• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Whack-A-Motion: Nokia Sues Apple, AGAIN


    In the latest round of an increasingly comic legal war, Nokia has yet again sued Apple for allegedly infringing on its patents, this time objecting to technology used in the iPad. The Finnish smartphone giant has already sued Apple twice, and also complained to US federal regulators. Apple, for its part, sued Nokia back and filed its own complaint, but is currently under investigation to determine if it is in fact using Nokia technology without a license.

    According to a company spokesperson, the latest lawsuit is about completely different Nokia patents than those referred to in the company's previous legal assaults. The Nokia technology in dispute here involves methods for improved voice and data transmission that are used in both the iPhone and the iPad. A Statement coming out of company headquarters in Espoo, Finland said that the patented inventions involve "positioning data in applications and innovations in antenna configurations that improve performance and save space, allowing smaller and more compact devices."

    Most observers see the protracted conflict as an effort by Nokia to get Apple to agree to licensing fees, similar to what many other mobile phone makers already pay. Nokia had complained back in October that "Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation," by using wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption inventions that Nokia claims are its own. Apple in response said that Nokia was making unwarranted claims in order to gain information about Apple's intellectual property. Nokia then filed its motion with the International Trade Commission (ITC), claiming all of Apple's products violate its patents, and investigators are now looking into these allegations.

    Interestingly, Nokia filed this latest suit not in Delaware as it had before, but in the rural midwestern state of Wisconsin. According to reports out today, this court is quicker at bringing patent cases to trial than courts in Delaware - home to many US corporations - or in California where Apple's headquarters is located.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Whack-A-Motion: Nokia Sues Apple, AGAIN started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Interesting that they thought to take it to a different state to try to get a faster response.
    1. dennder's Avatar
      dennder -
      patent battles are ridiculous (whatever the sides are).
      Patents were made to protect intellectual property against unfair misuse, not cover technology and make it unavailable to others.

      Whom shall i pay for playing custom-mage guitar? Or whom shall i pay for using smilies? Or maybe even these letters we all use, they were invented by someone too.

      I always wondered who actually profits from this patent battles...
    1. DisneyRicky's Avatar
      DisneyRicky -
      Everyone's mad at Apple! Microsoft, Adobe, and Nokia. Watch...Motorola's next!
    1. RonHC's Avatar
      RonHC -
      lol @ picture
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Nokia is a retarded company. Did you read what the attempted to sue Apple for? It's ridiculous, pretty much every phone does that.

      Best part is, Apple countersued Nokia before, apparently they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Its funny how they think the iPad is some how ripped off of Nokia's patents, actually scratch that, "all" of Apples products. Not to mention that Nokia is not even capable of making products at the level Apple does. I think they are mentally ill to be making such a decision.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Verizon will be next for not allowing it on their network.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Nokia is a retarded company. Did you read what the attempted to sue Apple for? It's ridiculous, pretty much every phone does that.

      Best part is, Apple countersued Nokia before, apparently they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Its funny how they think the iPad is some how ripped off of Nokia's patents, actually scratch that, "all" of Apples products. Not to mention that Nokia is not even capable of making products at the level Apple does. I think they are mentally ill to be making such a decision.
      The thing is every phone company has been paying Nokia to use the patented stuff. Problem was Apple and Nokia could not find an agreement on the payments or Apple didn't like the ones Nokia asked for. That is also why it took so long for Nokia to sue. They had been trying to work it out before.
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      Their "technology" seems pretty vague, and much too general to claim as their own.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
      Verizon will be next for not allowing it on their network.



      The thing is every phone company has been paying Nokia to use the patented stuff. Problem was Apple and Nokia could not find an agreement on the payments or Apple didn't like the ones Nokia asked for. That is also why it took so long for Nokia to sue. They had been trying to work it out before.
      What do you mean "Version will be next for not allowing it on their network?" Are you talking about Apples phone? Or Nokia itself?
      Otherwise ya, their "patents" are general amoung various phones, how can you sue for such a thing? I don't blame Apple at all, why pay when you can countersue ^^.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Was talking about the comment about who's next to sue apple. I was joking.

      Nokia was one of the companies that helped develop and standardize GSM technology. They did most of the work and handle most of the patents involved in making the technology and the use of it.
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      ^Wow, he said VERIZON and your post from an thread before about Google copying the iPhone OS was fail as is your post here.

      Apple don't pay Nokia? It's about time Apple got sued. The problem is that Apple is too greedy and how can Nokia be infringing on Apple's patents, Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work for the past decade.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      ^Wow, he said VERIZON and your post from an thread before about Google copying the iPhone OS was fail as is your post here.

