• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Comex and Apple Part Ways


    Apple fired Comex, creator of JailbreakMe, for not responding to an email. Seriously.

    The young hacker, and former Apple intern announced via Twitter today he parted ways with Apple after nearly a year as an intern with the company. Forbes followed up with Comex (Nicholas Allegra) and discovered Apple had offered him continued employment at the company as a remote intern.

    “He explained that the email he forgot to answer was an offer to continue his employment at Apple as a remote intern. At Apple, apparently, offer letters are taken rather seriously, and Allegra soon learned that his had been rescinded. "I wasn't too happy about it, but it didn't seem like I was able to fix it," he says. "So that's what it is."

    Comex didn't comment on what he worked on during his two internships at Apple last fall and this past summer, and hinted to Forbes that there was more to his leaving Apple than a missed email. However, his email to Forbes claimed “it wasn’t a bad ending.”

    The split does seem unfortunate for Apple considering the high-praise Comex garnered from those in the security industry and within Apple’s own ranks. Unfortunately for the Jailbreak community it doesn’t appear Comex will return to iOS jailbreaking (JailbreakMe 4 anyone?) as Allegra claims he’s returning to Brown to finish his studies.

    The conditions of Comex’s employment at Apple likely prevents him from any future Jailbreak work. On Apple anyways. A cryptic Tweet sent out by Comex reads “I hear the Wii U is coming out in a month.”

    Watch out Nintendo.

    Source: Forbes
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Comex and Apple Part Ways started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 58 Comments
    1. AdonisBlue's Avatar
      AdonisBlue -
      Just goes to show you can be super smart and yet very dumb at the same time.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Oh please, this was just a Apple playing Comex.

      Comex should have known when Apple hired him and add condition to stop him from jailbreaking, he should read closer and adjust the condition to employment.
      Then he would know to add a condition that he will stop jailbreaking as long as he is in Apple's employment, but will be free to jailbreak once he leaves. Without this Apple can terminate employment and still get what they want.
    1. iPittsburgh's Avatar
      iPittsburgh -
      Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
      Just goes to show you can be super smart and yet very dumb at the same time.
      How does this you that you can be super smart and dumb at the same time? Please explain how? You, like everyone else have no idea why comex and apple parted ways.
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
      Just goes to show you can be super smart and yet very dumb at the same time.
      Yea, I agree. Oh well, maybe someone better got the job. Well, at least someone who responds to emails.
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      Nintendo better watch out. Apple basically has their own version of a Wii U with the AirPlay Mirroring.
    1. The 8th Immortal's Avatar
      The 8th Immortal -
      I don't believe in coincidences. That being said, it seems to be rather good timing (for Apple) that Comex was interning when the 4, 4S and the 5 was released. The 5 has dropped and the same can be said of Comex. Apple played that dude.
      Got what knowledge they could from him in securing the 5 as much as possible. Then dropped him like a bad habit.
      I'm sure he signed some type of clause, as mentioned, that prevents him from jailbreaking (at least publicly). All he has to do is get down like a few others we've all grown to know and love then make that come back. ie Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen, Barry Allen, etc.
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
      Just goes to show you can be super smart and yet very dumb at the same time.
      My exact thoughts.
    1. kraziebone's Avatar
      kraziebone -
      Please come back to us, nobody has to know! We need you now more than ever...
    1. rcm's Avatar
      rcm -
      Right now there hasn't been a more talented hacker of apple than him, he is the only one able to create a jailbreak that didn't need a computer, or even a reboot. Sadly apple got the last laugh in the end as they have made sure there is one less hacker, for ever.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Aww that sucks..
      Just for clarification the emails are taken very seriously at apple.
    1. shahpriyankd's Avatar
      shahpriyankd -
      Hope this helps in getting ios6 jailbreak sooner than later
    1. patrickjmcd's Avatar
      patrickjmcd -
      Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
      Yea, I agree. Oh well, maybe someone better got the job. Well, at least someone who responds to emails.
      Yeah, I probably wouldn't answer an e-mail from my employer who happens to be one of the most profitable companies in the world... They're probably not e-mailing about anything really important... especially during my second internship....

