• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's Maps Receiving High-Praise from Chinese Users


    Apple’s new native iOS 6 Maps application has endured it’s fair share of warranted criticism since its launch last Friday. However, the narrative is a little different in China.

    Apple’s version of Maps for the Chinese market is being praised as a “huge improvement over Google Maps.” The difference is easily discernible by the screenshot above, and while there is considerably more information present in Apple’s Maps application, there are still some features missing due to Chinese law.

    Apple’s Maps in China benefit from data provided by the most widely used mobile mapping service in China AutoNAvi Holdings, according to The Wall Street Journal. The AutoNavi partnership means Apple’s Maps will contain more detail than competitors’ offerings.

    However, there are a considerable number of shortcomings in Apples’ Chinese version of Maps, most notably the lack of any integrated Maps data outside of China which is supplied by TomTom to Apple. Also, turn-by-turn directions, 3D flyovers and satellite imagery for other countries are absent.

    Apple’s AutoNavi integration has expanded Maps coverage from “big cities and tourist centers” to the rest of China.

    Originally Posted by :
    "In my experience, the new version of Maps zooms in much further, shows more points of interest, clearly labels banks and cellphone shops (China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom), and gives the locations of ATMs and public restrooms (my original iPad running iOS 6 doesn't show either of those things). The killer feature, though, is that iOS Maps shows both English names and Chinese characters for everything, whereas Google-powered Maps only shows the English translation," Chinese iOS 6 Maps user, Anthony Drendel wrote.
    Source: AppleInsider, Anthony Drendel, WSJ
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's Maps Receiving High-Praise from Chinese Users started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
    1. bai's Avatar
      bai -
      事实上我依然用凯立德离线导航
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      How many people do you figure own much less drive a car in China? They can make 200 rubber spiders for a penny so impressing them shouldn't be too difficult.
    1. rukavuda's Avatar
      rukavuda -
      Lol that made me choke on coffee lol
    1. Glocknine's Avatar
      Glocknine -
      Worst apple propaganda ever lol!
    1. anekin007's Avatar
      anekin007 -
      the reason why google has poor mapping in china is because google mapping is not authorized by the chinese government. Google uses autonavi to display maps in china.
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      How many people do you figure own much less drive a car in China? They can make 200 rubber spiders for a penny so impressing them shouldn't be too difficult.
      China devalues their currency on purpose so they will labor for cheap prices. You have to understand what a penny will buy you in China, before you compare to the US. If a dollar buys a chocolate bar here, a penny might buy a chocolate bar in china
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by bai View Post
      事实上我依然用凯立德离线导航
      True true
    1. Luismiguellopezx's Avatar
      Luismiguellopezx -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      China devalues their currency on purpose so they will labor for cheap prices. You have to understand what a penny will buy you in China, before you compare to the US. If a dollar buys a chocolate bar here, a penny might buy a chocolate bar in china
      Well if you go to irac u will get even more buddy!!! A five dollar is like a 200 candy bars jus figure that out
    1. shark101au's Avatar
      shark101au -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      How many people do you figure own much less drive a car in China? They can make 200 rubber spiders for a penny so impressing them shouldn't be too difficult.
      80 million poeple have cas in China and that will rise to several hundred million over the next 10 years. You should climb out from under your rock, ignorance is no excuse for stupidity
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      Quote Originally Posted by shark101au View Post
      80 million poeple have cas in China and that will rise to several hundred million over the next 10 years. You should climb out from under your rock, ignorance is no excuse for stupidity
      I'm not talking about a glorified scooter, I'm talking about a true modern automobile with actual amenities which China quite frankly does not produce. We have close to 300 million registered in the USA.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      How many people do you figure own much less drive a car in China? They can make 200 rubber spiders for a penny so impressing them shouldn't be too difficult.
      You think the factory workers are the ones buying the iPhones?

      Also it disgusts me how you say impressing them shouldn't be difficult. Why? Cause they work 3x more than you will your entire life in a day? I agree you are very ignorant.
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      An original iPad can't run iOS 6. Anyone else catch this?
    1. Tperry's Avatar
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      An original iPad can't run iOS 6. Anyone else catch this?
      Old news. That poor old dog has been beaten to death.
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Quote Originally Posted by shark101au View Post
      80 million poeple have cas in China and that will rise to several hundred million over the next 10 years. You should climb out from under your rock, ignorance is no excuse for stupidity
      ...in a country of 1.3 billion.
    1. JC86's Avatar
      JC86 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      How many people do you figure own much less drive a car in China? They can make 200 rubber spiders for a penny so impressing them shouldn't be too difficult.
      Wow, the stupidity and ignorance of that statement is just baffling. More cars are sold in China today than there are in the US. So much so in fact that the government has had to stop issuing vehicle registrations to ease traffic and pollution in the major cities like Beijing. GM, Ford, BMW, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc. . . . any auto manufacturer of any significance has a significant presence in China because that's where the largest market is right now. GM has sold more cars in China the last three years than they have in the US.

