• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Schiller Staunchly Defends iPad Mini Price Tag


    Although the rumor mill was right about Apple developing an iPad mini, most were flat out wrong about the price tag that is coming with the pint-sized iPad.

    On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the ultra slender device with a 7.9" display. But the grand reveal came with a bit of an unexpected sticker shock. As MMi reported yesterday, the new iPad mini starts at $329 for the Wi-Fi only, 16 GB model. The cellular version, of course, is more at $459.

    The low-end scale of price estimates had the iPad mini costing somewhere between $199 and $249, although many analysts thought the device would be priced at $299 as we approached Tuesday's media event. The $329 price tag caught most by surprise, although Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has gone public to staunchly defend the cost of the tablet.

    "The iPad is far and away the most successful product in its category," Schiller tells Reuters. "The most affordable product we've made so far was $399 and people were choosing that over those devices." According to the Apple executive who unveiled the iPad mini yesterday, consumers are willing to pay for a premium product and shouldn't expect anything called an iPad to play a pricing war with inferior products.

    "And now you can get a device that's even more affordable at $329 in this great new form, and I think a lot of customers are going to be very excited about that," Schiller concluded. "Others have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad and they've failed miserably," he said yesterday.

    Source: Reuters
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Schiller Staunchly Defends iPad Mini Price Tag started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. k.nitsua's Avatar
      k.nitsua -
      I agree with the price tag. Also leaves a nice $80 price cut for when this becomes last year's model and is still sold alongside the next generation.
    1. RokeSmoreMeefer's Avatar
      RokeSmoreMeefer -
      Frankly, I think the iPad Mini's price point is spot-on considering the ridiculous price of the iPad to begin with. Every version of the Mini is exactly $170 less than its 10" counterpart. If you're already into getting raped by Apple's high prices on EVERYTHING, then $170 off of a $499 price tag for a screen just 2 inches smaller should make your rear not hurt as bad.

      Shut up and stop complaining. All you idiots that keep paying Apple's ridiculous prices are the direct cause of this. If it wasn't for my company buying me every Apple product I own, then the only Apple product I'd own would be my Apple TV, the only Apple product that is worth its price.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Everyone I speak to wont be getting one, If they want an iPad they get an iPad. If they want something smaller they get an iPod.
      Its priced too high to be any competition to other 7inch tablets so its a flop even before its available.
      If they really wanted it to be popular they should've had it at a lower price. At that price it will be the last tablet people will buy.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      iPad Mini Retina Display coming in 6 months LOL
    1. Breezer23's Avatar
      Breezer23 -
      I don't much care for the price point given it's mediocre specs. Yes, specs aren't everything, but 512MB's of RAM is a huge letdown. Games that are going to push this thing to the max are going to be starving for RAM.

      I'd really like to see some new (useful) features come to iOS. It's getting a bit stale and blackberrish.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      I think they should have tried launch at $299. It would have given it such a boost and ended up in millions of kid's stockings for Christmas
    1. RoloDiva13's Avatar
      RoloDiva13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Everyone I speak to wont be getting one, If they want an iPad they get an iPad. If they want something smaller they get an iPod.
      Its priced too high to be any competition to other 7inch tablets so its a flop even before its available.
      If they really wanted it to be popular they should've had it at a lower price. At that price it will be the last tablet people will buy.
      Yeah, i was hearing this around the office, too, for the most part (only 1 person admitted to planning to get one or even wanting it). However, it won't surprise me at all if the same folks that are currently saying "No, thanks" today will be whipping one out of their pockets by Christmas. Wasn't there a concensus similar to this when the original iPad debuted (and then proceeded to sell like gangbusters)?
    1. anekin007's Avatar
      anekin007 -
      First the iPod touch Price was raised to $299 and now a IPad mini is priced at 329. Tim your ******* up. When Steve was here he was able to lower the iPod touch down to $199. Now tim raised it to 299. I don't think they will move much.
    1. AdonisBlue's Avatar
      AdonisBlue -
      The price /vs value for my money says I'm not buying one. I'll wait patiently for the next version.
    1. Smeggy1234's Avatar
      Smeggy1234 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RokeSmoreMeefer View Post
      Frankly, I think the iPad Mini's price point is spot-on considering the ridiculous price of the iPad to begin with. Every version of the Mini is exactly $170 less than its 10" counterpart. If you're already into getting raped by Apple's high prices on EVERYTHING, then $170 off of a $499 price tag for a screen just 2 inches smaller should make your rear not hurt as bad.

