• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Schmidt: Android is Winning The War Against Apple


    Android is winning the war for mobile against Apple.

    If you think these sound like fighting words between fans in iOS and Android camps, you're not alone. But Google's chairman Eric Schmidt started the war of words today by making the bold claim in a new interview with Bloomberg.

    The provocative comments included Schmidt's assertion that Android is pulling ahead of Apple in the mobile-software market "at a rate that compares with Microsoft’s expansion in desktop software in the 1990s."

    Of course, it's not like Schmidt didn't offer some compelling evidence to back up his argument. Android, after all, claimed 72 percent of the smartphone market in the third quarter pf 2012. Apple in comparison retained only 14 percent. Independently, Gartner reports that customers are activating well over 1.3 million Android devices a day.

    “This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple,” Schmidt said. “We’re winning that war pretty clearly now.”

    So far, Apple is yet to offer formal comments in response.

    Source: Bloomberg
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Schmidt: Android is Winning The War Against Apple started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 101 Comments
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      m, Hitler was this arrogant as well...as Dr. Phil would have asked him..."So How's that working for ya". Bill Gates was as well as arrogant..."So How's that working for ya". Quantity doesn't replace Quality. What a dumb A@*.
    1. rcm's Avatar
      rcm -
      Well i'm personally considering changing brands when my contract expires next year, Apple has gotten prehistoric at this point. Maybe a better IOS(and I mean better and not just a new facebook widget), I don't have issues with the device designs, specially since I like that my phone fist in my pocket, but at least give us a better interface, more colors in the screen, or to make it simpler, just give us a reason not to jailbreak and tweak the device.
    1. Tperry's Avatar
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
      they are really only a software venture. Apple does hardware and software, and until Google can say the same they need to stop making comparisons between themselves and Apple. It's like comparing, well, Apples to oranges ...
      Guess the RAZR series are figments of people's imagination huh? The build quality on the MAXX HD is as good as the iPhone and I personally prefer the look of it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
      Can a Samsung galaxy s3 mini do that? NO
      and don't tell me that's a horrible comparison. Because a new 4" iPhone 5 compared to a 4" Samsung galaxy s3 mini is a good comparison if not then maybe Samsung shouldn't remake a smaller ****** phone. When apple makes a 4.8" screen then well talk.
      But there are plenty of other manufacturers phones that will (Motorola, HTC ring a bell)

      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Now THIS is finally an intelligent post. Being able to see the good things about both devices and OS's and realizing each has its strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference as they are pretty comparable now. Or just get both
      Already have both (iPhone 5 and S3) and am about to get the MAXX HD).
    1. cmay227's Avatar
      cmay227 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
      But an htc dna is already obsolete... 30 new android phones have come out since its release! How many iPhones have come out since I bought my iPhone 5? Why do people complain about apple products like they are immediately out of date after their purchase?
      (Comment not completely directed toward you cmay so no offense intended )
      None taken The reason people complain is because they have been bested before they even come out. Thats the reason i switched. The 4 was the last iphone i used and only had it for about 2 mts then sold it. Now i get every new iphone because of Ibots out there will pay me $800 bucks for a damn phone. Blind loyalty...I'm not saying iphones are crap, just their not the mind blowing (headphone jack on the bottom) phones apple fans make them out to be. The first couple..yes. but now everyone has caught up and passed IOS as well as the hardware. retina display was a selling point, but my new phone has a 1080p 440ppi screen yet now that doesn't matter to Ibots. every time a android phone 1 ups apple it's quickly made to be a non factor, even though when iphones had the better spec in this department or that department it was a point of emphasis on why iphones are better. also it will be late next year before a phone comes out by anyone, that out preforms my DNA. screen or hardware wise. and if you bought a iphone 5..reports are the 5s or 6 or what the hell ever apple will call it should be here in june or july. That should piss any Ibot off.
    1. Colin9001's Avatar
      Colin9001 -
      If Apple doesn't give in (and probably never will) give into the fact that Jailbreaks sell iDevices.. And will allow us some way to install 3rd party tweaks, then we all must go Android sometime. The customization of an iPhone is so little.
      All these kids in my school wanting an iPhone because it will make you "cool". 95% of them don't even know what a jailbreak is.
    1. Xiao Bing's Avatar
      Xiao Bing -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

      - beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO
      - use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO
      - run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
      - share any file of any type with just one tap? NO
      - drag and drop files....like say music and then use those files? NO

      give you; a larger screen, expandable memory, HDMI ports, USB ports, 5.1 dolby surround sound, NFC, 720p or 1080p displays? quad core processors or 2GB RAM?

      the fact that you have to even jailbreak an iPhone just to get simple and basic features of stock Android speaks volumes as to why iOS is inferior to Android when it comes to sheer useability and user experience.

