• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Developers Claim Apple Repeatedly Ignored Warnings and Reports of Maps Problems



    A number of developers spoke to CNET under the guise of anonymity, and claim they repeatedly warned Apple about glaring problems with iOS 6’s Maps app, but their warnings were ignored.

    All of the developers that spoke to CNET have apps currently in the App Store that utilize Apple’s mapping assets to function. Apple issued four different pre-release versions of Maps during iOS 6’s development.

    Originally Posted by :
    "During the beta period I filed bug reports with Apple's Radar system (notorious for being ignored), posted on the forums several times, and emailed multiple people within Apple's MapKit team to voice our concerns." — Anonymous Developer
    With each iteration, it became apparent to the devs that Apple wasn’t doing much if anything to fix the problems many of them explicitly and emphatically pointed out to Apple.

    Originally Posted by :
    "I posted at least one doomsayer rant after each (developer) beta, and I wasn't alone. The mood amongst the developers seemed to be that the maps were so shockingly bad that reporting individual problems was futile. What was needed wasn't so much an interface for reporting a single point as incorrect, but for selecting an entire region and saying 'all of this -- it's wrong.'" — Anonymous Developer
    One developer was able to actually speak with an Apple employee who explained the reported issue was well understood. However, the problem in question continued to show up in later releases. Apple failed to release updates to bug reports and inform developers of fixes or how to deal with ongoing problems.

    Originally Posted by :
    "This has been a frustrating experience for us and we don't care where the imagery comes from, we just would like our customers to be able to have the same experience within our app when they update from iOS 5 to iOS 6. Instead the OS upgrade broke some of the features we built within our application despite being told that only the imagery would be swapped out." — Anonymous Developer
    Source: CNET [via AppleInsider]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Developers Claim Apple Repeatedly Ignored Warnings and Reports of Maps Problems started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
    1. djrbx's Avatar
      djrbx -
      How is this news? Sounds a whole lot like Apple being Apple.
    1. amenter18's Avatar
      amenter18 -
      Appel <--- first paragraph
    1. Hillefied's Avatar
      Hillefied -
      Apple's developer forums and direct reporting services have never been on par with customer (and by that, I mean non-developer) services for us everyday folk. If this keeps going downhill, us everyday folks will definitely have something to say (not positive) about the company's feedback system and demand Apple take responsibility and have accountability to fix the problems.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Apple have never cared about its customers but for it to not care about its devs is a real kick in the nuts for apple fanboys. Its' just proving Apple really dont care about anyone except if you give them money and it still wont care about you but what you give. (Money)

      If Apple did care for its customers or devs then it wouldn't have spent so much suing people and it would've as I keep saying made a better device.

      Again, my words either go on deaf ears or people just dont agree but they all will hear what I say. "Apple as a company SUCK" I do like the iPhone WHEN you jailbreak it. But the way they do business is wrong. I really hope after all this iPhone 5 and IOS 6 crap people start hearing the warnings and stop buying Apple products. WAIT till Apple listen to the people and actually start making better devices then buy them again but the iPhone 5 and updating to IOS 6 is wrong. It's not the way to go.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      I haven't hadI haven't had an Issue with Apples Map @ All. But then again i've only used it for Local stuff then i need to find if i need Directions. I use Co-Pilot when i REALLY need to find things. To Me Google Maps & Apple Maps look the same.
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Apple have never cared about its customers but for it to not care about its devs is a real kick in the nuts for apple fanboys. Its' just proving Apple really dont care about anyone except if you give them money and it still wont care about you but what you give. (Money)

      If Apple did care for its customers or devs then it wouldn't have spent so much suing people and it would've as I keep saying made a better device.

      Again, my words either go on deaf ears or people just dont agree but they all will hear what I say. "Apple as a company SUCK" I do like the iPhone WHEN you jailbreak it. But the way they do business is wrong. I really hope after all this iPhone 5 and IOS 6 crap people start hearing the warnings and stop buying Apple products. WAIT till Apple listen to the people and actually start making better devices then buy them again but the iPhone 5 and updating to IOS 6 is wrong. It's not the way to go.
      You're weird.
    1. HovikGas's Avatar
      HovikGas -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
      You're weird.
      I hate to admit it's kinda true... If people still buy your products, no matter how flawed they may be, then what incentive do you have to improve it? You'll do the bare minimum, nothing more. Apple has figured out the magical recipe of combining just enough hardware improvements with just enough software improvements, sprinkled with a whole lot of sexy/cool factor on top, to keep the masses satisfied.

      We, The Jailbreakers, are the mischief makers constantly wanting more and thinking outside the [Apple] box, but we are so few that we are nothing more than an annoying afterthought for Apple's bottom line. However, if the masses did indeed flex their collective discretion, and restrained from upgrading to iOS 6, or even buying the iPhone 5, the effect on Apple's bottom line could be significant. Then, and only then, would Apple have the motivation to deliver the necessary innovation.

      One day though, I think there will be a rude awakening for Apple, but only time will tell...
    1. Mattme11's Avatar
      Mattme11 -
      The new ios 5 with a great old maping system that covers the world!
      The new ios 6 with a great interface with only usa maps! Where changing the world again!

      Steve jobs was a dreamer and he cared and his customers, he wanted a phone what worked all around the world and where every one had the same stuff and not just stuck in the usa.

      New CEO comes along and says lets think money! And makes the ios **** and makes a iphone that has more things wrong withit than me 4s.

      The iphone 4 ( not 4s ) had only 1 thing wrong with it signal and that was it
    1. HomieG35's Avatar
      HomieG35 -
      Apple really messed up here. Bad.

