• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Add HTML Widgets to the Home Screen With 'iWidgets'


    A new jailbreak tweak is in Cydia today called iWidgets by iOS developer eldwin and as the name suggests, it’s going to give you widgets. Shown above are the two default widgets that the tweak comes with – a clock widget and a calendar widget. These widgets are made from HTML and you can interact with them while they are on your home screen. If they look familiar, it's because they are; these are nearly identical to the Mac OS X dashboard widgets.

    To add widgets to your home screen after installing iWidgets, you can tap and hold on any empty area of your home screen to bring up the following interface:



    From this interface, you can pick the widget you want to add. When you tap on one, you will then be asked if you want to be able to interact with the widget – by default this is turned on. If you disable the feature, you will not be able to play around with the widget’s functions while it is on your home screen. If you leave it enabled, you will be able to play with the widgets, such as moving between months in the calendar widget.

    You can tap and hold on any application icon to enter editing mode. Editing mode is just like jiggle mode for App Store applications, as you will see a black ‘X’ button at the top left of the widgets for removing them from the home screen. You will also be able to drag them around and place them wherever you want them. Applications will not wrap around the widgets, so you will have to place the widgets in empty spots on the home screen. You can use Gridlock (by chpwn) to create cool designs.



    iWidgets is a neat little tweak, being that it’s free and adds some widgets to the home screen. The only real turn-off that iWidgets has is that the default widgets are not supported by the retina display and they come off as slightly fuzzy.

    Apart from the two default widgets that come with the tweak, it supports third party widgets that can be downloaded from Cydia (when available) or installed manually. The developer has a post on the ModMyi forums that contains some additional widgets and installation instructions if you would like to download and install them.

    Name: iWidgets
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: eldwin
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Add HTML Widgets to the Home Screen With 'iWidgets' started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 78 Comments
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
      Would love to post more screens but I delete most mine from phone.
      Here's a round touch one. Shows user pic, tap it you see weather.




      Madison pro HD thread is a simple version.
      The one in my screen a few people have. It has a bunch more options, different frames ect.
      I'll put it up eventually. Not really pumping out weather mods at the moment until I'm certain what yahoo is doing.
      Damn that looks nice. Can't wait for the 4S to be jail broken to try that theme (Circles, incase anyone is interested) and that widget.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      Damn that looks nice. Can't wait for the 4S to be jail broken to try that theme (Circles, incase anyone is interested) and that widget.
      The 4S has had a jailbreak for close to 8 months already.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      wow, so much fuss over Widgets?
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      The 4S has had a jailbreak for close to 8 months already.
      You're funny.
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Wow I can't believe this junk for a review. This is truly a great tweak that is a game changer for widgets. I usually like your reviews, but now I really gotta rethink what I may have missed based on how badly you missed this one.

      Anyone that has made it this far in this news thread must obviously know by now that this is amazing.

      But don't take my word for it, go check it out for yourself.


      Well go now, what are you waiting for!

    1. The_Durben's Avatar
      The_Durben -
      Reading back I think we are being hard on Anthony
      Likely that eldwin didn't include links to user mods or the thread so using the two widgets it came with you don't get a clear understanding of what this tweak does.

      Definitely read the thread if this is the first you're seeing of this tweak.
      If you already know what this tweak is you're probably there already.
    1. Sk37cH's Avatar
      Sk37cH -
      Can someone confirm what version is on cydia std repo? Will widgets made for the "unstable" (term used lightly) version have the options? Thank you for any info you can enlighten me with
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
      Can someone confirm what version is on cydia std repo? Will widgets made for the "unstable" (term used lightly) version have the options? Thank you for any info you can enlighten me with
      The version on cydia is for widgets with or without options. Edwin fixed the "unstable" version prior to submitting to cydia.
    1. Jj2345's Avatar
      Jj2345 -
      Another tweak android already has on stock firmware :-)
      *Exits before I get chewed out by apple fan boys*
    1. The_Durben's Avatar
      The_Durben -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
      Another tweak android already has on stock firmware :-)
      *Exits before I get chewed out by apple fan boys*
      lol it's all good. You're the one showing interest reading about iPhone tweaks
      Also we have nicer designed ones. Android lacks a large modding base. And it's really about making your phone yours. Regardless of platform
      I just prefer 
    1. King_O_Hill's Avatar
      King_O_Hill -
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
      lol it's all good. You're the one showing interest reading about iPhone tweaks
      Also we have nicer designed ones. Android lacks a large modding base. And it's really about making your phone yours. Regardless of platform
      I just prefer 
      Well said Derrick
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      You're funny.
      I'm not funny.. Anon.. I'm trying to educate you! :-).. The 4S on 5.1.1 has had a jailbreak for many months. There's no JB for iOS6 on a 4S. Is that what you were referring to? You stated it generally. You said "I can't wait for the 4S to have a jailbreak." Jes' sayin there already is one. ;-)
    1. Richard's Avatar
      Richard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post


      A new jailbreak tweak is in Cydia today called iWidgets by iOS developer eldwin and as the name suggests, it’s going to give you widgets. Shown above are the two default widgets that the tweak comes with – a clock widget and a calendar widget. These widgets are made from HTML and you can interact with them while they are on your home screen. If they look familiar, it's because they are; these are nearly identical to the Mac OS X dashboard widgets.