      It's sad that you make this comparison using features people would not really consider and NOT buy iPhone. The sales figures show it. They (Android) really got you there...
      "Let's just give them everything Apple Hasn't", that is inventing according to them.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Well now that that is settled...can we move on?!?!
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Some may change however I love my iPhone and will never use a Android.... I just don't care for them.
    1. Woejangles's Avatar
      Woejangles -
      Quote Originally Posted by kooris View Post
      People, calm down. What apple is doing is pushing forward a more polished, professional phone for those who choose to use it. Apple didn't make it for you to jailbreak it, and if you did buy it just to jailbreak it, then you are wrong. These two companies have different strategies, and Schmidt is doing the wrong thing, trying to compare the two.
      I bought mine to jailbreak it, because then it would be myphone. Screw apples vice and let users do what they want. I feel like I'm in the grid otherwise
    1. kraziebone's Avatar
      kraziebone -
      People are so emotionally tied to their mobile os. This was what was intended by the advertising companies but wow. Take a step back
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
      m, Hitler was this arrogant as well...as Dr. Phil would have asked him..."So How's that working for ya". Bill Gates was as well as arrogant..."So How's that working for ya". Quantity doesn't replace Quality. What a dumb A@*.
      Steve Jobs is closer to Hitler than any of the person you mentioned above, yet iFamboys treat him like god. What does that say about you?
    1. dookie454's Avatar
      dookie454 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

      - beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO
      - use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO
      - run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
      - share any file of any type with just one tap? NO
      - drag and drop files....like say music and then use those files? NO
      "beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO" - EITHER CAN ANDROID YOU TOOL. You have to activate BOTH FIRST. Texting/Emailing is MUCH LESS work, and you don't have to get up, walk over to your buddy in a meeting or living room to do so. "BEAMING" hahaha. Dumb.

      "use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO" WRONG AGAIN!!! HAHAHA What do you think you cant tell the phone to do? You can TELL Iphone to Re-arrange calendars, add calendars, text people, check weather, play songs, whatever, etc. etc. etc. Do I use any of it? Rarely.

      Yea Widgets sure are useful. The only widget I like isn't even avail. on Android. Called WeatherIcon. Google it.

      "share any file of any type with just one tap? NO" OH YOU CAN SEND YOUR PLAYLISTS TO SOMEONE ELSE?? HOW USEFUL WHEN NO MUSIC IS SENT!!! GREAT FEATURE!! YOU CAN SEND PLAYLISTS WITH IPHONE TOO. But It's dumb, and I did one time. It was stupid.

      "drag and drop files" - YEP SURE CAN. IN ITUNES. DO IT ALL THE TIME.

      How about sending 20,000 pictures to your ANDROID that are 16mb each? HAHA. Itunes rescales them to take advantage of your phones max resolution so your not wasting space since your phone has no need to carry that resolution around anyway on a phone. So i get more content on my Iphone than you, when both are the same GB capacity, with much less work, as usual.

      How about when your forget to set your Android camera app to max resolution and you take a bunch of pics? Iphone is always at max resolution, and it asks you if you want to reduce size when your email... incase you want it smaller size. Simple things like this is where Iphone wins.

      So keep watching Google OS play catch up to Iphone, (who's Siri?) oh, and the whole Galaxy lawsuit where they literally copied the IOS user interface.. hahaha
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Really. You have to tell your android to be at max resolution! Why? Anyways. I can android being a good phone. It's just the fact that
      1. They have useless features.
      2. Cluttered third party apps always cluttering the phone until you root it.

