• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • IPhone 5's A6 CPUs Running at 1.3GHz According to New Geekbench Results


    Apple’s A6 processor found in the iPhone 5 might be operating faster than originally thought according to a newly-released build of Geekbench.

    Apple’s iPhone 5 is considerably faster than the iPhone 4S and Apple quoted a 2x performance increase during the iPhone's announcement, but was surprising mum on their new A6 processor specs. Originally the A6 SoC reportedly had a dual core 1GHz CPUs and three GPUs in a custom ARM layout. However, the new testing has clocked the dual core CPUs at 1.3GHz.

    The updated Geekbench tool, version 2.3.6, released Wednesday provides more accurate CPU reported due to an improved frequency detection algorithm Primate Labs’ John Poole told Engadget.

    "Earlier versions of Geekbench had trouble determining the A6's frequency, which lead to people claiming the A6's frequency as 1.0GHz as it was the most common value Geekbench reported." — Poole
    Poole disagrees with other reports that claims that the A6 has the ability to dynamically overclock itself during CPU-taxing processes.

    "I don't believe the A6 has any form of processor boost. In our testing, we found the 1.3GHz was constant regardless of whether one core or both cores were busy." — Poole
    Source: Engadget [via AppleInsider]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IPhone 5's A6 CPUs Running at 1.3GHz According to New Geekbench Results started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. Liveitlive's Avatar
      Liveitlive -
      More good news about that lovely chip
    1. jwil736's Avatar
      jwil736 -
      Bought this app earlier today. Benchmarked at 1643 and actual 1.29Ghz guess they rounded to 1.3Ghz.
    1. vantheman169's Avatar
      vantheman169 -
      Awesome.
    1. iChopPryde's Avatar
      iChopPryde -
      the iphone 4s only runs at 800mhz? I just tried this app with it I thought the iphone 4s had a dual core chip in it running at 1ghz? how fast are the older phones they must be a lot less compared to the 4s and 5.
    1. ProfessorJack's Avatar
      ProfessorJack -
      Hi guys

      I've just down loaded from iTunes

      iPhone 5.2
      Chip running 1.10
      Bench mark 1636
      Ram 1016

      Either wee have 2 DIFFERENT ip5's or this this bench software is FALTY AH

      My batt got it last Thursday 5 day charge since Monday still got half batt

      My 4s has 10 days batt apple have been asking me how I done it this was one of the reasons why apple sent mine early in the uk

      HAVE A GOOD DAY GUYS
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
      the iphone 4s only runs at 800mhz? I just tried this app with it I thought the iphone 4s had a dual core chip in it running at 1ghz? how fast are the older phones they must be a lot less compared to the 4s and 5.
      It's to conserve battery life otherwise you'll end up like Android phones with batteries dying out every few hours.
    1. Jcbzr's Avatar
      Jcbzr -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      It's to conserve battery life otherwise you'll end up like Android phones with batteries dying out every few hours.
      I'll have you know my SGH-i747m lasts more than a "few hours"... Right in the ego.
    1. gehjl's Avatar
      gehjl -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      It's to conserve battery life otherwise you'll end up like Android phones with batteries dying out every few hours.
      Yeah...I have no problem with my Android phone making it through the day. And if I use it extensively, at least I'm able to have a USB cord at home, in my car, and at work, and can be bought for cheap because they use a normal plug. Otherwise you'll end up like iPhone 5 users carrying one USB cord everywhere.
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      It's to conserve battery life otherwise you'll end up like Android phones with batteries dying out every few hours.
      Or like an iPhone. I use mine for business and only get 4 hours of use. Has been pretty consistent with all models I have owned.(have owned the 3G,3GS,4,4S)The 4S has been the worst with what I'd guess is 10 to maybe 15% less usage time
      Btw I'm talking about actual usage time not just 8am to Noon 4hours.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Isn't the S3 1.5? I guess Samsung is right on the next big thing already being here.

      Okay I better run before I get attacked by fanboys.
    1. Eiswritsat's Avatar
      Eiswritsat -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Isn't the S3 1.5? I guess Samsung is right on the next big thing already being here.

      Okay I better run before I get attacked by fanboys.
      Samsung, isn't the only phone that runs at 1.5...
    1. fventura03's Avatar
      fventura03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
      I'll have you know my SGH-i747m lasts more than a "few hours"... Right in the ego.
      x2. i get a day of usage out of my Galaxy S3
    1. phoenix3200's Avatar
      phoenix3200 -
      The phone doesn't report it's CPU frequency at all .

      #4830596 - Pastie

      Relevant lines:
      iPhone51:~ root# sysctl -A
      hw.cpufrequency: No such file or directory

      So until we hear it direct from Apple, 1.3 GHz might be the best guess. Not that frequency is a good comparison mechanism when the architecture changes...
    1. xTorch's Avatar
      xTorch -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Isn't the S3 1.5? I guess Samsung is right on the next big thing already being here.

      Okay I better run before I get attacked by fanboys.
      And you honestly think that the CPU's clock is the only thing that makes it fast?

      Maybe that's why you're getting attacked by fanboys...
    1. kickerman65's Avatar
      kickerman65 -
      Yea im only getting 1.10ghz

      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Isn't the S3 1.5? I guess Samsung is right on the next big thing already being here.

      Okay I better run before I get attacked by fanboys.
      Hmmm.....And yet the iP5 is still faster. What is that saying about your Samsung and its OS? Its saying your phone is a resource hog and the OS and hardware don't play well together. It needs higher specs than the iP5................just so it can run slower than it
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
      Yeah...I have no problem with my Android phone making it through the day. And if I use it extensively, at least I'm able to have a USB cord at home, in my car, and at work, and can be bought for cheap because they use a normal plug. Otherwise you'll end up like iPhone 5 users carrying one USB cord everywhere.
      With normal usage I would be lucky to get a full day of usage from my GS3.

      Also the iPhone 5 for me lasts about 10 hours of "screen time" no need to carry cable. And for that matter never did with any other Iphone

      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      Or like an iPhone. I use mine for business and only get 4 hours of use. Has been pretty consistent with all models I have owned.(have owned the 3G,3GS,4,4S)The 4S has been the worst with what I'd guess is 10 to maybe 15% less usage time
      Btw I'm talking about actual usage time not just 8am to Noon 4hours.
      My 4 an 4s would last 6-7 hours actual usage (email, SMS,streaming , video, Siri, twitter etc..). My iPhone 5 gets around 10 hours of usage
    1. Own3d's Avatar
      Own3d -
      Quote Originally Posted by xTorch View Post
      And you honestly think that the CPU's clock is the only thing that makes it fast?

      Maybe that's why you're getting attacked by fanboys...
      Thank you for saying it before I did. Lol.
    1. lkailburn's Avatar
      lkailburn -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      With normal usage I would be lucky to get a full day of usage from my GS3.

      Also the iPhone 5 for me lasts about 10 hours of "screen time" no need to carry cable. And for that matter never did with any other Iphone



      My 4 an 4s would last 6-7 hours actual usage (email, SMS,streaming , video, Siri, twitter etc..). My iPhone 5 gets around 10 hours of usage
      Lucky you Shrug* I've never gotten more than 4:30 or 4:45 actual usage on any of the devices I've owned, 4 hours being the norm
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Wikipedia is showing : 1.2GHz dual core Apple A6
    1. Tperry's Avatar
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
      Lucky you Shrug* I've never gotten more than 4:30 or 4:45 actual usage on any of the devices I've owned, 4 hours being the norm
      He is lucky or his day doesn't consist of "business regular" use I'm lucky if i get 8 before having to hit the charger.