      Shut up and stop complaining. All you idiots that keep paying Apple's ridiculous prices are the direct cause of this. If it wasn't for my company buying me every Apple product I own, then the only Apple product I'd own would be my Apple TV, the only Apple product that is worth its price.

      I completely disagree with your arrogant views. Your just a cheap eejit.
      For what you get is a damn good price. Enjoy your other useless tablets for a cheaper price. You get what you pay for
    1. Italia411's Avatar
      Italia411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      iPad Mini Retina Display coming in 6 months LOL
      +1
      Then in six months this model will be outdated
    1. Soldierboykillm's Avatar
      Soldierboykillm -
      Are people really complainin about $30??
    1. Truckinlow's Avatar
      Truckinlow -
      the main problem i see with the ipad mini is that people can get a different tablet the same size for cheaper and get a higher resolution display than what the mini offers. this is the reason i think it fails but thats just me. why take a step back from retina in a new product just to offer it in the next upgrade?
    1. RokeSmoreMeefer's Avatar
      RokeSmoreMeefer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy1234 View Post
      I completely disagree with your arrogant views. Your just a cheap eejit.
      For what you get is a damn good price. Enjoy your other useless tablets for a cheaper price. You get what you pay for
      Indeed, I do get what I pay for. You, on the other hand, don't. Call me arrogant and cheap all you want. At the end of the day you're the idiot that overpaid, not me.
    1. Reymago23's Avatar
      Reymago23 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
      I don't much care for the price point given it's mediocre specs. Yes, specs aren't everything, but 512MB's of RAM is a huge letdown. Games that are going to push this thing to the max are going to be starving for RAM.

      I'd really like to see some new (useful) features come to iOS. It's getting a bit stale and blackberrish.
      right!!
      I guess we know Apple's game by now.

      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      iPad Mini Retina Display coming in 6 months LOL
      yeah i think people will be disappointed to see how quickly their iPm is outdated.
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboykillm View Post
      Are people really complainin about $30??
      Exactly. Save that when you buy on Black Friday at bestbuy
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboykillm View Post
      Are people really complainin about $30??
      Yes! There is a retail "Only $299 consumer psychological price barrier" and apple missed it!

      Google and Amazon clearly have an opening especially if they easily out spec the iPad mini at a lower price
      This will be a "miss" and longtime Steve acolytes will say, "see, Steve never wanted a Phablet in the first place." watch...
    1. RusticG64's Avatar
      RusticG64 -
      yeah the price is a little steep(should of been between 250-275 dollars for the base model),but im still buying one since i was going to buy an ipod touch 5thgen for 299 dollars. mainly will be used for entertainment purposes and when i don't want to use my ipad2.i also like the size of the ipad mini for using inn my car.
    1. xFURxBURGERSx's Avatar
      xFURxBURGERSx -
      Its clear that Apple were never going to release a $/200 iPad regardless of its size & memory. If it had the retina display & an A6X chip like the new iPad 4th Gen will do then it would have been pushed to again the more expensive price bracket. iPad Mini's main function seems to be to obviously match the exact iPad 2 specs with a little extra boost in certain areas to make the iPad 2 obsolete. Looking at the Apple site you can't even find the iPad 3 but then again why would you want to buy that when its the same price bracket.
    1. xLastWishx's Avatar
      xLastWishx -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Everyone I speak to wont be getting one, If they want an iPad they get an iPad. If they want something smaller they get an iPod.
      Its priced too high to be any competition to other 7inch tablets so its a flop even before its available.
      If they really wanted it to be popular they should've had it at a lower price. At that price it will be the last tablet people will buy.
      Name one Android tablet that didn't flop.