• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Tim Cooks Vows to 'Map' Out Better Solution for Apple


    Apple CEO Tim Cook isn't shying away from conversation about what is arguably the company's biggest flop of 2012.

    In a surprisingly in-depth interview granted to BusinessWeek, Cook unabashedly admitted the following with regard to Apple's own mapping solution: "We screwed up." He once again pledged to deliver significant improvements -- and soon.

    "We wanted to provide the customer turn-by-turn directions. We wanted to provide the customer voice integration. We wanted to provide the customer flyover. And so we had a list of things that we thought would be a great customer experience, and we couldn't do it any other way than to do it ourselves… And the truth is it didn't live up to our expectations," Cook said in the interview.

    Cook reiterated that Apple is "putting all of our energy into making [Maps] right. And we have already had several software updates. We've got a huge plan to make it even better. It will get better and better over time."

    Unfortunately, Cook did not provide any specific details regarding when the mission to improve Maps would be completed. To check out the full interview, click here.

    Source: BusinessWeek
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Tim Cooks Vows to 'Map' Out Better Solution for Apple started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 26 Comments
    1. kidrobot714's Avatar
      kidrobot714 -
      honestly, the maps have been working fine for me... :/
    1. ohthatguyagain's Avatar
      ohthatguyagain -
      He screwed up by negating years of Jobs-ology. Admitting a semi-mistake instead of refusing to back down - not what Jobs what do.

      Tim cook should only have one question on his mind: What Would Jobs Do?
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
      He screwed up by negating years of Jobs-ology. Admitting a semi-mistake instead of refusing to back down - not what Jobs what do.

      Tim cook should only have one question on his mind: What Would Jobs Do?
      Cook is no Jobs. That's for certain. But I'm not convinced he needs to be. Time will tell. What Apple has to fight now is that Apple's no longer "cool" with the under 21 crowd. Why not? Because all their parents have iPhone now. Interesting conundrum for Apple.
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      In all honesty, they didn't have to do any of that themselves, there were plenty of jailbreak tweaks that showed them it was technically possible with Google Maps or any other map provider.
    1. ViperzDTL's Avatar
      ViperzDTL -
      tbh same here, its under a lot of scrutiny but I've personally had no problems lol
    1. MXCO's Avatar
      MXCO -
      Only trouble I ran into with maps the other day was it wasn't showing the traffic when it was during traffic time, I just turned off my iPhone turned it back on and it started to work lol.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      I remember one time I was driving and turn by turn told me to make a u-turn at a road that wasnt even there. Funny thing is that wasnt apple maps that told me that. It was tomtom.

      Then a few times I was lead in a completely off route way with google maps.

      My point is EVERY map navigation system has issues. Personally apple maps have done nothing but work better than anything I've ever tried. With its integration on lock screen and Siri, for me it can't be beat
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Quote Originally Posted by kidrobot714 View Post
      honestly, the maps have been working fine for me... :/
      Same. Then again I live in small areas that aren't 3d capable. But that's besides the point. My battery life sucks since iOS 6 officially released for 4s
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Have yet to see the problem with the Map app..it works great IMHO.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Went to search for a hotel location today. No results
      Exact same search string in Google Maps. Exact result.
      iOS Maps has been nothing but crap for me.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Went to search for a hotel location today. No results
      Exact same search string in Google Maps. Exact result.
      iOS Maps has been nothing but crap for me.
      On more than one occasion a friend on ios5 could not find an address I search it on iOS 6 maps and it pulls right up. Point being every map app has its flaws
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      On more than one occasion a friend on ios5 could not find an address I search it on iOS 6 maps and it pulls right up. Point being every map app has its flaws
      Same here. Flawless for me. With the one major exception of Apple Maps not having street view - I actually like Apple Maps better than Google Maps. The turn by turn is perfect -- -- for me. The fact that Apple wants to improve - great!!!!
    1. z3r01's Avatar
      z3r01 -
      i had no problems with it so im good
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Same here. Flawless for me. With the one major exception of Apple Maps not having street view - I actually like Apple Maps better than Google Maps. The turn by turn is perfect -- -- for me. The fact that Apple wants to improve - great!!!!
      I've never found street view to be helpful or even useful for me. I know it is not many but for me it was just gimmicky feature to past time with.

      And I agree with you. I've never been happier with a map app personally
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      I've never found street view to be helpful or even useful for me. I know it is not many but for me it was just gimmicky feature to past time with.

