• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AttachmentSaver Comes to iPad
    AttachmentSaver is Youssef Francis' extension to... save attachments... from Mail.app to your jailbroken iDevice. It's been out over a year or so, and we just pushed an update from Francis which adds iPad support. The extension runs $1.99, and works beautifully on iPad as well as iPhone.

    Tap a file from Mail.app, and you'll get a popup which asks to save the file or view it. Files are saved to /var/mobile/Library/Attachments. Similar to how Safari Download Manager works from within Safari (which is also being worked on, and should be out in the next couple weeks with iPad support).

    Combine this with something like iFile or AirSharing Pro (if you prefer an AppStore app), and your iPad is getting close to an actual computer.







    This article was originally published in forum thread: AttachmentSaver Comes to iPad started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. headcheese's Avatar
      headcheese -
      Sweet!
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Thats great! Now I need SDM!
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Cool!
    1. adrian1480's Avatar
      adrian1480 -
      iPad is now delivering...
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Ooooo! An awesome extension for the iPad!
    1. CMOSlabs's Avatar
      CMOSlabs -
      I'd buy that for a dollar.
      More power Scotty !!
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      How did I NOT know this existed for iPhone? Where the hell have I been? Who knew iPad updates would turn me on to things I didn't yet have on my phone?
    1. Pavidus's Avatar
      Pavidus -
      Did not work for me. There is no option to save the attachment in mail.app. I have Pages, Keynote, Numbers and Goodreader installed and mail only offers me the option to open with any of the above programs.

      Anyone having similar problem?
    1. Amraam's Avatar
      Amraam -
      I find it rediculous that you can't save attachments on the standard device. I mean it's essentially laptop/PC so why limit the user to just viewing attachments in the mail app?
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Just wondering, are there any differences between this an the iPhone one?
    1. madpoet's Avatar
      madpoet -
      Not working for me either... never get an option to save.
    1. fyrmed2's Avatar
      fyrmed2 -
      Doesn't work for my iPad either!
    1. cypherpunk's Avatar
      cypherpunk -
      Just one thing - why in heaven's name doesn't the iPad include this feature by default!? It seems like such a no-brainer that I really have to question the competence of some of Apple's employees.
    1. PlatoTheForms's Avatar
      PlatoTheForms -
      Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
      Just one thing - why in heaven's name doesn't the iPad include this feature by default!? It seems like such a no-brainer that I really have to question the competence of some of Apple's employees.
      hmmmm...let's see here...Why wouldn't Apple allow users to save e-mail attachments to their devices?...ok, so where else do we see saving e-mail attachments as a risk? why is does Apple never give access to root directory? hmmmmm lol

      i think it's because of secu...ooooooo
    1. cypherpunk's Avatar
      cypherpunk -
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
      hmmmm...let's see here...Why wouldn't Apple allow users to save e-mail attachments to their devices?...ok, so where else do we see saving e-mail attachments as a risk? why is does Apple never give access to root directory? hmmmmm lol

      i think it's because of secu...ooooooo
      Root directory IS a potential security risk if the user is a moron (which let's face it, most users are). And yes, it's true that most malware spreads through email attachments.

      However, there's two things wrong with what you're saying: firstly, malicious email attachments alone pose absolutely no threat if they have no access to system files, and secondly, whatever exploit it uses will run when the file it opened - it doesn't matter whether you save it or not.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      i love this tweek
    1. PlatoTheForms's Avatar
      PlatoTheForms -
      Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
      whatever exploit it uses will run when the file it opened - it doesn't matter whether you save it or not.
      ok so I will save it and not open it? ever?...
    1. cypherpunk's Avatar
      cypherpunk -
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
      ok so I will save it and not open it? ever?...
      You've misunderstood me. The iPad's mail app ALLOWS you to open attachments, just not to save them - my point is that if a file contains an exploit, it makes no difference whether you're opening a saved copy or a copy you've just received from the mail server, the exploit will run in either case.

      I.e. not allowing people to save files does absolutely nothing for security, and is probably down to sheer laziness.
    1. PlatoTheForms's Avatar
      PlatoTheForms -
      Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
      it makes no difference whether you're opening a saved copy or a copy you've just received from the mail server, the exploit will run in either case.

      I.e. not allowing people to save files does absolutely nothing for security, and is probably down to sheer laziness.
      Apple limits the type of files that can be opened (unless you're jailbroken). For example, ".zip" files cannot be opened, so why would you want to save them? I've yet to hear news of an iphone being hacked by opening a .docx or .ppt file. If it has happened, please let me know.
    1. gary86's Avatar
      gary86 -
      once you save an attachement to the iPad where do you go to find it to re-open?