• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's iPad Mini Could Push Holiday iPad Sales Past 30 Million


    If Apple doesn't release a so-called iPad mini before the end of 2012, sales of the touchscreen tablet computer will likely still exceed 21 million units. But if the iPad mini does come, a barnburner could be in store for Apple's final quarter of the year.

    Analyst Amit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets believes Apple could sell more that 30 million iPad units by December 31st if the iPad mini rolls out this month. And from the chatter that continues to emerge out of the Asian supply chain, the likelihood of a new product seems strong.

    "Production of the iPad Mini is said to be underway at Apple’s Asian component suppliers," Wall Street Cheat Sheet reported this morning, picking up on information from the Wall Street Journal. "The company had placed orders for 10 million units of the tablet for the holiday quarter. Apple is rumored to be preparing to launch the device at a media event on October 17, with the expectation that it will be put on sale before the end of the month."

    Based on allegedly leaked images of components and other speculation about the device's pricing, the iPad mini may cost less than half of a regular entry level iPad but deliver many of the same features and connectivity options that we're familiar with through the current larger tablet models.

    Source: Wall Street Cheat Sheet
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's iPad Mini Could Push Holiday iPad Sales Past 30 Million started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      "If Apple doesn't release a so-called iPad mini before the end of 2012, sales of the touchscreen tablet computer will likely still exceed 21 million units. But if the iPad mini does come, a barnburner could be in store for Apple's final quarter of the year"
      So without iPad mini 21 million, with iPad mini would be 30 million.
      By this statement it means 9~10 million in the 4th quarter alone for iPad mini.
      So they expect iPad mini just in the 4th quarter of 2012 to sell better than any of the previous gen iPad can do by themselves which has been selling for years.
      I am not so optimistic on the numbers.
    1. spookster's Avatar
      spookster -
      How likely will it be that Apple will release a new ipad early next year? Not a mini, a normal sized one.
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      "If Apple doesn't release a so-called iPad mini before the end of 2012, sales of the touchscreen tablet computer will likely still exceed 21 million units. But if the iPad mini does come, a barnburner could be in store for Apple's final quarter of the year"
      So without iPad mini 21 million, with iPad mini would be 30 million.
      By this statement it means 9~10 million in the 4th quarter alone for iPad mini.
      So they expect iPad mini just in the 4th quarter of 2013 to sell better than any of the previous gen iPad can do by themselves which has been selling for years.
      I am not so optimistic on the numbers.
      Well, judge that the iPhone 5 was expected to sell 10 million in 3 days, but couldn't do to supply issues. In an entire quarter, apple may be able to pull it off.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by spookster View Post
      How likely will it be that Apple will release a new ipad early next year? Not a mini, a normal sized one.
      Almost a guarantee. iPad 4 March 2012.

      I still don't think Apple are preparing a 7" iPad Model. Especially not for a release before the next iPad. Apple production capacity is stretched right now with iPhone 5, they'll next be ramping up iPad 4 production so to add another product would not make sense until after the iPad 4, perhaps June timeframe when they don't have a major product refresh and in conjunction with WWDC.
    1. D0D's Avatar
      D0D -
      I wonder if there is even going to be an iPad mini as there is no real room for it as the price point of $249 or $299 would eat the sales of the iPod touch 5g models. I expect more to see new iMac's and possibly the long awaited Apple TV.
    1. Cokeman's Avatar
      Cokeman -
      Quote Originally Posted by D0D View Post
      I wonder if there is even going to be an iPad mini as there is no real room for it as the price point of $249 or $299 would eat the sales of the iPod touch 5g models. I expect more to see new iMac's and possibly the long awaited Apple TV.
      I'm thinking more like 100 off the regular iPad price. So for a 16gb wifi 399, 16gb WiFi + Cellular 429. The only problem with that is they currently sell the iPad 2 starting at 399. So my guess would be they stop selling them.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by D0D View Post
      I wonder if there is even going to be an iPad mini as there is no real room for it as the price point of $249 or $299 would eat the sales of the iPod touch 5g models. I expect more to see new iMac's and possibly the long awaited Apple TV.
      Another member went so far as to say that the iPad Mini would eventually replace the iPod touch. I'm thinking both of you make a valid point.

      It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years...
    1. D0D's Avatar
      D0D -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Another member went so far as to say that the iPad Mini would eventually replace the iPod touch. I'm thinking both of you make a valid point.

