• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 85% of New iOS Gamers Quit Playing Games After the First Day


    Many of you may be familiar with the act of downloading almost any iOS game if its free, no matter how dumb it may seem at first. A new study conducted by Playnomics recorded user engagement in free-to-play social games which resulted in the discovery of the fact that 85% of new players in the U.S. never go back to the game after the first day. The study, originally started in March, basically tracked individuals who downloaded free-to-play games and found that after the first day of downloading the game, the majority of individuals had already decided to quit. By September, the study revealed that a whopping 95% of individuals had become inactive.

    Additional information that was discovered by the study revealed that Friday and Saturday ended up being the two biggest days of the week for people to actually spend money on games. It’s a bit ironic at first thought because those are usually the days where people tend to go out and put in the shortest amount of play time on average. It appears that waiting around on friends, family, and loved ones results in time that’s just right to download and play a quick and casual game on the good old iOS device, apparently long enough to not want to play it again as well.

    Personally, iOS games tend to be a bit too casual for my liking although not everyone feels the same way. Do you find yourself to fall under the same category classified by this study?

    Source: GamesIndustry via Cult of Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 85% of New iOS Gamers Quit Playing Games After the First Day started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      Did it take into account people who downloaded the free game then liked it so bought the paid versions??
      How would I know?
    1. Xx_Illusions_xX's Avatar
      Xx_Illusions_xX -
      The only free game I play is mytown 2 and I've been playing it for two months!
    1. sfath1975's Avatar
      sfath1975 -
      #1 reason is on android 99% of games are free some aren't as good but they are free also music is free like Frostwire and many others this is why I keep my Evo and use it for wifi so I can play free games and downloads music then just transfer music
    1. sheon's Avatar
      sheon -
      Same here the only really game i ever got into was order and chaos online idk i just cant get into touch controlls
    1. andsoitgoes's Avatar
      andsoitgoes -
      I'm not offended, you're simply wrong. While MANY iOS games don't have significant depth, there are quite a few that do, often times those are ported from a different system, but they are on this platform and for the sake of your argument, it proves you are wrong.

      And there are many an iOS game developed for the platform that have a fair bit of depth, but the entire platform is built on the casual mentality, it's made for pick up and play immediacy.

      But games like Waking Mars, Sword and Sworcery, Junk Jack, Dungeon Raid are filled with depth, they're better than many a console game. And don't even get me started on the huge collection of board/card games that have insane depth and staying power for many people.

      Just because you don't like iOS gaming and think it has no depth for YOU doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

      iOS gaming is only for kids if that's the mentality you enter in with. For the rest of us, we are incredibly satisfied with what we get for what we pay. The fact that you're pitting games that cost an average of a dollar against console games with budgets in the multiple millions that cost 60 times as much. There is brilliance on every platform, you just have to be willing, and smart enough, to actually LOOK.











      Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
      People, let's get serious here. IOS games are dull, stupid........ name it as you wish.
      Serious games can be played only on PC or MAC platform.
      When I just think of Lara Croft or Home World and similar........ that's gaming ....
      IOS games are just for kids.
      Sorry if anyone get's offended with my statement
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      I really dont like how we cant test out a game then decide to buy it and if its worth playing then its worth buying ill buy it.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      iOS games will always be less than PC or Mac.
      What you can do on iOS you can do better on PC.
      iOS games is for people trying to pass the time, waiting in line or got nothing to do.
      My iPhone and iPad nev gets any use when ever I am near a computer.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
      Ok.. Click on the article and read the rest of it..



      He meant the title. Because if you were just to read the title you would interpret a different meaning.
    1. faizanshakyboy's Avatar
      faizanshakyboy -
      Yeah I do that too. That's because I'm looking for a game that will last and I still haven't found one. CSR racing is more than a day.

      I can't say I'm part of that percentage, which oddly seems a bit large.
      Anyone who can spare the cash for it try The World Ends With You doesn't seem like a game you can put down easily.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      I have four free games that I have kept longer than a few hours, although should a fremium game be classed as free? -

      Tapped out.
      Indestructible.
      CSR Racing.
      Cytus.

      Recommend them all.

      I've kept other free games but once completed they get deleted.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Thats why I went for the 64GB iPad as it holds the most.
      I got heaps of games on mine that are either not even started or not finished.
      The main reason is the stupid controls. I've been using a controller for so long and touch screens are just not good enough for games as you need to feel the controls not look at them, then look at where you are in the game then back to the controls.
      If there were hardware buttons then it would be heaps better but as its all touch screen thats the downside of games on the iPad.