      Palm swipe to take a screenshot…really?!
    1. cmay227's Avatar
      cmay227 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
      "beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO" - EITHER CAN ANDROID YOU TOOL. You have to activate BOTH FIRST. Texting/Emailing is MUCH LESS work, and you don't have to get up, walk over to your buddy in a meeting or living room to do so. "BEAMING" hahaha. Dumb.

      "use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO" WRONG AGAIN!!! HAHAHA What do you think you cant tell the phone to do? You can TELL Iphone to Re-arrange calendars, add calendars, text people, check weather, play songs, whatever, etc. etc. etc. Do I use any of it? Rarely.

      Yea Widgets sure are useful. The only widget I like isn't even avail. on Android. Called WeatherIcon. Google it.

      "share any file of any type with just one tap? NO" OH YOU CAN SEND YOUR PLAYLISTS TO SOMEONE ELSE?? HOW USEFUL WHEN NO MUSIC IS SENT!!! GREAT FEATURE!! YOU CAN SEND PLAYLISTS WITH IPHONE TOO. But It's dumb, and I did one time. It was stupid.

      "drag and drop files" - YEP SURE CAN. IN ITUNES. DO IT ALL THE TIME.

      How about sending 20,000 pictures to your ANDROID that are 16mb each? HAHA. Itunes rescales them to take advantage of your phones max resolution so your not wasting space since your phone has no need to carry that resolution around anyway on a phone. So i get more content on my Iphone than you, when both are the same GB capacity, with much less work, as usual.

      How about when your forget to set your Android camera app to max resolution and you take a bunch of pics? Iphone is always at max resolution, and it asks you if you want to reduce size when your email... incase you want it smaller size. Simple things like this is where Iphone wins.

      So keep watching Google OS play catch up to Iphone, (who's Siri?) oh, and the whole Galaxy lawsuit where they literally copied the IOS user interface.. hahaha
      You have never once did a drag and drop your files to a iphone. itunes is not your phone!! read it again and then post accordingly. and FYI i beamed 5 albums and 3 apps today, how many have you done? that's right it's dumb and stupid and you don't have NFC. My wifes razr maxx has 144 gigs, what do you have 16,32 or 64? That's the only choice you have right? Why? 'cause that's what apple tells you you have. Damn Ibot.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Dafuq you need 144Gbs for?
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
      You have never once did a drag and drop your files to a iphone. itunes is not your phone!! read it again and then post accordingly. and FYI i beamed 5 albums and 3 apps today, how many have you done? that's right it's dumb and stupid and you don't have NFC. My wifes razr maxx has 144 gigs, what do you have 16,32 or 64? That's the only choice you have right? Why? 'cause that's what apple tells you you have. Damn Ibot.
      How about beaming your self to modmymobile.com where the fandroids hang..oh wait they hang here for some strange reason..
    1. yatezy's Avatar
      yatezy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
      "share any file of any type with just one tap? NO" OH YOU CAN SEND YOUR PLAYLISTS TO SOMEONE ELSE?? HOW USEFUL WHEN NO MUSIC IS SENT!!! GREAT FEATURE!! YOU CAN SEND PLAYLISTS WITH IPHONE TOO. But It's dumb, and I did one time. It was stupid.
      You don't just send your playlist you can send any file you want. Pics, vids, music, apps, whatever file is on your phone is transferable
    1. redstar299's Avatar
      redstar299 -
      I think people that argue all day on which OS is better need to discover pussy.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      I don't think is something about Android or iOS, its the price of the devices. Like me I was waiting for the mini iPad release expecting it was going to be $200 or $250, I was ready to buy two of them, after I knew the price, I decided to buy two Samsung Galaxy tablets for the price of one mini iPad. Don't get me wrong, I have an iMac, one iPad 2, four iPhones and one apple TV. These are my first Android devices. If apple increase their prices more and more you will see.
    1. 1pop23's Avatar
      1pop23 -
      Oh this... People, go with what you like and prefer.
      I love iPhone as my daily driver, it's always fast, stable, everything is just right there. Tablet wise I love android because I love being able to customize, be able to change anything right down to the rom.
      Both have ups and downs. Only difference is how cheap android is.