      It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years...
      Yes Thazsar it should be an interesting next couple of weeks, as we see what Apple presents us with.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by D0D View Post
      Yes Thazsar it should be an interesting next couple of weeks, as we see what Apple presents us with.
      Agreed! Next couple weeks for iPad mini; next couple years for iPad mini vs iPod touch
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      Well, judge that the iPhone 5 was expected to sell 10 million in 3 days, but couldn't do to supply issues. In an entire quarter, apple may be able to pull it off.
      With iPhone 5 it has multiple purposes and it is mostly used as phone plus it is subsidized.
      I would not use iPhone as a template for the sale for iPad mini, the only number you can use would be from iPad 1, 2 & 3 sales figures.
      Let's not forget all the used iPad 1, 2 & 3 will be coming on the market when iPad mini comes out, as well as the drop in sales of the previous gen iPad because iPad mini is a direct competition to the previous gens.
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Apple have a reputation of not having enough stock so if someone wanted a smaller tablet they would've already brought an Android Tablet.
      I cant see the iPad mini doing anything good except COPY what Android tablets already do which is the 7 inch market. It wont be good. I for certain wont be buying one EVER. I already have the iPad 3 and a Galaxy Tab 7.7 so I got both big and small tablets and I prefer the GT 7.7 as its a better unit. I'm disappointed I didn't get the 10.1 inch GT as that would've kicked butt (*** gets censored) over the iPad.

      About the not enough stock yesterday a friend of mine went out to get an iPhone. As they are out of stock today she's gone out to get a Galaxy S3. There you go Apple, you lost another customer for not having enough stock. You knew you would need more so why didn't you get more made?
    1. robx93's Avatar
      robx93 -
      This was on the news tonight in my area.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Apple have a reputation of not having enough stock so if someone wanted a smaller tablet they would've already brought an Android Tablet.
      I cant see the iPad mini doing anything good except COPY what Android tablets already do which is the 7 inch market. It wont be good. I for certain wont be buying one EVER. I already have the iPad 3 and a Galaxy Tab 7.7 so I got both big and small tablets and I prefer the GT 7.7 as its a better unit. I'm disappointed I didn't get the 10.1 inch GT as that would've kicked butt (*** gets censored) over the iPad.

      About the not enough stock yesterday a friend of mine went out to get an iPhone. As they are out of stock today she's gone out to get a Galaxy S3. There you go Apple, you lost another customer for not having enough stock. You knew you would need more so why didn't you get more made?
      IDK....maybe I need to play w/ my Transformer Prime some more but I'm just not on the Android Train, yet.

      I do like the animated backgrounds and widgets but it kinda ends there. UI isn't smooth, finding an app is time consuming, unresponsive keyboard; I just can't make myself enjoy it.

      I will say, a lot of the apps are free so that's really nice!!!
    1. Airwaves182's Avatar
      Airwaves182 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Another member went so far as to say that the iPad Mini would eventually replace the iPod touch. I'm thinking both of you make a valid point.

      It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next couple years...
      Unless the ipad mini is pocketable it's not gonna happen dude.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
      Unless the ipad mini is pocketable it's not gonna happen dude.
      Isn't that what the iPod Nano or iPod Shuffle satisfies?

      Here's why I agree w/ the other people's ideas:

      -No need for Apple to continue making 3-4 different styles of iPods.

      -iPod Nano/Shuffle are easily portable
      *lightning dock frees up space for larger HD or screen

      -Tablets are becoming commonplace (regardless of pocketability), eliminating the need to carry an:
      iPad Mini and 'iPhone or iPod Touch'
    1. AdonisBlue's Avatar
      AdonisBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Apple have a reputation of not having enough stock so if someone wanted a smaller tablet they would've already brought an Android Tablet.
      I cant see the iPad mini doing anything good except COPY what Android tablets already do which is the 7 inch market. It wont be good. I for certain wont be buying one EVER. I already have the iPad 3 and a Galaxy Tab 7.7 so I got both big and small tablets and I prefer the GT 7.7 as its a better unit. I'm disappointed I didn't get the 10.1 inch GT as that would've kicked butt (*** gets censored) over the iPad.

      About the not enough stock yesterday a friend of mine went out to get an iPhone. As they are out of stock today she's gone out to get a Galaxy S3. There you go Apple, you lost another customer for not having enough stock. You knew you would need more so why didn't you get more made?
      You must be so much smarter than all of Apples marketing team, way to tell them off! Just curios how many billions of dollars do you make every year?
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I want to see one..not even a leaked photo of an actual iPad Mini..?? Show me something :]