• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Add HTML Widgets to the Home Screen With 'iWidgets'


    A new jailbreak tweak is in Cydia today called iWidgets by iOS developer eldwin and as the name suggests, it’s going to give you widgets. Shown above are the two default widgets that the tweak comes with – a clock widget and a calendar widget. These widgets are made from HTML and you can interact with them while they are on your home screen. If they look familiar, it's because they are; these are nearly identical to the Mac OS X dashboard widgets.

    To add widgets to your home screen after installing iWidgets, you can tap and hold on any empty area of your home screen to bring up the following interface:



    From this interface, you can pick the widget you want to add. When you tap on one, you will then be asked if you want to be able to interact with the widget – by default this is turned on. If you disable the feature, you will not be able to play around with the widget’s functions while it is on your home screen. If you leave it enabled, you will be able to play with the widgets, such as moving between months in the calendar widget.

    You can tap and hold on any application icon to enter editing mode. Editing mode is just like jiggle mode for App Store applications, as you will see a black ‘X’ button at the top left of the widgets for removing them from the home screen. You will also be able to drag them around and place them wherever you want them. Applications will not wrap around the widgets, so you will have to place the widgets in empty spots on the home screen. You can use Gridlock (by chpwn) to create cool designs.



    iWidgets is a neat little tweak, being that it’s free and adds some widgets to the home screen. The only real turn-off that iWidgets has is that the default widgets are not supported by the retina display and they come off as slightly fuzzy.

    Apart from the two default widgets that come with the tweak, it supports third party widgets that can be downloaded from Cydia (when available) or installed manually. The developer has a post on the ModMyi forums that contains some additional widgets and installation instructions if you would like to download and install them.

    Name: iWidgets
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: eldwin
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Add HTML Widgets to the Home Screen With 'iWidgets' started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 78 Comments
    1. serky's Avatar
      serky -
      Thanks for any help here. I installed iWidgets on my Jb 4s running 5.1.1. I can't get them to show by holding the home screen. I understand you don't know my tweaks installed for conflicts but maybe I am missing something simple. I tried removing HomeSpringPage in case of a conflict but it still didn't work.

      Thanks again.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by serky View Post
      Thanks for any help here. I installed iWidgets on my Jb 4s running 5.1.1. I can't get them to show by holding the home screen. I understand you don't know my tweaks installed for conflicts but maybe I am missing something simple. I tried removing HomeSpringPage in case of a conflict but it still didn't work.

      Thanks again.
      The one known tweak conflict with iWidgets is Infiniboard. If Infiniboard is installed it won't let you launch any iWidgets when you touch and hold on the home screen. Drove me crazy til I found it. Damn shame too since I loved Infiniboard's ability to have vertical paging of icons. Had to redo my whole icon layout without Infiniboard because I HAD to have iWdgets. Good luck.
    1. akoae's Avatar
      akoae -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      The one known tweak conflict with iWidgets is Infiniboard. If Infiniboard is installed it won't let you launch any iWidgets when you touch and hold on the home screen. Drove me crazy til I found it. Damn shame too since I loved Infiniboard's ability to have vertical paging of icons. Had to redo my whole icon layout without Infiniboard because I HAD to have iWdgets. Good luck.
      Hey NewdestinyX,
      you know what - I actually found out this is not 100 % the case. I have 3GS and I instaled some widgets ( the minimalistic date, 2 rows thing and the Nape? cube) , they work just fine. Later, after I read your post, I actually realized I AM using infiniboard, so the conflict is not 100 %. Some of the widgets are not working on the 3GS, but I give it to the lower hardware capabilities of the phone (he is kinda winded with all the little tweaks and add-ons, but still hanging in there . Not trying to turn you back to using infiniboard, just sharing some info on the topic . Cheers !
    1. kokhean's Avatar
      kokhean -
      Love it! I've 'trialed' Dashboard X and it the SpringBoard lagged for some reason, but I had no issues with iWidget.
      Personally, even though it may not add any true functionality for me, it makes theming a lot better.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by akoae View Post
      Hey NewdestinyX,
      you know what - I actually found out this is not 100 % the case. I have 3GS and I instaled some widgets ( the minimalistic date, 2 rows thing and the Nape? cube) , they work just fine. Later, after I read your post, I actually realized I AM using infiniboard, so the conflict is not 100 %. Some of the widgets are not working on the 3GS, but I give it to the lower hardware capabilities of the phone (he is kinda winded with all the little tweaks and add-ons, but still hanging in there . Not trying to turn you back to using infiniboard, just sharing some info on the topic . Cheers !
      I know for sure Infiniboard will turn off iWidgets on ip4 and 4S. Tested it on many phones. Guess you got lucky on 3GS. :-).. But most of us have newer phones.
    1. serky's Avatar
      serky -
      I do not have infiniboard installed, I do have infinidock and infinifolders installed. not sure if that is a conflict? i would hate to lose them though.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by serky View Post
      I do not have infiniboard installed, I do have infinidock and infinifolders installed. not sure if that is a conflict? i would hate to lose them though.
      You don't have to give them up. Only Infiniboard (vertical page scrolling tweak). The others don't conflict with iWidgets.
    1. serky's Avatar
      serky -
      Any other ideas? Am I missing anything? Installed iWidgets, restart springboard, hold down on home or any screen? An iWidget menu should appear? Not for me.

