• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Black iPhone 5 Anodized Aluminum Reportedly Prone to Scratches


    After the iPhone 5 announcement, one of the early concerns of many people was how well the anodized aluminum back and edges of the black iPhone 5 would hold up over time. Since the material was different than that of the previous iPhones, many consumers were unsure of how they felt about the news. Now that the iPhone 5 has been publicly release, several reviews on the web and customers have noted wear around the edges just after a short amount of early usage. The folks over at Pocket-Lint mentioned the following in their review:

    Originally Posted by :
    Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.
    Another person on the Overclockers forum didnít cut any corners and instead used some keys and a SIM card tray pin to the back only to notice the results found in the image above. It should be noted that purposely scratching your iPhone will lead some damage regardless but using your device daily will generally cause some wear and tear. The image does make the scratching look a bit extreme but it is better to be safe than sorry.

    For those of you who are concerned with such issues, you may want to keep an eye out before you find a few unwanted scuffs on your new iPhone 5 and for those of you who havenít gotten an iPhone 5 yet but plan to, you may want to go case shopping sooner rather than later to keep your device well protected once it's in your hands.

    Source: Pocket-Lint, Overclockers (forum)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Black iPhone 5 Anodized Aluminum Reportedly Prone to Scratches started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      I hope Apple learns from painted metal..no no NO. I don't want to get my new iPhone and have scuffs or scratches..nope sure don't! The phone looks great but not if its scratched and scuffed. Im not paying good money for a beat up phone. Now what? I doubt they will change anything about the manufacturing process. What would they do about the millions of phones that are already in the hands of users? Another free bumper? Booo! One trend im noting about iPhone launches. The phones overall are pretty sweet..yet there is always a big snag..with the 4 and 4S it was the glass breaking issue and loss of signal with death grip. With the iPhone 5 its the scratches and scuffs on the aluminum band and back..hope they figure it out.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Sounds like they've sacrificed quality of materials over the look of the device.
    1. wmtj's Avatar
      wmtj -
      It doesn't look to be Hard Coat Anodize. If so the "build-up" is light and not to mil standards this is what happens. When you have millions of phones to anodize there will be issues depending upon the standard used. This is a consumer product therefore to keep costs down it had to be anodized at this level. Which is impressive none the less. If you want better quality, do what I'm going to do.... disassemble, strip, hard coat anodize, and then reassemble. Depending upon the company the black will even be darker.
    1. jpbl1976's Avatar
      jpbl1976 -
      Since I'm an "every other" iPhone updater, I hope Apple re-works the process for the iPhone 5s (if that's what they call the next one). I'm the sort of gadget owner who really gets bothered by these things.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Do we have any info on the white/silver iPhone as to what scratches will be less noticeable?
    1. jrhudson's Avatar
      jrhudson -
      Meh, cmon lifeproof release the iphone 5 case already!
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Soon they said.
    1. idkanymore's Avatar
      idkanymore -
      I honestly couldn't care less
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Yet another reason the iPhone 5 is trash.
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      This is why I got a white one lol ;-) edges and sides are raw metal. Plus I have a case for mine too.
    1. 929's Avatar
      929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Sounds like they've sacrificed quality of materials over the look of the device.
      unless you want a heavy cast iron back, can't say i'm surprised it's painted black.
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      I went case less on my 4s. Case the iPhone 5 up. I got a white one as well. Still weird how light it is.
    1. budsalinger's Avatar
      budsalinger -
      Not to be a complete tool, but Apple figured it out a long time ago. None of these issues have stopped the iPhone from selling in record numbers every time. They figured out that they really needn't do anything except give a free bumper which retails for $30 but costs $1.25 to make. They make their money and don't care about the small details. Having said that, I cannot wait to get my iPhone 5. If I'm lucky enough to get one without scuffs I guarantee it will be dropped within 2 weeks and I'll put plenty of my own scuffs on it. I won't whine. You all can do what you want.

      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I hope Apple learns from painted metal..no no NO. I don't want to get my new iPhone and have scuffs or scratches..nope sure don't! The phone looks great but not if its scratched and scuffed. Im not paying good money for a beat up phone. Now what? I doubt they will change anything about the manufacturing process. What would they do about the millions of phones that are already in the hands of users? Another free bumper? Booo! One trend im noting about iPhone launches. The phones overall are pretty sweet..yet there is always a big snag..with the 4 and 4S it was the glass breaking issue and loss of signal with death grip. With the iPhone 5 its the scratches and scuffs on the aluminum band and back..hope they figure it out.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      Yet another reason the iPhone 5 is trash.
      Oh? Give us a few other (valid) reasons to back your claim.
    1. one_crazy_dude's Avatar
      one_crazy_dude -
      Why I invests in these



      Not really fond of the front protector but I love the sides and back.
    1. iYeow's Avatar
      iYeow -
      Glad i ordered a White iphone, less noticeable.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Quote Originally Posted by one_crazy_dude View Post
      Why I invests in these



      Not really fond of the front protector but I love the sides and back.
      That's great for when the phone arrives with chips/scratches in the box!!
    1. SneakyFox's Avatar
      SneakyFox -
      Quote Originally Posted by one_crazy_dude View Post
      Why I invests in these

      [photo]

      Not really fond of the front protector but I love the sides and back.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but I can see those protect the front, back AND sides... But not the chamfered edges (Which I'd consider to be inbetween the front/back/sides. The reflective/shiny diagonal-cut edge is what seems to be a problem area and I dont see how the Bodyguardz counter that, as the protective material stops before the champer. ?_? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

      Edit: Went on the BG website and looked at the high-res photos of their iPhone 5 skin. I think I'm right in saying that yes they DO offer good protection, however they don't cover all 100% of the exterior, the chamfered edges are seemingly left bare because [and understandably] any skin is pretty much not going to be able to cover small and precise angles like that, there would be way too much peeling and loose areas etc etc
    1. Fender's Avatar
      Fender -
      This was actually a HUGE consideration as to why I wanted, and subsequently got, the white iP5. My concern didn't stem from Apple but from having previous devices/items that boasted a coated metal ANYTHING. The black on black is a very sexy look but I knew the first time I saw silver scratches on the black backing I would have a total BF. I'm thrilled that I stuck with my instincts and I have my gorgeous phone!

      Side note, I will be switching this one out for a new phone as there is some sort of fingerprint sized discoloration behind the screen. I have buffed and buffed and it doesn't come out. It can only be seen when holding the device at an angle but I'll stare at it forever if I don't get it replaced. For what we pay they should come perfect but knowing what goes into these devices I understand that sometimes flukes happen. (My screen issue, not the scratching)
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
      This was actually a HUGE consideration as to why I wanted, and subsequently got, the white iP5. My concern didn't stem from Apple but from having previous devices/items that boasted a coated metal ANYTHING. The black on black is a very sexy look but I knew the first time I saw silver scratches on the black backing I would have a total BF. I'm thrilled that I stuck with my instincts and I have my gorgeous phone!

      Side note, I will be switching this one out for a new phone as there is some sort of fingerprint sized discoloration behind the screen. I have buffed and buffed and it doesn't come out. It can only be seen when holding the device at an angle but I'll stare at it forever if I don't get it replaced. For what we pay they should come perfect but knowing what goes into these devices I understand that sometimes flukes happen. (My screen issue, not the scratching)
      That blows. U have to wait for re up in stock?