• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPhone 5 Scuffing Issues


    Last week, ModMyi reported that iPhone 5 customers were bringing their iPhone 5 units home to find scuffmarks all over the aluminum band right out of the manufacturer’s box. The issue was prevalent with the black and white models of the iPhone 5, though because of the natural color of aluminum, the issue was much easier to see on the black iPhone 5 because it shined right through the colored coating.


    Example of a scuffed iPhone 5 right out of the box.

    As a major issue that might just be recognized as easily as the iPhone 4’s antenna issue, Apple’s senior vice president of marketing, Phil Schiller, has begun to comment on the issue. Schiller is quoted by 9to5Mac responding to a user that asked about the issue:

    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone 5 Customer
    I love my black and slate iPhone 5, but I've been seeing some scuffs, scratches, and marks throughout the band around the phone along with many others. What should we all do? Any plans to fix this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Schiller
    Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural color. That is normal.
    It almost seems as though Schiller has tiptoed around the issue, placing blame on the user for the scuffmarks in that he says, “with use.” It would make sense that with use, the aluminum may be subject to scratching, but when it happens right out of the box then it is a major issue. If Schiller meant that this is normal right out of the box then it is enough to leave most of us speechless, if not angry with Apple for their spotty iPhone 5 assembly process.

    For now, if you do experience any scuffmarks right out of the box, you will be able to return the iPhone 5 unit to the store you bought it from for a replacement. This may be the only fix for now, as Apple hasn’t revealed any plans to look into the issue just yet.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPhone 5 Scuffing Issues started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 73 Comments
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      iPhone 4 = problems
      iPhone 4S = no problems
      iPhone 5 = problems
      iPhone 5S/6 = no problems

      Glad I waited
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
      iPhone 4 = problems
      iPhone 4S = no problems
      iPhone 5 = problems
      iPhone 5S/6 = no problems

      Glad I waited
      +1
    1. skater411's Avatar
      skater411 -
      Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
      iPhone 4 = problems
      iPhone 4S = no problems
      iPhone 5 = problems
      iPhone 5S/6 = no problems

      Glad I waited
      Mine should be here tomorrow morning I'll reported back to see if i get one that screw up i hope not
    1. Mr. B's Avatar
      Mr. B -
      Had they rounded those edges a bit, this probably wouldn't be a problem... a bulk of the stress on the paint in concentrated on hair-this lines.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      The scuffing on the phone before opening it is quality control issue at Foxconn, I am sure they are working on improving QC. I doubt Apple will address this issue any further. Sucks for the first batch of people who did get the phone and it was already scratched.
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      Quote Originally Posted by itsTrentB View Post
      Apple is just plain out greedy. Period.
      What the hell is wrong with you. Apple REPLACES a $600 product because of a tiny microscopic scratch that a handful of users are whining about, and that is your conclusion?
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
      Lol at these complaints. This is why you buy important things at the store, not online. If you where at the store, opened your new iphone while they were getting your new nano sim card, look and see any visible defects, you say i want another. Do the same step as above until you find one in mint condition. Done. What's so hard about that? Silly people, never cease to amaze the ignorance.
      So your saying we can't buy "important" things online?? You don't make any sense. If I pay for something and I don't like it, you best believe I'm gonna *****!!
    1. rehtaehy73's Avatar
      rehtaehy73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
      you bastards. =(
      lol...this made me laugh too!
      I ordered mine at 12:27 PM eastern time, right at lunch, through AT&T and it came on the 21st at 10:00 am. I don't understand all the back up orders! Mine came perfect. No scratches. It was promptly put into it's case, where it will stay, until the lifeproof case is made. I will not risk any scratches.
    1. louee6's Avatar
      louee6 -
      Apple basically said, you buy my product and shut the f@&k up!!! Well hey, you rushed to get the phone, you should've known something wasn't gonna be right!! I'm sure appple will fix it in the long haul, NOTTTTTTTTT!!!
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Quote Originally Posted by HighTymes View Post
      The customer never mentioned that phones where coming in that condition right out of the box. So how else would someone warrant a product for scratches over time?

      I would respond the same way, normal use over time will scratch any case.

      If your phone comes scratched right out I the box then return it, seems like such a simple task but I guess too much for some to handle. No phone is going to be perfect every time.
      No phone should come out the box scratched. You shouldn't have to take a new phone back soon as you get it.
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Why is this such a difficult issue? Take it back for a replacement and stop crying!!

      Geez!
    1. smooth22's Avatar
      smooth22 -
      Im cool..my iphone 4 don't have a scratch on it... because its scratch proof lol
    1. Varmit's Avatar
      Varmit -
      Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
      Get a clue people, Apple is not Greedy, they are not out to screw us over....my god I've never seen so many frickin' whiners. They recognize it and looking into it, and replacing where noted. Obviously none of you work in a manufacturing side of life, crap happens it's all about once recognized what is done about it. God you people must be hell to live with. Go tell your Mommies and suck you thumbs....
      It's called quality control. If you have that, there's no need the issues they are having now.
    1. revblaze's Avatar
      revblaze -
      Quote Originally Posted by itsTrentB View Post
      Apple is just plain out greedy. Period.
      I wouldn't say they're greedy, but I do think Steve Jobs would have addressed the issue with a customer-friendly conclusion. I received my iPhone 5 the day it came out via shipping and I was surprised to find that some of the edges on the black aluminum sides weren't fully covered (you could see some silver, as if they were spray painting the sides and missed a bit on the edges). I also found some silver scruffs. Steve Jobs may not have had a lot to do with the design, I just think that this type of thing wouldn't happen with him still around.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Just got my iPhone 5 just now. Installing everything on it. No scratches. Works perfect. Even from a 4s user. This thing is awesome
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Scuffgate, scuffgate, Scuffgate!!!
    1. Craids's Avatar
      Craids -
      Quote Originally Posted by itsTrentB View Post
      Apple is just plain out greedy. Period.
      Which is why they replace it for free. My friend tried that with his GS3 he got, had a giant mark on the back out of the box, they told him they couldn't do anything.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
      Lol at these complaints. This is why you buy important things at the store, not online. If you where at the store, opened your new iphone while they were getting your new nano sim card, look and see any visible defects, you say i want another. Do the same step as above until you find one in mint condition. Done. What's so hard about that? Silly people, never cease to amaze the ignorance.
      The phones come with a sim in it. It's activated and you leave. 5 minutes in and out
    1. kbcox0327's Avatar
      kbcox0327 -
      Hopefully by the time they release the jailbreak they will just have the chrome finish like the white ones. Do any iPhone owners feel compelled (by jealousy or embarrassment I'm guessing) to lurk the android sites & nitpick-troll their customers? I wonder why fandroids have so much anger towards a product that they feel is inferior to theirs.
    1. itsTrentB's Avatar
      itsTrentB -
      Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
      What the hell is wrong with you. Apple REPLACES a $600 product because of a tiny microscopic scratch that a handful of users are whining about, and that is your conclusion?
      What's wrong with me? Nothing at all. Cuz it's the truth. Apple is great but what's wrong here is they ship out a billion half *** paint job iPhones with scuffs on them before you even open the box. They knew this was going to be a problem before they shipped out the phones. They had to test the phones right? That's not really the point that bothers me. What bothers me is their response to the issue like its the user at fault for the scratches when they barely took it out the box. PipeBomb.

      Like TechnoUniversity mentioned, NO BRAND NEW $600 phone should come out the box scratched. NO EXCUSE