• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Says 2 Million iPads Sold Already



    Less than two full months after its official consumer release, Apple is now proclaiming - and with just a bit of obvious pride in the announcement - that the Cupertino-based tech giant has sold a whopping two million iPads to date. At two million units sold in two months, Apple is clearly on pace to hit industry analysts' expectations of approximately five million tablet sales by the end of 2010. According to a report from Reuters, however, RBC Capital Markets predicts that iPad's total shipments could reach as high as 8 million units worldwide by the end of the year. In case you're wondering, that would generate about $4 billion in revenue for Apple.

    Apple, however, did not provide a location-based breakdown of sales and where the tablet is hottest from a geographic standpoint. But, presumably, these latest numbers include the numbers brought in since Friday when the iPad arrived for the first time in overseas markets, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. Long lines and sold out stores were rampant across many of the nations that are only one weekend into the iPad era.

    The iPad's gradual global rollout, however, is far from over, as Apple is planning to ship the device to nearly a dozen more countries this summer, and additional yet-to-be named markets by the end of 2010. Of course, the iPad's thunder will likely be stolen next month - but only by another Apple product. When Apple CEO Steve Jobs (probably) rolls out the 4th-generation iPhone on the June 7th start of the WWDC, the iPad will have to share some of the spotlight with the most hotly anticipated smartphone since... the last updated iPhone release.

    Image via The Financial Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Says 2 Million iPads Sold Already started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      For what it's worth, I have used one (in fact my fiance bought one), and I still don't see much of a point (for me). If I had to describe it, it is just as many have said; a bigger iPod touch. The fact that it is bigger makes some applications innately more pleasing and easier to use. This doesn't change the fact that it is, as said, a bigger iPod touch. There are a handful of things that are more convenient than on a phone (like typing), but that convenience is thrown out the window when I get my @$$ off the couch and sit behind the computer desk and use a real computer. I also tend to like watching/listening to media on a large flatscreen with surround instead of on the couch with a 10-inch screen in my lap. Maybe I am the fool here, but I am a happy fool in this case. If I traveled much, this would be a completely different story as (I feel) that is where the iPad shines. Would be great to have such amazing battery life in a relatively large screen for watching movies on the plane/train/etc.

      Quote Originally Posted by fearls101 View Post
      Exactly.
      I. An type way faster than i could on any laptop. Plus it's just freaking sweet
      I am sorry but if this is true, you simply don't know how to type properly.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      I don't think your looking at the future of this device. Jailbreak it, and you have a tons of applications you can explore. [And I know there is a Jailbreaking app for the iPad right now, but most of the apps in cydia don't support it at the moment.] Due to the hardware upgrade, jailbreaking and using the battery draining applications once used on the itouch/iphone won't be a problem. Some weeks ago, a guy was actually able to port Android onto a iPhone, don't you think some one will be able to port a OS onto the iPad? Sure it won't work perfectly, but the hardware capabilities will allow it, as it did for Android on the iPhone. And I do agree about the price reduction over time, but think of it this way, everything you will buy will always reduce in price overtime so thinking "I should wait" isn't always a right way to look at things. There will always be newer devices, lower prices of the previous product and etc.
      You missed his point. He isn't waiting for the price of the old unit to drop, but rather for the price on the type of device to drop. Apple frequently overprices their products that are new without any competition on the market. Frequently their are permanent price drops on the product line. To me, this is what was meant here, no "I am going to wait to buy an old model 1-2 years down the line".

      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      Are you kidding me? That's like saying I wish I could sync my iPhone to my iPod Nano. Redundant much? Concept: Your Mac or PC hosts all your stuff... in my case several terabytes of music and video. Then you distribute that stuff to your iDevices as needed. The iPad is not meant to be the host! It's also not really meant to hold the same information as your iPod. I have mainly video on my iPad and music on my iPhone and shuffle (of course).

      As for minimizing programs... backgrounder now... integrated backgrounding in the fall.
      It still wouldn't be a BAD thing IMO. We are buying a $500+ device that is virtually useless unless you have a PC to sync it to. I think a lot of people were wanting in a tablet to be something like a laptop alternative. In that sense, it falls short. YOU may not like a feature like that, but calling someone out for wanting a feature like that is a little bit silly IMO.
    1. Faxmonkey's Avatar
      Faxmonkey -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      I don't think your looking at the future of this device. Jailbreak it, and you have a tons of applications you can explore. [And I know there is a Jailbreaking app for the iPad right now, but most of the apps in cydia don't support it at the moment.] Due to the hardware upgrade, jailbreaking and using the battery draining applications once used on the itouch/iphone won't be a problem. Some weeks ago, a guy was actually able to port Android onto a iPhone, don't you think some one will be able to port a OS onto the iPad? Sure it won't work perfectly, but the hardware capabilities will allow it, as it did for Android on the iPhone. And I do agree about the price reduction over time, but think of it this way, everything you will buy will always reduce in price overtime so thinking "I should wait" isn't always a right way to look at things. There will always be newer devices, lower prices of the previous product and etc.
      If I was going to buy it for the hardware alone, I'd just buy something else -- might as well get a camera or two if I'm gonna pay for it. It costs Apple less than $300 dollars to make, and yet the cheapest model is $500 dollars. Even if Apple was selling them at cost, I wouldn't *leap* at the opportunity to buy them. I probably would buy one, but it's not something that's going to change my life. It's a neat toy, but its a luxury item not a productivity tool. It replaces a Kindle, not a laptop.

      Maybe as software develops someday it can be even more than that, but I'm concerned with what it is currently -- which is a nifty but kinda of expensive way to view Netflix on the toilet.