      As a software and electrical engineer who would love to have that job, I'm glad you were terminated from Apple. All you have to do is play along with your employer's games and you'll have an awesome job for life... or just answer them and tell them you want to finish your degree before desiring a full-time job with them. Don't ignore an e-mail from one of the highest grossing companies in the world offering you a job...

      just stupid, but I may be in the minority who actually wants to be an Apple Engineer...
    1. patrickjmcd's Avatar
      patrickjmcd -
      @DloodNreaper you're doing a lot to help. Thanks for the productive response.
    1. TechnoUniversity's Avatar
      TechnoUniversity -
      Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
      Just goes to show you can be super smart and yet very dumb at the same time.
      How is he dude? I forgot to respond to an email. Yes he's so dumb for that.
    1. Snarky Snake's Avatar
      Snarky Snake -
      Womp womp who cares. Galaxy S 3 is the sh*t. Absolutely dominates any iPhone.
    1. Silvio6's Avatar
      Silvio6 -
      Now he has enough money to finish his studies, and a good CV. Well done ;-)
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Oh please, this was just a Apple playing Comex.

      Comex should have known when Apple hired him and add condition to stop him from jailbreaking, he should read closer and adjust the condition to employment.
      Then he would know to add a condition that he will stop jailbreaking as long as he is in Apple's employment, but will be free to jailbreak once he leaves. Without this Apple can terminate employment and still get what they want.
      Yep, Played like a groupie. And what we are watching play out is the leaky walk of shame. Sayin...
    1. kalpesh78's Avatar
      kalpesh78 -
      Quote Originally Posted by shahpriyankd View Post
      Hope this helps in getting ios6 jailbreak sooner than later
      I hope so. Go comex go.
    1. slangg_'s Avatar
      slangg_ -
      Are you guys that slow ?!

      Comex had an Internship with Apple, not a Million Dollar Contract !!

      Do you think Comex is Intelligent enough to crack a smartphone but Dumb enough to Sign an Internship Contract that would prevent him to Jailbreak an Apple device During and After his Internship with Apple ?! Do you really think that ?!?! Maybe that's what YOU would do! Comex ain't stupid or dumb.

      Comex Contractual Agreement ceased when Apple terminated their Contract (yes it was done with both parts).

      For all we know, Comex is already Jailbreaking iPhones ... You really think he would sign something that would prevent him Jailbreaking an Apple device for 2, 3, 5 or 10 years AFTER leaving Apple ?! Man smarten up a little bit!

      "Apple played Comex" well both of them played themselves or you really think he was there clocking his hours and doing assignments and **** ?! Comex now knows A LOT about Apple than any of us do and will use this to His (and ours) Advantage soon .........
    1. cloudxvii's Avatar
      cloudxvii -
      Quote Originally Posted by slangg_ View Post
      Are you guys that slow ?!

      Comex had an Internship with Apple, not a Million Dollar Contract !!

      Do you think Comex is Intelligent enough to crack a smartphone but Dumb enough to Sign an Internship Contract that would prevent him to Jailbreak an Apple device During and After his Internship with Apple ?! Do you really think that ?!?! Maybe that's what YOU would do! Comex ain't stupid or dumb.

      Comex Contractual Agreement ceased when Apple terminated their Contract (yes it was done with both parts).

      For all we know, Comex is already Jailbreaking iPhones ... You really think he would sign something that would prevent him Jailbreaking an Apple device for 2, 3, 5 or 10 years AFTER leaving Apple ?! Man smarten up a little bit!

      "Apple played Comex" well both of them played themselves or you really think he was there clocking his hours and doing assignments and **** ?! Comex now knows A LOT about Apple than any of us do and will use this to His (and ours) Advantage soon .........
      What are you, his mom?
      You seem to talk like you know exactly what's going on.

      Remember to tuck him in tonight.