      Thanks again.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by serky View Post
      Any other ideas? Am I missing anything? Installed iWidgets, restart springboard, hold down on home or any screen? An iWidget menu should appear? Not for me.

      Thanks again.
      There's a conflict with another tweak you have loaded. You'll need to use SBSettings or Springtomize to be able to turn off one tweak at a time until iWidgets starts to work. Then you'll discover the conflicting tweak. Have you tried yet a complete uninstall of iWidgets, Reboot, Reinstall, reboot?
    1. serky's Avatar
      serky -
      I figured that would be the answer and with all the tweaks I have, a pain to find the problem. I use NC Settings, not SB Settings or Springtomize. I had a problem with Springtomize, Dashboard X, and Intelliscreen. I guess I have a problem tweak that conflicts with a bunch of tweaks, iWidgets just added to the list.

      Thanks again.

      Jason
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by serky View Post
      I figured that would be the answer and with all the tweaks I have, a pain to find the problem. I use NC Settings, not SB Settings or Springtomize. I had a problem with Springtomize, Dashboard X, and Intelliscreen. I guess I have a problem tweak that conflicts with a bunch of tweaks, iWidgets just added to the list.

      Thanks again.

      Jason
      NC Settings itself is known not to play nicely with a LOT of tweaks including Dashboard. ;-). That could be your problem right there. Uninstall NC and see if iWidget works then.
    1. Richard's Avatar
      Richard -
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
      I'll just leave this here
      It's only $0.99 and it's 12 of my widgets.
      Updates and new ones will be tied to this.

      106mb of pure genius :-)

      I see a Hack repo has already got hold of this !!!

      All I can say is Durben puts a lot of work in to all his Widgets and as also just lost his Job, so give the guy a break and buy this for 99c and don't go for the hacked version !

      I wold pay 99c a widget, they are slick and clean and always with great support.

      Thanks
    1. Wildfowler's Avatar
      Wildfowler -
      Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
      106mb of pure genius :-)

      I see a Hack repo has already got hold of this !!!

      All I can say is Durben puts a lot of work in to all his Widgets and as also just lost his Job, so give the guy a break and buy this for 99c and don't go for the hacked version !

      I wold pay 99c a widget, they are slick and clean and always with great support.

      Thanks
      Wise words. Durben's work is top drawer stuff.
    1. ssonic90's Avatar
      ssonic90 -
      Does anybody know where i can find a htc iwidget? Or a iwidget that will look great with the boss.ios theme?
    1. ReapersHouse's Avatar
      ReapersHouse -
      With infiniboard the work around i've found is SBSettings and turn it off add your widget go back to SBSettings turn infiniboard back on and wala best of both worlds.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by ReapersHouse View Post
      With infiniboard the work around i've found is SBSettings and turn it off add your widget go back to SBSettings turn infiniboard back on and wala best of both worlds.
      When you turn off Infiniboard and respring your icons scatter to horizontal pages and come all out of their folders. Not a practical workaround if u ask me..
    1. willie11's Avatar
      willie11 -
      does any one know why my menu won't pop up, i click and hold, and nothing happens
    1. Giannacor's Avatar
      Giannacor -
      i guess it's a quite common problem so i hope that someone might help me to solve this error. it's looks like i'm experiencing someone difficulties in posting messages. Can anyone help me?. contact via my blog OR just write me a PM