      To add these widgets to your home screen after installing iWidgets, you can tap and hold on any empty area of your home screen to bring up the following interface:



      From this interface, you can pick the widget you want to add. When you tap on one, you will then be asked if you want to be able to interact with the widget – by default this is turned on. If you disable the feature, you will not be able to play around with the widget’s functions while it is on your home screen. If you leave it enabled, you will be able to play with the widgets, such as moving between months in the calendar widget.

      You can tap and hold on any application icon to enter editing mode. Editing mode is just like jiggle mode for App Store applications, as you will see a black ‘X’ button at the top left of the widgets for removing them from the home screen. You will also be able to drag them around and place them wherever you want them. Applications will not wrap around the widgets, so you will have to place the widgets in empty spots on the home screen. You can use Gridlock (by chpwn) to create cool designs.



      iWidgets is a neat little tweak, being that it’s free and adds some widgets to the home screen. The only real turn-off that iWidgets has is that the default widgets are not supported by the retina display and they come off as slightly fuzzy.

      Apart from the two default widgets that come with the tweak, it supports third party widgets that can be downloaded from Cydia or installed manually. The developer has a post on the ModMyi forums that contains some additional widgets and installation instructions if you would like to download and install them.

      Name: iWidgets
      Price: FREE
      Version: 1.0.1
      Repo: ModMyi
      Developer: eldwin
      Editor's Rating:  5/5

      Anthony

      I still find it hard to believe that a MMI writer can get it so wrong. Surly you have seen the reaction that this has got and thought I think I will actually check this out properly. We are all obviously entitled to our own opinion. But EVERY comment on her says 5/5 (which i have changed for you on the quote :-))so is everyone wrong apart from you ?

      Everyone would have more respect for you if you held your hand up and said sorry guys I did not give this enough research, and here is the proper review.

      I would be interested in what you think now, after you have seen the reaction this has caused rather than you just sating away from this thread that you started ?

      Thanks
    1. sand_man's Avatar
      sand_man -
      Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
      Everyone would have more respect for you if you held your hand up and said sorry guys I did not give this enough research, and here is the proper review.
      Well, he has apologized but I agree, a more thorough analysis, of what is a revolutionary app (yes, revolutionary), is required.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      I'm not funny.. Anon.. I'm trying to educate you! :-).. The 4S on 5.1.1 has had a jailbreak for many months. There's no JB for iOS6 on a 4S. Is that what you were referring to? You stated it generally. You said "I can't wait for the 4S to have a jailbreak." Jes' sayin there already is one. ;-)
      I'm on iOS 6 now . Was jail broken on iOS 5.1.1, but decided to update. Thanks, though.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      I'm on iOS 6 now . Was jail broken on iOS 5.1.1, but decided to update. Thanks, though.
      Ooo. Bad move. JB won't be here for several months. :-(. Just like last time - probably longer. This time last time, with 5.0.1 we at least had proof of a tethered JB. We don't have that now not even for iP4 which will always have the bootrom exploit. Long wait ahead. :-(
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      The boot room exploit allows for a tethered jailbreak on iphone4 no other exploits are needed for that. There is a tethered jailbreak for iphone4 in redsnow.

      Also can't really put a time frame on ios6 being jailbroken as they could find an exploit today, tomorrow or could of found one already and not told people so they don't get bugged about it.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
      Also can't really put a time frame on ios6 being jailbroken as they could find an exploit today, tomorrow or could of found one already and not told people so they don't get bugged about it.
      I'm just going by history. They've never withheld an exploit find - ever. They love the attention. :-). And since 3GS each untethered JB release has gotten longer in wait time. 4S was 15 weeks. But I'm sure hopin' you're right Gunny! :-)
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      This was in beta forever. I assume it is published now because it's either finished, or it's been added to Cydia.
    1. dwizurd's Avatar
      dwizurd -
      Hands down the reason in not upgrading to iOS 6. If your looking for amazing ways to truly customize you home screen, this is it. Make sure to check out the iwidgets thread for an awesome assortment of widgets. Great job Eldwin!! 5/5