      Apple's biggest market that they are just beginning to open up is China. Why do you think they went so far as to tout the integration of China-centric web-services like Baidu and Weibo at the WWDC for iOS and Mountain Lion? Walk through any airport, and literally everyone has an ipad and/or and iphone.

      Like it or not, companies like Apple are increasingly shifting their focus on the Chinese market because that's where their room for growth is huge.

      Yea, its not too difficult to impress Chinese consumers at all. Bentley sold 578 cars in China while they only sold 450 in the US. With an average sticker price at about a quarter million USD in the United States, the price in China is almost double than when you factor in import tariffs. China still outsold the US.

      Check your facts next time before you make yourself look like an ignorant fool who thinks that we (as in the United States),are the only consumers that matter anymore. It's a global economy now and China, like it or not, is one the biggest players in it.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JC86 View Post
      Wow, the stupidity and ignorance of that statement is just baffling. More cars are sold in China today than there are in the US. So much so in fact that the government has had to stop issuing vehicle registrations to ease traffic and pollution in the major cities like Beijing. GM, Ford, BMW, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc. . . . any auto manufacturer of any significance has a significant presence in China because that's where the largest market is right now. GM has sold more cars in China the last three years than they have in the US.

      Apple's biggest market that they are just beginning to open up is China. Why do you think they went so far as to tout the integration of China-centric web-services like Baidu and Weibo at the WWDC for iOS and Mountain Lion? Walk through any airport, and literally everyone has an ipad and/or and iphone.

      Like it or not, companies like Apple are increasingly shifting their focus on the Chinese market because that's where their room for growth is huge.

      Yea, its not too difficult to impress Chinese consumers at all. Bentley sold 578 cars in China while they only sold 450 in the US. With an average sticker price at about a quarter million USD in the United States, the price in China is almost double than when you factor in import tariffs. China still outsold the US.

      Check your facts next time before you make yourself look like an ignorant fool who thinks that we (as in the United States),are the only consumers that matter anymore. It's a global economy now and China, like it or not, is one the biggest players in it.

      Awesome post backed with facts, unlike someone who posts only with his opinion.
      Might want to mention China owns more than $1.1 trillion of U.S. debts, that is 2nd largest entity U.S. owes money to. Only 2nd to U.S. government itself, if you question this check out the link which is reported back in February it should be a lot more now: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bigges...ov-t-debt.html
    1. supermicho's Avatar
      supermicho -
      Quote Originally Posted by JC86 View Post
      Wow, the stupidity and ignorance of that statement is just baffling. More cars are sold in China today than there are in the US. So much so in fact that the government has had to stop issuing vehicle registrations to ease traffic and pollution in the major cities like Beijing. GM, Ford, BMW, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc. . . . any auto manufacturer of any significance has a significant presence in China because that's where the largest market is right now. GM has sold more cars in China the last three years than they have in the US.

      Apple's biggest market that they are just beginning to open up is China. Why do you think they went so far as to tout the integration of China-centric web-services like Baidu and Weibo at the WWDC for iOS and Mountain Lion? Walk through any airport, and literally everyone has an ipad and/or and iphone.

      Like it or not, companies like Apple are increasingly shifting their focus on the Chinese market because that's where their room for growth is huge.

      Yea, its not too difficult to impress Chinese consumers at all. Bentley sold 578 cars in China while they only sold 450 in the US. With an average sticker price at about a quarter million USD in the United States, the price in China is almost double than when you factor in import tariffs. China still outsold the US.

      Check your facts next time before you make yourself look like an ignorant fool who thinks that we (as in the United States),are the only consumers that matter anymore. It's a global economy now and China, like it or not, is one the biggest players in it.
      Where the hell is the Like button???
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by supermicho View Post
      Where the hell is the Like button???
      and where the hell is owned button, so want to use it on the other guy
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      Quote Originally Posted by JC86 View Post
      Wow, the stupidity and ignorance of that statement is just baffling. More cars are sold in China today than there are in the US. So much so in fact that the government has had to stop issuing vehicle registrations to ease traffic and pollution in the major cities like Beijing. GM, Ford, BMW, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc. . . . any auto manufacturer of any significance has a significant presence in China because that's where the largest market is right now. GM has sold more cars in China the last three years than they have in the US.

      Apple's biggest market that they are just beginning to open up is China. Why do you think they went so far as to tout the integration of China-centric web-services like Baidu and Weibo at the WWDC for iOS and Mountain Lion? Walk through any airport, and literally everyone has an ipad and/or and iphone.

      Like it or not, companies like Apple are increasingly shifting their focus on the Chinese market because that's where their room for growth is huge.

      Yea, its not too difficult to impress Chinese consumers at all. Bentley sold 578 cars in China while they only sold 450 in the US. With an average sticker price at about a quarter million USD in the United States, the price in China is almost double than when you factor in import tariffs. China still outsold the US.

      Check your facts next time before you make yourself look like an ignorant fool who thinks that we (as in the United States),are the only consumers that matter anymore. It's a global economy now and China, like it or not, is one the biggest players in it.
      I've been to China, and I've never seen as many expensive cars on the road as I did there... Thank you for such an eloquent factual post!