• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • New Firefox Beta Includes Retina Display Support and More


    A new Firefox beta is available for download today by Mozilla that includes a nice list of new features that Firefox users are sure to enjoy.

    On the top of the list of new features is support for the retina display in Apple’s newest MacBook Pros. The retina display has more pixels per inch, so the browser would usually appear blurry or pixelated in its past form on the retina display; the update gives it that crisp appearance that you would expect on the retina display. The retina display support is only for the Mac OS X version of the browser, however the beta is available for Windows and Linux users as well.

    The browser also gets support for the new IonMonkey JavaScript JIT compiler, which allows Firefox to be faster and more efficient when dealing with JavaScript. This small boost should make the Web browser feel just a bit faster on pages with a lot of JavaScript.

    Security is also in mind, as Firefox can now completely disable all insecure content on secured pages that are using HTTPS so that you can feel safer on the Internet. All additional security is certainly welcome in all forms.

    Last but not least, the browser gets support for basic W3C touch events.

    This version of Mozilla Firefox is still in its beta stages, so try it at your own risk. Mozilla will be launching a public version of this release when all the bugs have been hammered out. You can download the beta from this link.

    Sources: Mozilla via iClarified
    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Firefox Beta Includes Retina Display Support and More started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
    1. DistortedHope's Avatar
      DistortedHope -
      I still don't understand why developers have to rebuild their programs to support a different resolution screen. It's a computer, that supports many different resolutions out of the box. You don't see windows devs rewriting their programs for different variations of the same computer.
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post
      I still don't understand why developers have to rebuild their programs to support a different resolution screen. It's a computer, that supports many different resolutions out of the box. You don't see windows devs rewriting their programs for different variations of the same computer.
      Its because its high PPI, other wise everything would be tiny and unreadable.
    1. DistortedHope's Avatar
      DistortedHope -
      Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
      Its because its high PPI, other wise everything would be tiny and unreadable.
      But why doesn't the OS just upscale the text and what not? I get raster images, those would need to be redone but really almost everything else could be done by the OS.
    1. Aehmlo's Avatar
      Aehmlo -
      Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post
      But why doesn't the OS just upscale the text and what not? I get raster images, those would need to be redone but really almost everything else could be done by the OS.
      Umm...everything else /is/ done by the OS when Apple's concerned. With iOS, the iPhone 4+4[S] still have a screen size of 320x480 programmatically. Fonts are vector-based, so they just upscale that. But how much of a browser do you think is in the form of vectors? Not trying to start a big argument, but that's why they need to update it.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      When isn't there a new download from Mozilla....?? This is nice for those with a retina display, but all the other "daily" updates from them are annoying.