ineligible for upgrade - or unwilling to sign a new two-year contract - will be effected by the across-the-board price hikes.

    It sounds as though AT&T is pinning the cost increase on the growing sophistication of smartphones and the added cost of keeping up with the times. AT&T reps, however (including the one I spoke with) have been widely quoted today stressing how "individual account needs" can still be addressed by AT&T on a one-on-one basis.

    The company's policy regarding upgrade eligibility, however, doesn't appear to have been altered. Simply put, customers who opt for an upgrade before 12 or 18 months into their contract, or who will only sign a new one year contract (rather than two) will have to pay the new prices to upgrade. For iPhone upgrades, customers are looking at $50 more (iPhone 3GS 8GB is $299, iPhone 4 16GB is $449, iPhone 4 32GB is $549).

    As some may recall, AT&T increased early upgrade fees on its smartphones last October from $75 to $200, although the iPhone was spared from that list. Many began speculating after Verizon got the iPhone earlier this year that AT&T would soon revise its early upgrade fees on the iPhone too as yet another measure to help rope in customers for the long haul in an increasingly competitive smartphone environment. It now looks like those folks were right.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T Hiking Early iPhone, Smartphone Upgrade Fees started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 55 Comments
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      well that sucks, i was thinking about selling my ip4 and hopefully getting a god amount of money to upgrade to the new one, this doesnt really make me not want to but, just annoying though
    1. Nickaroni22's Avatar
      Nickaroni22 -
      Its AT&T what more could we expect!

      Their gonna fork out $39 billion for T-Mobile. I also read if the FCC denies the purchase, AT&T will still pay them $3 billion. So they have to get more $$$ from somewhere.

      AT&T CEO talks optimistically about T-Mobile deal http://usat.me?45742768
    1. LSZ33's Avatar
      LSZ33 -
      I was hoping AT&T would continue letting early adopters upgrade early to the new iPhone like in the past. So much for loyalty.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!
    1. c0dy's Avatar
      c0dy -
      Sounds like AT&T to me.
    1. Ochocinco's Avatar
      Ochocinco -
      all i ever hear is people ******** about at&t give it a damn rest already
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
      Sounds like AT&T to me.
      Actually it sounds like any responsible business trying to run a profitable company for their share holders which they are 100% accountable to.
    1. Colby21's Avatar
      Colby21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
      well that sucks, i was thinking about selling my ip4 and hopefully getting a god amount of money to upgrade to the new one, this doesnt really make me not want to but, just annoying though
      How much is a "god" amount anyway?
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      They're pinning it on the "growing sophistication of smartphones"? The iPhone and many other phones have pretty much remained at the standard 2-yr commitment price despite their advancements. So where is AT&T incurring the extra cost?
    1. glassJAw's Avatar
      glassJAw -
      I'm eligible every year for an upgrade so I Have no complaints
    1. Ochocinco's Avatar
      Ochocinco -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nasty99vette View Post
      if you wanna pay $600 on the iPhone 5 on launch day go ahead an pay it. For all of us that think AT&T are already effing crooks and they are! I'm sure we all wanna take advantage of the early upgrade we been use to and pay $199.00 you must work for AT&T
      so u all of sudden speak for everyone
    1. Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
      Bluemoldycheeze88 -
      I hope to sell my iPhone 3GS for about 200-300 bucks. And I will pay the rest of my pocket for a no commitment iPhone 5 or 4s or what ever hell their going name the thing.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nasty99vette View Post
      if you wanna pay $600 on the iPhone 5 on launch day go ahead an pay it. For all of us that think AT&T are already effing crooks and they are! I'm sure we all wanna take advantage of the early upgrade we been use to and pay $199.00 you must work for AT&T
      LoL, you don't have to be with AT&T or have an iPhone.... that is YOUR choice. I'm with "as*hole" Poseidon79 on this one because every year the same people start whining about the same crap. You signed the contract now don't cry when AT&T expects you to live up to it. They let some upgrade early and now every one expects to be able to upgrade early. Don't like the contract don't sign it and walk out the door with your iPhone.
    1. squassss's Avatar
      squassss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!
      Best response ever. I just sold my iPhone4 so bring on the 5
    1. zeroskater61's Avatar
      zeroskater61 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      This happens every year at upgrade time. People knowingly sign a TWO year contract with the understanding that you have to be under contract for at least 18 months before you are fully eligible for upgrade discounts... then after ONE year they totally forget about the deal they signed and start complaining. Give me a break. If you want an early upgrade fork out the extra cash but don't complain about the contract rules that YOU are asking to break!
      Not fully true... I got the first gen iPhone at a discount, year later I got the iPhone 3G at a discounted price, year later I got the iPhone 3Gs at a discounted price and guess what another year later I got the iPhone 4 at a discounted price and I already looked online under my account and it stated I'll be eligible for an iPhone discount in July 2011 since that's when I got my iPhone 4 last year in July.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      I hate contracts. Especially when there's no flexibility - it's either their contract or no contract.
    1. Ochocinco's Avatar
      Ochocinco -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
      Not fully true... I got the first gen iPhone at a discount, year later I got the iPhone 3G at a discounted price, year later I got the iPhone 3Gs at a discounted price and guess what another year later I got the iPhone 4 at a discounted price and I already looked online under my account and it stated I'll be eligible for an iPhone discount in July 2011 since that's when I got my iPhone 4 last year in July.
      lucky, i get my discount on the day i graduated so i still have to wait for the new iphone to even be announced
    1. Mes's Avatar
      Mes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
      ...iPhone 3GS 8GB is $299, iPhone 4 16GB is $449, iPhone 4 32GB is $549...
      At these prices, the phone should be unlocked
    1. Jackson9211's Avatar
      Jackson9211 -
      When is iPhone 5 coming out?
    1. trent_behunin's Avatar
      trent_behunin -
      You people defending AT&T.... Did you read the article?? its AT&T that is going to increase the price of early upgrades, that means they are breaching the 2 year contract. I bought iPhone 4 last year with intent of paying early upgrade fee and getting the iPhone 5 if it came out on Verizon. So now that Verizon has the iPhone AT&T is desperate to keep it customers, because they know they are a far ********, and is will to screw us, their customers, in the process.