      Apple don't pay Nokia? It's about time Apple got sued. The problem is that Apple is too greedy and how can Nokia be infringing on Apple's patents, Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work for the past decade.
      How was it a fail? They really did copy design and features.
      If you look at the reasons why Apple countersued Nokia, will surprise you. You think Nokia does all the work and didn't copy Apple at all? Look at the statements Apple gave, or should I post that and explain all that here as-well.....?

      What you said about " Nokia came waayyy before the iPhone and nothing's really changed with how Nokia's work"

      Doesn't make any sense, thats like me saying Apples products/designs are COMPLETELY different from every other competitor and have made their own designs without anyone else sayings a thing. And Nokia comes in and tries to sue Apple, and gets countersued. And FYI, Apple countersued with more patent infringements than Nokia did, look here.

      Code:
      http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20091211/apple-countersues-nokia/
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      its apple versus the world and doesnt look to me like the world is gonna win anytime soon. Steve Jobs plays for keeps just ask Adobe lol
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
      its apple versus the world and doesnt look to me like the world is gonna win anytime soon. Steve Jobs plays for keeps just ask Adobe lol
      Lol well said

      But what Apple is doing with Adobe seems quite reasonable, if you compare HTML5 vs flash, HTML5 wins 1000 times over again. Flash on mobile devices is a fail.
    1. BlackDrag0n's Avatar
      BlackDrag0n -
      I wanna play that game so bad

      the one in the picture
    1. cheesehotdog's Avatar
      cheesehotdog -
      They are all jealous! HAHA!
    1. Markanthony3211's Avatar
      Markanthony3211 -
      This is the perfect time to ask yourself "Why can't we all just, get along?" Everyone is trying to take a bite out of the Apple, and then you've got the people who are the worms.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Markanthony3211 View Post
      This is the perfect time to ask yourself "Why can't we all just, get along?" Everyone is trying to take a bite out of the Apple, and then you've got the people who are the worms.
      Literally everyone is after Apple, to kill their devices.
      -Motorola
      -Google
      -HTC
      -Nintendo
      -Nokia
      -Microsoft

      And more, yet, none of them have even gotten close to defeating Apple in anything. [Even suing Apple is a fail] What more to say? iPhone + iTouch +iPad, won't be going down anytime soon.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      thats alot of lawsuits
    1. Pitbull2o08's Avatar
      Pitbull2o08 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Nokia is a retarded company. Did you read what the attempted to sue Apple for? It's ridiculous, pretty much every phone does that.

      Best part is, Apple countersued Nokia before, apparently they didn't learn their lesson the first time. Its funny how they think the iPad is some how ripped off of Nokia's patents, actually scratch that, "all" of Apples products. Not to mention that Nokia is not even capable of making products at the level Apple does. I think they are mentally ill to be making such a decision.
      WRONG! Nokia practically invented the cell phone, and almost all companies that create cellular devices and mobile devices that use GSM (sim) like the iphone and ipad, are required to pay subsidies. That's why nokia sued id october, and why they are now with the ipad, specifically the 3G. it uses GSM technology. Nokia makes amazing phones, they have a phone that's ben out capable of shooting video in 720P HD and has a 12mp cam. They do have amazing phones. N82 is my favorite. but it's apples fault for trying to screw the system and make more money. everyone e lse pays Nokia except Apple. they're a$$holes.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
      patent battles are ridiculous (whatever the sides are).
      Patents were made to protect intellectual property against unfair misuse, not cover technology and make it unavailable to others.

      Whom shall i pay for playing custom-mage guitar? Or whom shall i pay for using smilies? Or maybe even these letters we all use, they were invented by someone too.

      I always wondered who actually profits from this patent battles...
      You only seem to half understand patent laws here (based on your response). The patent law is mainly set in place so "some other guy" cannot go out and make money off of something I came up with without my consent (be that for free, in some sort of contractual agreement, etc.) Assuming the smilies you use are patented, you can bet Google, AOL, and whatever other company you are transmitting the smilies with has been given permission (or maybe not, in which case the rightful owner can sue under the law). As far as the guitar statement, one cannot own a patent for playing the guitar. Even if it could be, it has been around long enough to become public domain. Now if you were reproducing exact replicas of Fender guitars, stamping the Fender name on them and selling them as such, that would be an entirely different story.

      For what it's worth, I agree many patent laws (that catch the eye of the public) tend to get abused. One example is gobbling up any and all patents that I possible can whether I end up using them or not just to keep others from using them without cutting me a paycheck.

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Literally everyone is after Apple, to kill their devices.
      -Motorola
      -Google
      -HTC
      -Nintendo
      -Nokia
      -Microsoft
      Them's the shakes when you play a shady game. By the way, go back and look at Nintendo's deal. I think you have them wrong (as do most people).