      I have to use my wife's phone that still uses 5.1.1 to do anything on maps.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mattme11 View Post
      The new ios 5 with a great old maping system that covers the world!
      The new ios 6 with a great interface with only usa maps! Where changing the world again!

      Steve jobs was a dreamer and he cared and his customers, he wanted a phone what worked all around the world and where every one had the same stuff and not just stuck in the usa.

      New CEO comes along and says lets think money! And makes the ios **** and makes a iphone that has more things wrong withit than me 4s.

      The iphone 4 ( not 4s ) had only 1 thing wrong with it signal and that was it
      I think your the dreamer if you think Steve Jobs thought like that. He wanted the iPhone to be a business phone only. He never wanted the public to use it he wanted only business people. He didn't care what the public wanted, he wanted it his way, the gray boring way. the original iPhone has less features than a phone 5 years prior it its release. It was a piece of crap. The 3G wasn't much better. Phones released years before still had better features than it. And when the iPhone 4 came around it was starting to get better but there were other phones in the market that were better. Those phones are still better than the iPhone 5 and they are years old now. Just coz its faster doesn't make it better.
      And with the iPhone 5's screen. Its NOT 16:9 but EVERYTHING thats not Apple IS 16:9. They had the chance to get onto the 16:9 bandwagon and they didn't want to. They wanted to be on their own and thats what they are. Alone and by themselves. Just about every other Tablet out there is 16:9 but Apple are still in the 80's with there 4:3 screens. I've had a 16:9 computer monitor since 2003. My first Tablet was 16:9 and that was years ago. That was the biggest adjustment I had to do when I got my iPad 1 was to get used to the old 4:3 screen.

      Oh, totally off track of what I was going to reply with... Oh yea, Jobs didn't care about customers or anything but what was in his tiny head. He didn't listen to what people wanted in the iPhone and Apple still go the same way Jobs was going. Ignore your customers and tell them what they like instead of making a device they actually want.
    1. georgeD's Avatar
      georgeD -
      Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
      Apple really messed up here. Bad.

      I have to use my wife's phone that still uses 5.1.1 to do anything on maps.
      could you please explain little further, what the issue is? cuz it works great for me though...
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      I have yet to have a problem with iOS 6 maps. Lucky me, I guess.
    1. scottvalentine's Avatar
      scottvalentine -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      And with the iPhone 5's screen. Its NOT 16:9 but EVERYTHING thats not Apple IS 16:9. They had the chance to get onto the 16:9 bandwagon and they didn't want to. They wanted to be on their own and thats what they are. Alone and by themselves. Just about every other Tablet out there is 16:9 but Apple are still in the 80's with there 4:3 screens. I've had a 16:9 computer monitor since 2003. My first Tablet was 16:9 and that was years ago. That was the biggest adjustment I had to do when I got my iPad 1 was to get used to the old 4:3 screen.
      Uh yeah it is.....1136 x 640 is the iPhone 5 resolution, divide by 71 and you get a ratio of 16 x 9.01, how is that not 16x9?
    1. knowram's Avatar
      knowram -
      still don't understand why why the focus seems to be on the satellite and 3d views. Sure they are nice but I would hope they are working on things like public transit directions and traffic first.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      I think your the dreamer if you think Steve Jobs thought like that. He wanted the iPhone to be a business phone only. He never wanted the public to use it he wanted only business people. He didn't care what the public wanted, he wanted it his way, the gray boring way. the original iPhone has less features than a phone 5 years prior it its release. It was a piece of crap. The 3G wasn't much better. Phones released years before still had better features than it. And when the iPhone 4 came around it was starting to get better but there were other phones in the market that were better. Those phones are still better than the iPhone 5 and they are years old now. Just coz its faster doesn't make it better.
      And with the iPhone 5's screen. Its NOT 16:9 but EVERYTHING thats not Apple IS 16:9. They had the chance to get onto the 16:9 bandwagon and they didn't want to. They wanted to be on their own and thats what they are. Alone and by themselves. Just about every other Tablet out there is 16:9 but Apple are still in the 80's with there 4:3 screens. I've had a 16:9 computer monitor since 2003. My first Tablet was 16:9 and that was years ago. That was the biggest adjustment I had to do when I got my iPad 1 was to get used to the old 4:3 screen.

      Oh, totally off track of what I was going to reply with... Oh yea, Jobs didn't care about customers or anything but what was in his tiny head. He didn't listen to what people wanted in the iPhone and Apple still go the same way Jobs was going. Ignore your customers and tell them what they like instead of making a device they actually want.
      iPhone sales numbers alone prove your argument is irrelevant.

      Please restrain yourself from procreating.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Well guys don't act like this is just apple.. All big companies do this..
    1. recognition's Avatar
      recognition -
      I must be pretty lucky to make it to my new job here in the UK so far this week, been using apple maps turn by turn navigation and has got me here on time and even re-routes when I make a mistake.
      For me personally, the maps are fine, therefore I have no issue!
    1. teej1410's Avatar
      teej1410 -
      lol the picture looks funny.
    1. Ruthle$$Turtle's Avatar
      Ruthle$$Turtle -
      mortopher
      x1

      and as far as ios6 maps it works great for me 3d and all i use it everyday. but than i have never had a issue with any of the 6gens of the iphone and mine hits the ground to often (with no case) from a fork truck.
      ya Apple isnt perfect but No one or no company is... but anyone that says they havent made phones let alone many other personal devices better and raise the standards, has just plain lost it or needs to take there MEDs
      just my
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      I've used Maps quite a bit and I've never had any problem. I really like it, it's quicker!