• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Phil Schiller Boasts About Mac's Bravado


    Why is the Mac taking PCs to the proverbial woodshed? According to Apple's global marketing chief Phil Schiller, it's because Apple has had the bravado to do what the PC industry is still "afraid" to do. That's according to what Schiller said to Time magazine this week after unveiling the new Macs and iPads.

    I began by asking him about the streamlining of Mac hardware that’s been going on for years now. Apple has put its computers into unibody cases, sealed in the batteries, removed the optical drives, dumped hard disks when possible and either shrunk or eliminated many once-standard connectors. Rather than adding new features with abandon, as tech companies usually do, it’s whittled the Mac down to its elegant essence.
    Schiller says that by bucking old-school technologies and ways of building computers, the Mac was able to find its bearings as a cutting edge device for the tech savvy modern consumer.

    “This is what Apple has always been about, and the Mac has been about, from the first Mac and first iMac,” Schiller said. “It’s always been about making the best Mac we know how. Among the many benefits are making it easy to use and affordable, with great features. This high level of integration is part of delivering on that.”

    “These old technologies are holding us back,” he concluded. “They’re anchors on where we want to go... We find the things that have outlived their useful purpose. Our competitors are afraid to remove them. We try to find better solutions — our customers have given us a lot of trust.”

    To read the full interview with Schiller (and please note how he danced around the question of what he thinks of Microsoft's Surface tablet), click here.

    Source: Time
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Phil Schiller Boasts About Mac's Bravado started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Balls
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Phil...
      On Apple.com today, the least expensive Mac PRO is $2499!
      I can build a PC WITH INTEL I 7 that will wipe that Mac's butt for under $1000.
    1. moribo's Avatar
      moribo -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Phil...
      On Apple.com today, the least expensive Mac PRO is $2499!
      I can build a PC WITH INTEL I 7 that will wipe that Mac's butt for under $1000.
      Yeah until you install Windows lol
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
      Yeah until you install Windows lol
      Nice
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Phil...
      On Apple.com today, the least expensive Mac PRO is $2499!
      I can build a PC WITH INTEL I 7 that will wipe that Mac's butt for under $1000.
      And for many people don't want to deal with finding correct drivers and other items such as making sure things work ok together or various other things. Most nowadays just want to get a decent built computer that just works. As in the OS is built exactly for the hardware.

      But yes there are people that can build a machine for cheaper and be happy with it.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      My left nut has more Bravado than any Mac.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      That's nice.
    1. shigh's Avatar
      shigh -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      My left nut has more Bravado than any Mac.
      A shame its too small to notice.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      My left nut has more Bravado than any Mac.
      Wow...ur like a god or something...😒

      How's ur left nut compare to ur Android devices?!?!
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
      Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Phil...
      On Apple.com today, the least expensive Mac PRO is $2499!
      I can build a PC WITH INTEL I 7 that will wipe that Mac's butt for under $1000.
      Agreed, the exact reason I'm not an apple computer fan. Others will go on about "unibody" ect ect. Sorry, unibody isn't worth 1500 plus dollars IMHO

      As far as some talking smack about windows... I've NEVER had an issue with any windows machine I've bought or built. Never had a crash/virus/blue screen of death ect ect. Not sure what all the people that do have issues are doing or not doing with their computer but I still have a p3 800mhz dell that I bought in 1999 that is running just fine.
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Agreed, the exact reason I'm not an apple computer fan. Others will go on about "unibody" ect ect. Sorry, unibody isn't worth 1500 plus dollars IMHO

      As far as some talking smack about windows... I've NEVER had an issue with any windows machine I've bought or built. Never had a crash/virus/blue screen of death ect ect. Not sure what all the people that do have issues are doing or not doing with their computer but I still have a p3 800mhz dell that I bought in 1999 that is running just fine.
      Not possible! You may not have had the blue screen, or a virus, but there is no way you have been running windows for that long without issues.
    1. Gamemaster77's Avatar
      Gamemaster77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      And for many people don't want to deal with finding correct drivers and other items such as making sure things work ok together or various other things. Most nowadays just want to get a decent built computer that just works. As in the OS is built exactly for the hardware.