      Now, back to gaming on the PS3 with a real controller.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      iOS games will always be less than PC or Mac.
      What you can do on iOS you can do better on PC.
      iOS games is for people trying to pass the time, waiting in line or got nothing to do.
      My iPhone and iPad nev gets any use when ever I am near a computer.
      Depends what kind of game.

      Gameloft has a whole lineup of console-quality games that you can sit down and play at home for days and include online multiplayer.

      Note that when I say console quality I'm not saying the graphics are necessarily on par (even though the iPhone 5 is capable of "console-quality" graphics according to the iPhone 5 keynote), but it includes a lengthy campaign mode, challenges, missions, online multiplayer, and most of those goodies you'll find in a console game.

      Can games look better on a PC or Mac? Probably. The GPU in a computer will probably always be better than a mobile device, so it will always feel much more realistic. Controls will be preferred by some with a game controller or a keyboard, while others may like using the touch screen.

      I've felt like I was a part of the game playing Modern Combat 3 on my iPhone and it felt almost the same way I did when I played Modern Warfare on my computer. That being said, I wouldn't bash on the quality of iOS games. They have come a long way.
    1. qbnucca's Avatar
      qbnucca -
      When apple come out with a remote control for video games that will change fast. Don't see why in 5 years they haven't done this yet.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by qbnucca View Post
      When apple come out with a remote control for video games that will change fast. Don't see why in 5 years they haven't done this yet.
      Prolly cuz these iDevices aren't Video Game consoles!!!
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Thats why I went for the 64GB iPad as it holds the most.
      I got heaps of games on mine that are either not even started or not finished.
      The main reason is the stupid controls. I've been using a controller for so long and touch screens are just not good enough for games as you need to feel the controls not look at them, then look at where you are in the game then back to the controls.
      If there were hardware buttons then it would be heaps better but as its all touch screen thats the downside of games on the iPad.

      Now, back to gaming on the PS3 with a real controller.
      I am with you on controls. I see plenty of decent looking games for iOS but don't care for them because the controls suck. Touch screen was not meant to handle RPGs or various other games where the directional pad is on a touch screen. (At least for “everyday” gamers)

      Touch screens work if implemented correctly for the game; or implemented along with hardware controls.. I got a PS Vita and like when they use the touch screen properly but for most part controls are still handled by the physical buttons and controls. But I been gaming for a very long time and prefer physical controllers a lot more than touch controls.

      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Prolly cuz these iDevices aren't Video Game consoles!!!
      Correct. For most part they are mobile devices and most games are for the quick play moments you get throughout the day. There are some long games for iOS.
    1. PatrickGSR94's Avatar
      PatrickGSR94 -
      I'm included in that statistic, even with the paid games! I have 3, count 'em THREE folders full of games on my 3GS, some free and some paid, and I haven't played a one of them in probably months. For awhile I was hooked on Angry Birds like half the rest of the world lol, and I also played Cut The Rope, Bejeweled 2, Labyrinth 2, and Electric Box a ton there for awhile. Tried Doodle Jump but it was never as addictive as people said it was. I don't have any RPG games as I've just never been into that sort of gaming.

      Lately I just haven't played any games at all, on any platform. Life getting in the way I guess. In my free time I'm usually out cycling.
    1. qbnucca's Avatar
      qbnucca -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      I am with you on controls. I see plenty of decent looking games for iOS but don't care for them because the controls suck. Touch screen was not meant to handle RPGs or various other games where the directional pad is on a touch screen. (At least for “everyday” gamers)

      Touch screens work if implemented correctly for the game; or implemented along with hardware controls.. I got a PS Vita and like when they use the touch screen properly but for most part controls are still handled by the physical buttons and controls. But I been gaming for a very long time and prefer physical controllers a lot more than touch controls.



      Correct. For most part they are mobile devices and most games are for the quick play moments you get throughout the day. There are some long games for iOS.
      I completely agree gameloft has great games but the controls suck.
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      I wish all my friends on FB would stop playing social based games as they drive me nuts with play request!
      +1
    1. dimitricus's Avatar
      dimitricus -
      Mobile games are getting more and more advanced. Some are very stupid, but a lot of them already have 3d graphics and so on.
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      I can play FIFA 13 Soccer on my iPhone everyday

      as for free games. Dont play them much I just get the paid versions