      And I agree with you. I've never been happier with a map app personally
      Well the problem was (always is) that people expect everything to work EXACTLY as it did before.. down to every button touch. When it doesn't they cry, "STUPID PIECE OF INFERIOR JUNK!!!".. instead of taking the half day to learn the NEW functionalities.. and maybe they'd even find some things they liked better.. It's an impatient culture. Cook was still destined to be beat up because of the loss of both Google Maps and YouTube in one hit.. And trust me - street view is VERY necessary if you're looking for landmarks at an address you've never been to. I used street view every time I had to get to a destination. It's a must to eventually be included in Maps. It is NOT just a toy.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Well the problem was (always is) that people expect everything to work EXACTLY as it did before.. down to every button touch. When it doesn't they cry, "STUPID PIECE OF INFERIOR JUNK!!!".. instead of taking the half day to learn the NEW functionalities.. and maybe they'd even find some things they liked better.. It's an impatient culture. Cook was still destined to be beat up because of the loss of both Google Maps and YouTube in one hit.. And trust me - street view is VERY necessary if you're looking for landmarks at an address you've never been to. I used street view every time I had to get to a destination. It's a must to eventually be included in Maps. It is NOT just a toy.
      I would have to disagree. With turn by turn I personally don't see the necessity. To me street view is a thing that was necessary before your phones could tell you where to go.

      Idk I guess to each there own I can see how people could like it and how it could be useful, but everytime I've ever had to go anywhere in any town. LA or SF turn by turn got me there the best rather than try and stair at a street view.
    1. Breezy215's Avatar
      Breezy215 -
      I'll admit, I kind of miss street view. It was very useful when i was considering moving to a new city and was looking at potential homes/neighborhoods. But I'd rather have the free turn by turn Siri guided navigation. I applaud Apple for wanting to change and because Google wasn't willing to do TxT Nav for free, Apple moved on, without them.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      I would have to disagree. With turn by turn I personally don't see the necessity. To me street view is a thing that was necessary before your phones could tell you where to go.

      Idk I guess to each there own I can see how people could like it and how it could be useful, but everytime I've ever had to go anywhere in any town. LA or SF turn by turn got me there the best rather than try and stair at a street view.
      No, no, silly! You don't "stare" at it! LOL!! That would cause a crash!. Nobody ever stared at their Street view while they're driving, dude. When you put your directions in to turn by turn you "look at your destination" in Street View before you get on the road.

      I travel daily around Philadelphia and New York for my living and over half my destinations don't have numbers on the buildings when I arrive per my turn by turn directions or I don't want to have to slow down so much to piss off the guy behind me when I'm trying to look for the number on the building. I want to "look at" the whole block area before I drive up to it. And I'm not alone at all. Remember we've had GPS and turn by turn capability for over 15 years. And Google spent millions sending their trucks with their panoramic cameras around the world over a period of five years to get Street view operational. Obviously there was a public need for this feature. One that many many people use daily. But again people do NOT use it "while" they are driving. They use it before they get on the highway to look at their destination to get an idea of landmarks in the area and where to park, etc.

      Now we can have differing views on any individual's personal "need" for such a thing. You (and others) don't need it. I and many others do. But I assure you Google created it because many people wanted it -not as a gimmick. And that's why Apple will eventually includ it in their maps software. Even though they'll have to pay Google for the rights to the pictures of the streets. I doubt Apple will duplicate Google's efforts and send out their own trucks around the world.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      No, no, silly! You don't "stare" at it! LOL!! That would cause a crash!. Nobody ever stared at their Street view while they're driving, dude. When you put your directions in to turn by turn you "look at your destination" in Street View before you get on the road.

      I travel daily around Philadelphia and New York for my living and over half my destinations don't have numbers on the buildings when I arrive per my turn by turn directions or I don't want to have to slow down so much to piss off the guy behind me when I'm trying to look for the number on the building. I want to "look at" the whole block area before I drive up to it. And I'm not alone at all. Remember we've had GPS and turn by turn capability for over 15 years. And Google spent millions sending their trucks with their panoramic cameras around the world over a period of five years to get Street view operational. Obviously there was a public need for this feature. One that many many people use daily. But again people do NOT use it "while" they are driving. They use it before they get on the highway to look at their destination to get an idea of landmarks in the area and where to park, etc.

      Now we can have differing views on any individual's personal "need" for such a thing. You (and others) don't need it. I and many others do. But I assure you Google created it because many people wanted it -not as a gimmick. And that's why Apple will eventually includ it in their maps software. Even though they'll have to pay Google for the rights to the pictures of the streets. I doubt Apple will duplicate Google's efforts and send out their own trucks around the world.
      No doubt it's usefull. That's why I said for me I never needed to use it. Also my though is because its something commonly used not while getting direction then perhaps apple feels "there is an app for that" lol. I still feel that apple maps has been faster and with the integrations with Siri and turn by turn it makes it much better than google maps.

      Even though google maps has more data I can only speak for myself and in california it has worked Great sense beta 1

      I like your input and its nice to have a discussion for once that isn't someone callin the other person stupid for believing what they believe
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      No doubt it's usefull. That's why I said for me I never needed to use it. Also my though is because its something commonly used not while getting direction then perhaps apple feels "there is an app for that" lol. I still feel that apple maps has been faster and with the integrations with Siri and turn by turn it makes it much better than google maps.

      Even though google maps has more data I can only speak for myself and in california it has worked Great sense beta 1

      I like your input and its nice to have a discussion for once that isn't someone callin the other person stupid for believing what they believe
      Yeah! Good exchange, Suby. Thanks for your insights! We do agree 100% that Apple Maps is a nice step forward for Apple. Cook didn't need to apologize for anything at all.