      To tell the truth, what I'm really, really interested in is something along the lines of (but not necessarily) the Dell Streak. Basically, they said "bigger screen than phone is nice, but being able to fit it your pocket is also nice" and compromised and made a "5 inch tablet" or a "5 inch screen phone" depending on your point of view. I really like that idea. That really kinda gives you the best of both worlds. Too bad Apple won't make a 5 inch iPhone . . . I don't care if it looks stupid if you try to hold it up to your head, I rarely talk on my iPhone anyways. I have 3500 rollover minutes atm and I have the plan with the fewest possible voice minutes . . . Make it as big as possible but still pocketable, imo.
    1. goodgod2's Avatar
      goodgod2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Apparently you have never gone to a Apple store and tested one out. Everyone who thought it was just a big itouch don't know what they are talking about. After you try one, you WILL want one. It's quite amazing up close, and quite fun to work with.

      But 2 million sold already, just too epic.
      You haven't answer my question... all you said and predict,was i dont know what i'm talking about cause i haven't play with one...and i'm not dissing the iPad saying it's ****, but i'm just saying what the iPad truly is and that is a giant ipod touch.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Im guessing your on the internet 24/7? There is nothing more than internet? kk
      /sarcasm

      Well... when 50% of the hype of the damn product is the fact that it is so easy, intuitive, and fun to browse the net on the thing, yes, internet capabilities do make a difference. Around the house, I think internet browsing is probably the number one use of this product.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post

      Your a sucker for not buying one. If only a few hundred or even a thousand people bought the iPad, then you have a argument to stand on, but 2 million, and probably more than 5 million end of this year. Yea sure, we are ALL suckers.

      Using the fact that a person isn't going with the flow of the majority to "prove" they are a sucker is quite ridiculous my friend. There are plenty of instances in history that prove your statement quite false.
    1. TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
      TheGrandFinale2001 -
      Well good for Apple and the people who purchased one, but I'll stick with the iPhone
    1. tremerone's Avatar
      tremerone -
      ...yeah yeah....I'm just jealous I didn't come up with all this iPod, iPhone, iPad stuff first.....I wish I had created "revolutionary" devices that create such an uproar & excitement amongst a large market of people with cash in hand.
    1. Bluprint's Avatar
      Bluprint -
      look i like my ipad but it needs flash. end of story

      i don't care if html 5 is the future of all things, it has yet to replace anything.
    1. Faxmonkey's Avatar
      Faxmonkey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
      look i like my ipad but it needs flash. end of story

      i don't care if html 5 is the future of all things, it has yet to replace anything.
      Yeah, and after seeing how good Flash is on Android phones atm (without even having fully implemented hardware acceleration, I don't think Apple has any excuses left that haven't been debunked. I mean, on-demand! It's click-to-flash for the phone. It's perfect! You get full flash, but you will never, ever see a Flash ad. How great is that? And battery has not been an issue, stability isn't a major problem (I've heard there might have been a few crashes for some people -- but Hell mobile Safari crashes daily for me).

      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post

      Using the fact that a person isn't going with the flow of the majority to "prove" they are a sucker is quite ridiculous my friend. There are plenty of instances in history that prove your statement quite false.

      Moreover the vast majority of people on earth have not bought an iPad. I can't speak to their intent, as to whether they want to get one eventually or not, but so far they have not. Two million sold could easily mean that every single one has gone to a card-carrying mac-owning "true believer" and that none of these things ended up in the hands of the people skeptical about it initially. Two million would barely be half of 1% of all the the people in the US, and the product has already been released in other countries too.

      What Follows is unrelated rambling. Read at your own peril:

      I'm quite curious as to how well the iPad will be able to sell once they're done with all the launches. Apple was very clever to stagger their launches so that there was always another one around the corner to keep people talking about the iPad and to ensure a steady number of sales. Once they run out of launches, however, it'll be old news. Will people still buy it at the current rate?

      My guess is there's a lot of people like myself who are sitting back watching saying "Yeah, that's a nifty little toy -- but I don't want to pay $500 dollars for it."

      My own personal guess is that somewhere around 3 to 5 million sold, they'll have reached the point where pretty much everyone who's going to pay $500 dollars has bought one and they'll have to knock some money off the price to reinvigorate sales or they'll have to announce a new iPad that makes the old one obsolete and forces everyone to to go buy another one. Hell, they might even make the old model $400 dollars and do both at once.

      Apple will say: "Hey look, it has a camera! All you 4 million people who bought your iPads already are now obsolete! Go buy another one!"

      It's a pet peeve of mine that Apple intentionally leaves stuff off of their products just so they can give you a compelling incentive to buy the next generation. They actually left room for a camera inside the iPad and clearly tested it with a camera. I'm pretty damn sure this is why the first gen iPhone didn't have 3g, and why the 3gs doesn't have a front-facing camera.

      It's a diabolical trap . . . There's no reason why Apple couldn't have delivered all these things at once, but they have to incentivize you to buy a new phone every year, and if the technology increases over a year won't be enough by themselves, then they have to hold stuff back to make each iteration compelling.
    1. ClerkDante's Avatar
      ClerkDante -
      Why do people who have no interest in, or seemingly flat out hate the iPad spend so much of their time posting in an iPad specific forum?
    1. tinaru's Avatar
      tinaru -
      iPad is a lovely device. Definitely it needs some improvements and with the future releases it will be better and better.Jobs, Youtube and others have already made the first steps toward HTML5/H.264...but things are moving slowly as always...webmaster, developers have to move on and leave flash