• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Foxconn Admits to Hiring Underage Interns


    We understand that Foxconnís plants are experiencing issues meeting high iPhone 5 demands, but itís not a proper solution to be hiring underage interns in the attempt to make things go faster and smoother.

    Foxconn has reportedly admitted to hiring underage interns for work. Due to child labor laws in China, an individual must be at least 16 years of age to be working. Results of an internal investigation yielded workers even as young as 14 years of age (uh-oh!). According to Foxconn, schools sent the students as part of an internship program, although the company failed to check their IDs to ensure that they were of legal working age:

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxconn
    These underage interns were mainly sent to Foxconn by schools, but Foxconn did not check the IDs of these young interns. The schools involved in this incident should take primary responsible, but Foxconn is also culpable for not confirming the ages of their workers.
    Foxconn has done the right thing by not only telling the truth and apologizing, but they are also removing the underage workers from the premises and returning them to their schools where they belong. These young, ex-interns will not be interning for Foxconn anymore, but at least they're getting the education they need.

    According to Foxconn, steps will be taken to "ensure that it can never happen again." Hopefully, this is truly the case.

    Sources: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Foxconn Admits to Hiring Underage Interns started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      This is great for Foxconn! Workers they didn't even have to pay, and no blame!
    1. jzhu625's Avatar
      jzhu625 -
      Free workers? wah?
    1. daytonaviolet's Avatar
      daytonaviolet -
      i wonder what other things these underage interns do? is foxconn going to stop that too?
    1. jrrtps's Avatar
      jrrtps -
      this is a price that we have pay to have one Iphone, Ipad, Ipod etc, this is unacceptable!!!!!!
    1. BustAGroove's Avatar
      BustAGroove -
      Maybe with all the drama abroad, Apple *might* consider bringing manufacturing jobs to USA. Cheap labor isn't always worth it.
    1. urkel782's Avatar
      urkel782 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BustAGroove View Post
      Maybe with all the drama abroad, Apple *might* consider bringing manufacturing jobs to USA. Cheap labor isn't always worth it.
      Makes sense to me
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      I hate all this drama. Like there are even labor laws in china. Please change your focus to any factory and youll see that its not just apple with problems..
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by urkel782 View Post
      Makes sense to me
      Yeah, also jack up the price 5 times for an iPhone. That will totally make sense then.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BustAGroove View Post
      Maybe with all the drama abroad, Apple *might* consider bringing manufacturing jobs to USA. Cheap labor isn't always worth it.
      Do you really think Apple actually really cares about the ethics at Foxconn?
    1. Feanor64's Avatar
      Feanor64 -
      sounds like classic case of uh oh we got caught so now we are sorry and oh it will never happen again cmon common sense will tell u they knew exactly how old they were it just got out thats all i live in the u.s and ive been workin since i was 6 everyday after school on a farm and most weekends all day so gimme a break its not like they were sweat shop slaves
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
      I hate all this drama. Like there are even labor laws in china. Please change your focus to any factory and youll see that its not just apple with problems..
      ^^This is filled with absolute fact and common sense
    1. MonsIg74's Avatar
      MonsIg74 -
      Just go across the border (Mexico) and you will find a lot under age people working for sony, samsung, gm, ford, dodge and on and on.
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Quote Originally Posted by BustAGroove View Post
      Maybe with all the drama abroad, Apple *might* consider bringing manufacturing jobs to USA. Cheap labor isn't always worth it.
      I really can't see this happening anytime soon. Firstly, the cost reductions of using Chinese labour when you need hundreds of millions of products manufactured in small time spaces is phenomenal and Apple are already seeing the overall cost for their products rising with each release as they try to improve the quality. Furthermore, removing Samsung from their supply chain could be costly in the short-term, I believe they had mutually beneficial business needs - Samsung are probably the most consistent and reliable manufacturing partner in Apple's supply chain so I can see further problems arise in the future with the companies they use to replaces Samsung's services.

      The truth is, when you're as big and prominent as Apple, you can never be perfect, critics will always find a flaw in the company's ethics and exploit it to the media.

      Also, I don't necessarily agree with child labour but at least they do have jobs and are earning some sort of income. The pressure shouldn't be on Apple or Foxconn but on the governments that allow this to happen.
    1. mmmmganja's Avatar
      mmmmganja -
      I am working in China at the moment (I'm an English service engineer here for a few weeks) and I was chatting to a young electrician in the plant I'm at. He told me he worked at Foxconn for a couple of months whilst still at school . From what I could gather (through my interpreter) it was a bit like the 'work experience' I did when I was still at school, you get sent out to an employer and gain some experience of working life. I think the deal was that the school got paid, so this probably provided the school with extra income for text books etc. Doesn't sound too bad to me
    1. angel_92701's Avatar
      angel_92701 -
      !!!although the company failed to check their IDs to ensure that they were of legal working age:!!!
      Im missing something here,on first place , before you start on any job , you fill an application,correct. the first thing they do, the make copy of you documents.a least Here In usa. is that way.

      Yes
      Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
      I really can't see this happening anytime soon. Firstly, the cost reductions of using Chinese labour when you need hundreds of millions of products manufactured in small time spaces is phenomenal and Apple are already seeing the overall cost for their products rising with each release as they try to improve the quality. Furthermore, removing Samsung from their supply chain could be costly in the short-term, I believe they had mutually beneficial business needs - Samsung are probably the most consistent and reliable manufacturing partner in Apple's supply chain so I can see further problems arise in the future with the companies they use to replaces Samsung's services.

      The truth is, when you're as big and prominent as Apple, you can never be perfect, critics will always find a flaw in the company's ethics and exploit it to the media.

      Also, I don't necessarily agree with child labour but at least they do have jobs and are earning some sort of income. The pressure shouldn't be on Apple or Foxconn but on the governments that allow this to happen.
      Yes
      Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
      I really can't see this happening anytime soon. Firstly, the cost reductions of using Chinese labour when you need hundreds of millions of products manufactured in small time spaces is phenomenal and Apple are already seeing the overall cost for their products rising with each release as they try to improve the quality. Furthermore, removing Samsung from their supply chain could be costly in the short-term, I believe they had mutually beneficial business needs - Samsung are probably the most consistent and reliable manufacturing partner in Apple's supply chain so I can see further problems arise in the future with the companies they use to replaces Samsung's services.

      The truth is, when you're as big and prominent as Apple, you can never be perfect, critics will always find a flaw in the company's ethics and exploit it to the media.

      Also, I don't necessarily agree with child labour but at least they do have jobs and are earning some sort of income. The pressure shouldn't be on Apple or Foxconn but on the governments that allow this to happen.