• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Early Benchmarks and Reviews Conclude a Boost in Performance for New iMacs


    Benchmarks for Apple’s redesigned 21.5” and 27” iMac models are now available and as many hoped, they show significant performance increases over the previous-generation models. The folks over at CNET managed to get their hands on the 27” iMac before its public availability and in their tests; the high-end iMac scored 7.49 points in a multi-core rendering Cinebench test - a value which bested the 4.85 score of the May 2011 iMac by more than 54%.



    Based on the tests, the new hybrid Fusion Drive offers major performance gains in iTunes encoding as the new 27-inch iMac took 52 seconds in their test, compared with the 86 seconds in the previous generation model. An image processing test with Photoshop also reduced time necessary from 236 seconds in the 2011 model to 199 seconds in the redesigned 2012 model.

    While wider tests of the 27-inch iMac aren’t yet available with the hardware not on sale to the public yet, a number of tests with the 21.5” variety were published by Primate Labs (the makers of the Geekbench testing software). The late 2012 21.5” iMac scored 12,447, which was about 9% better than the mid-2011 27” iMac, and roughly 25% faster than the 21.5” model from last year.



    Based on its review, CNET said the new 27” iMac is an elite all-in-one desktop that currently makes it one of the best available on the market. The publication gave the new iMac a score of 4 out of 5 stars. The review was concluded by saying that “the computer is for serious, performance-driven users, particularly those who need a high-resolution display, and fast graphics and disk performance.”

    Source: CNET, Primate Labs
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Early Benchmarks and Reviews Conclude a Boost in Performance for New iMacs started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Im just wondering why the word "conclude" is in there. *I mean you dont really have to tell us that the speeds are faster than before.. i mean im glad you posted the benchmarks but the title was unnecessary
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      Im just wondering why the word "conclude" is in there. *I mean you dont really have to tell us that the speeds are faster than before.. i mean im glad you posted the benchmarks but the title was unnecessary
      It gives them something to write about until jailbreak and tweaks come back out again.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      I was really thinking that there was going to be a decrease in processor speed...

      Oh well, my dreams are shattered; maybe next time!!!

      ***sarcasm font, BTW***
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Yah! Yah! Everything's all sweeet and fast ... UNTIL something goes wrong!
      Look at the article on the teardown of the iMac.
      Sorry, but I'll stick to a desktop PC that I can easily open and fix if something goes wrong!
      AND remember Murphy's Law !
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      Yah! Yah! Everything's all sweeet and fast ... UNTIL something goes wrong!
      Look at the article on the teardown of the iMac.
      Sorry, but I'll stick to a desktop PC that I can easily open and fix if something goes wrong!
      AND remember Murphy's Law !
      You do that
    1. truenorth's Avatar
      truenorth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      Im just wondering why the word "conclude" is in there. *I mean you dont really have to tell us that the speeds are faster than before.. i mean im glad you posted the benchmarks but the title was unnecessary
      Picky.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      This just in: Newer computer is faster than older computer!
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      This just in: Newer computer is faster than older computer!
      That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!! How dare you speak such crap in here hahaha
    1. cpotoso's Avatar
      cpotoso -
      In the meantime, apple still does not realize that it is a royal PITB to have to go all the way to the back of the device to plug in some usb thumb drive... USB connectors on the side? Too much to ask? The imac is all aesthetics and zero consideration of the design in terms of functionality. My next mac will be a mac mini plus a generic monitor (with USB connections that can be reached comfortably).
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      In the meantime, apple still does not realize that it is a royal PITB to have to go all the way to the back of the device to plug in some usb thumb drive... USB connectors on the side? Too much to ask? The imac is all aesthetics and zero consideration of the design in terms of functionality. My next mac will be a mac mini plus a generic monitor (with USB connections that can be reached comfortably).
      At that rate just build a hackintosh. Mine all together cost me 800 bucks and scores 13,000 on geekbench. That's roughly the score of the bottom line Mac Pro.

      Also think the sides are to thin for USB lol
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      In the meantime, apple still does not realize that it is a royal PITB to have to go all the way to the back of the device to plug in some usb thumb drive... USB connectors on the side? Too much to ask? The imac is all aesthetics and zero consideration of the design in terms of functionality. My next mac will be a mac mini plus a generic monitor (with USB connections that can be reached comfortably).
      This is what I have for our iMac. 10 ports and out of the way! BTW, four of the ports are in the back.

      Got it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00483WRZ6?qid=1354640695&sr=8-1

      Attachment 616691