• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Microsoft: Apple is a "Low-Volume" Player


    As Steve Ballmer revealed that Microsoft sold 4 million upgrades of its new Windows 8 operating system in its first four days, he continued onward to dismiss Apple as a “low-volume” player in markets like PCs and smartphones. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, when asked if he would like Microsoft to evolve to Apple’s business model, where the company controls both the hardware and software, Ballmer said he prefers to stay with Microsoft’s business model. He did concede that their model was “evolving” with devices like the new Surface tablet though.

    According to Ballmer, “in every category Apple competes, it’s the low volume player, except in tablets. In the PC Market, obviously the advantage of diversity has mattered since 90-something percent of PCs that get sold are Windows PCs. We’ll see what winds up mattering in tablets.”

    In the United States, Apple’s iPhone accounts for about a third of all smartphones in use, while Google’s Android platform is on more than 50% of handsets. Microsoft’s mobile platform only accounted for 3.6% of smartphone subscribers according to comScore’s September report. As for the Mac, Apple has seen its share in the PC market increase continuously as it has repeatedly outgrown the PC market. The latest data issued earlier in the month gave Apple nearly 14% of the U.S. PC market.

    Microsoft is probably hoping to counter some of the success Apple’s Mac platform has had with its new Windows 8 operating system, which was released last week. Ballmer recently revealed at Microsoft’s Build event on Tuesday that sales of Windows 8 upgrades reached a whopping 4 million in the first four days.

    As far as the iPad goes, even Ballmer had no choice but to admit that Apple carries the lion’s share of the tablet market. The latest figures reveal that the iPad accounts for more than 60% of all tablets sold worldwide – a number that is likely to increase with the upcoming release of the iPad mini.

    Source: The Wall Street Journal
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Microsoft: Apple is a "Low-Volume" Player started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 28 Comments
    1. pakitos's Avatar
      pakitos -
      With upgrades as low as $14.99 who would buy the upgrade?

      Bought my W7 Pro at around $40 USD when it came out and so Im trying to buy the W8 Pro for $14.99 next week, buying it doesnt mean Im going to use it since I've been on OSX for many years.

      And calling it "low-volume"? This bald man need some straight stadistics that arent coming from Microsoft itself.
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Here we go again???? Comparing Apples to oranges lol pun intended! ;-) can't compare Windows to OSX! Have 10-15 manufactures making 10-15 model each all running windows and 1 making the computers and the OS to run on it.
    1. Gervs's Avatar
      Gervs -
      In the PC market the headline is correct but smartphones? How can Ballmer say that with a straight face when apple has 10x mircosofts phone market share (in the US)? How can the audience listen to this without bursting out laughing, then going "oh wait, your being serious, let us laugh harder!" (Borrowed from futurama). Also if apples PC market share has outgrown the market (as the article states) then surely more consumers are switching from windows to mac than the other way round. But we, like Ballmer,will ignore this.

      I don't agree with the way apple (sometimes) treats its customers but I will admit that it is immensely successful and a brand that people desire and even aspire towards, even though they have to pay more for hardware compared to windows. But windows is more of something your "born into" (not only business users but personal ones as well) i.e "I've always used a windows pc, so I'll just stick to that next time I need to upgrade my hardware." There isn't that "fashion accessory" aspect to it, even though Microsoft is desperately trying to generate that with its surface tablets.
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      You know, I like Apple and Microsoft but I CAN NOT STAND that man. Just the look of him makes me want to bash his head in. Is that wrong?
    1. Gervs's Avatar
      Gervs -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      ...I CAN NOT STAND that man. Just the look of him makes me want to bash his head in. Is that wrong?
      Yes it is wrong because you have a slim defence against a murder/assault charge. But waiting in your idling car for him to step out on to the road is a whole different story😏.

      Seriously though, I haven't like this guy since I read a story (many years ago) that he was walking through a communal area at MS, when he noticed 1 of his employees with an iPhone, Ballmer playful snatched it out of their hand, placed it on the ground and symbolically stepped on it (without causing damage) all other employees who witnessed this either started applauding or laughing (I forget which it was). Perhaps this is where the idea for the "surface skateboard" came from😏.

      Many years down the line and not only has apple crushed MS under it's soles (in terms of smartphones) but it has wiped them off and flushed the paper towel down the toilet.
    1. Norb's Avatar
      Norb -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
      You know, I like Apple and Microsoft but I CAN NOT STAND that man. Just the look of him makes me want to bash his head in. Is that wrong?
      No sir, I'm on the same boat. I dunno what it is about him but he just seems like a savage that doesn't belong anywhere near any kind of technology.

      DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DELVELOPERS
    1. John Cusimano's Avatar
      John Cusimano -
      Didnt it use to cost like 300 bucks to upgrade windows?

      Now its like 50.

      What a dumb comment he made.. almost like how he said apple would never sell iphones
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      This man cares about the DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS and that's all that matters!!!!
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      This guy is on drugs or something...OMG. It's not even worthy of further comments....
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Apple nearly owns 14% of the US market share for PC's, BMW owns about the same in their respected market. So what's your point?
    1. cmay227's Avatar
      cmay227 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      Here we go again???? Comparing Apples to oranges lol pun intended! ;-) can't compare Windows to OSX! Have 10-15 manufactures making 10-15 model each all running windows and 1 making the computers and the OS to run on it.

      What are you smokin?
      OSX=operating system
      WIN 8= operating system

      Just because windows are on hp,dell,sony, etc
      does not change the fact that both are OS's. and microsoft is wiping the floor with apple in that dept.
      At the rate apple is taking market share in the world of computers ,in about 20 yrs they maybe be at around 26%...maybe
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      I dont care what Apple is or isn't... I buy their stuff. End of story.

      Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
      Apple nearly owns 14% of the US market share for PC's, BMW owns about the same in their respected market. So what's your point?
      Excellent point and comparison.
    1. Modding life's Avatar
      Modding life -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
      What are you smokin?
      OSX=operating system
      WIN 8= operating system

      Just because windows are on hp,dell,sony, etc
      does not change the fact that both are OS's. and microsoft is wiping the floor with apple in that dept.
      At the rate apple is taking market share in the world of computers ,in about 20 yrs they maybe be at around 26%...maybe
      what are you smoking apple market share has been than Microsoft market share at least until iPad mini came out but that will change

      Quote Originally Posted by modding life View Post
      what are you smoking apple market share has been better than microsoft market share at least until ipad mini came out but that will change
      lol
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
      Apple nearly owns 14% of the US market share for PC's, BMW owns about the same in their respected market. So what's your point?
      It makes what OP says true, iOS is low volume when compared to MS.

      Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
      Excellent point and comparison.
      Since it is basically MS vs iOS and MS owns most of the market shares, that means MS is Astin Martin + Rolls Royce + Bentley + Lamborghini + Porche + etc etc Still want to drive a BMW?
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      It makes what OP says true, iOS is low volume when compared to MS.



      Since it is basically MS vs iOS and MS owns most of the market shares, that means MS is Astin Martin + Rolls Royce + Bentley + Lamborghini + Porche + etc etc Still want to drive a BMW?
      You are terribly wrong..the rest of the market is flooded with Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia so yes I do still want to drive a BMW.
    1. Tperry's Avatar
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
      You are terribly wrong..the rest of the market is flooded with Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia so yes I do still want to drive a BMW.
      Keep your low end BMW. I will take the Bugatti in the corner please.
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
      Keep your low end BMW. I will take the Bugatti in the corner please.
      Because Bugatti owns less then 1% of the market share. Please do tell me how this has anything to do with market share? I was making a comparison to BMW owning about the same amount in their market as Mac does in theirs. The rest of the market in PC's would respectfully be windows which = Kia, Hyundai and Toyota in the automotive market. But I guess it's always nice to dream.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
      What are you smokin?
      OSX=operating system
      WIN 8= operating system

      Just because windows are on hp,dell,sony, etc
      does not change the fact that both are OS's. and microsoft is wiping the floor with apple in that dept.
      At the rate apple is taking market share in the world of computers ,in about 20 yrs they maybe be at around 26%...maybe
      The point is those sales are completely different. Apple does NOT license software. They make full profit off the devices sold. Windows however makes a lot less money off of every computer sold. If mac was licensed i can guarantee they would sell 3-5 times as many products. please keep your uneducated comments off if you are going to criticize someones opinion.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Facts are facts:
      OSX is low-volume compared to Windows. It also costs 2-4 times as much for OSX. You pay for what you get....

      In 3-5 yrs, OSX and its complimentary hardware will be running like a champ. Hardware w/ Windows will be obsolete and at the end of its life.

      I used to go the cheaper, Windows route till I got tired of wasting my money and my time on computers that I knew were gonna suck in a few years.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Facts are facts:
      OSX is low-volume compared to Windows. It also costs 2-4 times as much for OSX. You pay for what you get....

      In 3-5 yrs, OSX and its complimentary hardware will be running like a champ. Hardware w/ Windows will be obsolete and at the end of its life.

      I used to go the cheaper, Windows route till I got tired of wasting my money and my time on computers that I knew were gonna suck in a few years.
      If you spent the same amount of money on a computer running Windows that you would on an Mac, your computer would be just as good and more likely, better than the Mac.