      But yes there are people that can build a machine for cheaper and be happy with it.
      How about this? I can buy a prebuilt laptop that slaps the macbook pro in the face for under $1000 dollars that comes with everything it needs.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      How about this? I can buy a prebuilt laptop that slaps the macbook pro in the face for under $1000 dollars that comes with everything it needs.
      You go right ahead now Stewart ya hear?
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
      How about this? I can buy a prebuilt laptop that slaps the macbook pro in the face for under $1000 dollars that comes with everything it needs.
      Maybe you can, but having owned several PC's over the years myself, I would rather pay the premium for a MPB. The performance and reliability I have had from the MacBooks pros I own is well worth the price. And, when my MBP is still kicking it 5 years from now, and the resale value is still at least 50% of what I paid, your $1000 POS will be worth 50 bucks on Craigslist, and chances are you have already spend another "X" amount of dollars on another machine that as you say "comes with everything it needs." Sometimes it's just a smart idea to pay a premium. Unfortunately not every realizes that. My mentality is spend the money once and get it right the first time because spending the money twice is just ridiculous.
    1. ChicagoV's Avatar
      ChicagoV -
      Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
      Not possible! You may not have had the blue screen, or a virus, but there is no way you have been running windows for that long without issues.
      Entirely possible... define "problems"
    1. Ambi_Valence's Avatar
      Ambi_Valence -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Agreed, the exact reason I'm not an apple computer fan. Others will go on about "unibody" ect ect. Sorry, unibody isn't worth 1500 plus dollars IMHO

      As far as some talking smack about windows... I've NEVER had an issue with any windows machine I've bought or built. Never had a crash/virus/blue screen of death ect ect. Not sure what all the people that do have issues are doing or not doing with their computer but I still have a p3 800mhz dell that I bought in 1999 that is running just fine.
      Oh please, I bet you own something branded that's virtually identical to an unbranded one becasue it was made in the same sweatshop.
      Ever hanker after a Ferrari, Bentley or such like? Same story here. You can build your own for half the money. But it won't look and feel half as good.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Agreed, the exact reason I'm not an apple computer fan. Others will go on about "unibody" ect ect. Sorry, unibody isn't worth 1500 plus dollars IMHO

      As far as some talking smack about windows... I've NEVER had an issue with any windows machine I've bought or built. Never had a crash/virus/blue screen of death ect ect. Not sure what all the people that do have issues are doing or not doing with their computer but I still have a p3 800mhz dell that I bought in 1999 that is running just fine.
      I was just reading the comments
      here without make a comment but you just made me do it... So Bill Gates was the first one to have the blue screen of death and you are telling me yo never had an issueTHAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      An iMac or Macbook Pro may be 50%+ more expensive than custom built laptop/desktop PC but there are a few factors being ignored here...


      • Setting Up - WE on a tech forum may be able to build a powerful computer with just the raw components but that is a rather small minority of the population; some people have very little knowledge in such a field so a prepackaged computer with very little mess and configuration is a more ideal solution.

      • Style - Admit it, Apples products look good and in today's world, looking good is a price that many people are willing to pay.

      • The OS - Hardware is only half of the equation, a good hardware configuration will also need a good software configuration and Windows still feels very incomplete. I personally prefer using Windows because I'm accustomed to it but I must admit that OSX is much more reliable, innovative, clean and user-friendly.
      • The Economics - The Mac family may be more expensive but it also maintains its value for longer and it's speed and durability meaning you're getting more value for money and after three years (the average time that a person owns a computer before upgrading), you could still probably sell it for more than the cost of your i7 custom computers at the time of purchase. Additionally, is it really all that economical to spend a thousand dollars on the best hardware available and then install Windows, obtain hundreds of viruses and then slow it down to the point where it's half the speed and therefore half the value?

      • Branding - Market research shows that a leading brand in it's respective market can charge, on average, 20% for its products without reducing demand; any higher and demand may fall where as any lower and the brands reputation may be damaged. I mean, you're willing to pay that extra 20% for Heinz beans, Starbucks/Nescafe coffee and Kellogg's cereal right? Furthermore, Apple is in a slightly different position here as they have the most valuable brand in the world, not just a single market or industry.


      There are many factors involved in such a debate but I think it comes down to the consumer demographic... If you're a savvy computer geek like myself who loves to tinker with the hardware, software and push the machine to it's limits for needs that are beyond the average computer then it's probably a better option to build a custom computer specifically for those needs and install Windows or Ubuntu.

      However, if you're just searching for a simple computer that allows you to fulfil all the daily home, work or college requirements that's easy to use and maintain then it's definitely worth saving up a little more and buying a Mac.

      Just my two cents.
    1. nealh's Avatar
      nealh -
      I have a win7 machine and iMac 21.5.
      I am not a fan of OSX, I find Win7 works like a charm. Nothing incomplete about it, OSX is not easier to use in anyway.

      Win7 is extremely stable and reliable. The iMac is no better in this regard.

      If you don't use both daily, there is no way you say one is better or worse.

      iMac is fortunate regarding viruses simply because there are less written for iMac.

      I run MS antivirus program and do not open dangerous emails or websites. I have had no virus issues.

      No reason to bash the Win7 based machine. They do not look as sleek but they have much greater flexibility.
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
      Not possible! You may not have had the blue screen, or a virus, but there is no way you have been running windows for that long without issues.
      I have and never had any major issues. Had more issues with my Mac than with my pc