Facebook is a popular social networking site that many people couldnít even fathom living without these days; almost everyone you know has a Facebook, or will be joining Facebook due to the marketing and peer pressures that pop up across TV commercials, the Internet, and from friends. Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced today that the site now has over one billion active monthly users:
Originally Posted by Mark Zuckerberg
Since February 2009
- Facebook users have clicked the like button 1.13 trillion times
- 140.3 billion connections have been made on Facebook
- 219 billion photographs have been uploaded to Facebook
- 17 billion posts that tag a user's location have been shared (check-ins)
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times
Characteristics of Users After Facebook Hit 1 Billion Users
- The median age of Facebook users is 22 years old
- The top five Facebook-using countries in alphabetical order are:
- United States
- 600 Million Facebook users are using the mobile version of the site
The fact sheet goes on to explain more numbers from older periods in time. Itís interesting to see these numbers because itís hard for people to admit that they may be addicted to Facebook. Itís also very surprising to see exactly how much interactivity we have with other people over the Web site, rather than face-to-face. In situations where face-to-face may not be possible, Facebook has helped us connect with people hundreds and even thousands of miles away form us.
With even iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion offering Facebook integration, it is likely that Facebook will see even more new users as they upgrade to the new operating systems and explore the new social networking features. As of these milestones, Facebookís usage will only continue to grow. It should be interesting to see how the numbers multiply in another couple of years.
Sources: Facebook Newsroom