• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • GIVEAWAY - Unlocking the iPhone 5


    A few million people got an iPhone 5 this morning.

    We're betting some of you are looking to unlock it - whether for resale value down the road, or to use a foreign SIM in the iPhone already (good luck though - your carrier will need a compatible nano-SIM).

    There's an abundance of sites offering unlocks. Some are legit, some are scams. We have used various ones in the past, and thought we'd share a couple we recommend now since iPhone 5 support has just been added (note - these services unlock other iPhones as well - 3G, 3G[S], 4, 4S).

    Neither of these services require a jailbreak, and both are permanent unlocks (you can update your firmware normally, etc, and your device will still be unlocked).

    iUnloc.kr

    iUnloc.kr is a newer service, but from guys who've been developing for iPhone for a while now. This service is wholly automated, with an emailed response when you're unlocked. Plus their site is pretty.

    They offer a variety of service speeds and prices:
    • 2-5 hour turnaround. on sale for $45.
    • 1 hour turnaround - $55.
    • 24 hour turnaround - $25.

    iUnloc.kr will also be releasing a Cydia app here in the next few days, which you can grab through the ModMyi repo. We'll update here when that's available.

    NegriElectronics.com

    NegriElectronics has been around a long while, and has a reputation of quick customer service and quality products. They sell unlocked phones as a specialty, and their iPhone unlock is quick and effective. You also receive an email when your device is unlocked.

    The iPhone unlock service from NegriElectronics runs $120, but is on sale for $18.50. It is "instant," which is labeled as a 2-3 hour turnaround.

    You're in great hands with either of the above services - ModMyi.com recommends them (we should mention - we don't receive anything in exchange for these reviews, although we did test an unlock to verify it works with each service).

    We're also giving away 10 unlocks - 5 from iUnloc.kr, and 5 from NegriElectronics.com. Use the widget below to gain entries into the raffle, and we'll pick a winner Monday morning!

    This article was originally published in forum thread: GIVEAWAY - Unlocking the iPhone 5 started by Kyle Matthews View original post
    Comments 173 Comments
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
      Our seller does say iPhone 5 on their site, I just had it done if we're talking about the same our seller
      Yes sir. And we are living proof then I guess.
    1. perrycannon's Avatar
      perrycannon -
      I used iunloc.kr, the 24 hour service for $25. This the reply I received from their support.

      "Thank you for contacting us. Apparently, your device is from the JAPAN SOFTBANK Carrier. Is this correct?

      With that said, our service is strictly for iPhone's on the AT&T Carrier as mentioned in several places on the website. Also that we are not responsible for anyone entering in invalid or non-AT&T Carrier IMEI's and do not issue refunds for that reason."

      I am waiting to see if this will carrier unlock my iPhone 4S.
    1. blkcadi's Avatar
      blkcadi -
      ^ sounds to me that it's not going to work and your not going to get a refund either. Sorry.
    1. t3nman's Avatar
      t3nman -
      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      I'm not using that seller, but I have gotten 4 new i5's unlocked since Friday. Huh.
      Hey guys, do you mind adding also the operator when you announce successful i5 unlocks?
      Just wondering if all these are just for AT&T.
      Thanks
    1. perrycannon's Avatar
      perrycannon -
      These unlock services will only work with AT&T iPhones. These services will not work for iPhones from other carriers, such as overseas carriers like SoftBank in Japan. iunloc.kr, will not give a refund. Buyer be aware and read everything on their website and ask questions before giving a payment. The article did not mention these sites will only work with AT&T iPhones, or I missed this important information.

      Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
      ^ sounds to me that it's not going to work and your not going to get a refund either. Sorry.
      Yes you are right they will not give a refund. These services only work with AT&T iPhones.
    1. moveandstore's Avatar
      moveandstore -
      I used the unloc.kr service (I'm on AT&T) and it worked for me. I was skeptical about paying for an unlocking service, since I didn't want to go thru Craigslist or something like that. I know that ModMyi would not endorse someone that is not trustworthy, so I went with this. The service was quicker than I thought (well the confirmation email was in my junk folder and I didn't know till later in the day). I followed the instructions and restored my phone, and I got the congratulation screen in iTunes saying that my phone was unlocked. I put in my cut down overseas card and it worked just fine. (BTW: when I am here in the US, it will be T-Mobile at EDGE speeds. But when I go to Canada, it turns into Rogers at 3G speeds.

      Bottom line, the unloc.kr service worked. My iPhone 5 us unlocked and all I need now is the jailbreak to make it perfect!!!
      Thanks!
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      I just called AT&T and confirmed my iphone 5 is unlocked.
      I used unloc.kr $45
      My service is through AT&T where I bought the phone and it was a locked AT&T iPhone
    1. e10100's Avatar
      e10100 -
      when and how will we know the winners of the contest?
    1. FURBY8704's Avatar
      FURBY8704 -
      i got the denied because i chose the wrong service and so i was refunded. I chose the 24 hours service for $25 but iphone 5 doesnt fall under that service. I was suppose to go for $45 iphone 5 service.

      well i ended going with chronic on twitter for $30

      all is well
    1. perrycannon's Avatar
      perrycannon -
      Quote Originally Posted by FURBY8704 View Post
      i got the denied because i chose the wrong service and so i was refunded. I chose the 24 hours service for $25 but iphone 5 doesnt fall under that service. I was suppose to go for $45 iphone 5 service.

      well i ended going with chronic on twitter for $30

      all is well
      This may be a bad question. How do I contact chronic on twitter. I don't use twitter is there an email or website?
    1. Sniper488's Avatar
      Sniper488 -
      Lol, that's funny, chronic quoted me $50!
      Glad I stuck with unloc.kr
    1. p1mpdog1's Avatar
      p1mpdog1 -
      I used unlockstation.com got my email in about 10 hours and restored my iPhone 5 and it was unlocked!!!!! Got that beautiful message that it was unlocked in iTunes all for $20!! check em out unlockstation.com
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      I am also doing unlocks for 30 dollars usually done with in just a few hours
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
      I am also doing unlocks for 30 dollars usually done with in just a few hours
      Ah.. Everybody's a businessman.. ;-).. Gotta love the 'iWorld'. - Reselling iPhones for more than you paid for them - unlocking "in contract" phones. Capitolism is alive and well.... thank GOODNESS!! Luv it!

      Quote Originally Posted by t3nman View Post
      Hey guys, do you mind adding also the operator when you announce successful i5 unlocks?
      Just wondering if all these are just for AT&T.
      Thanks
      99.8% are for AT&T only. And the new iPhone 5s from Verizon already come unlocked - so no need to pay for an unlock service.
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Ah.. Everybody's a businessman.. ;-).. Gotta love the 'iWorld'. - Reselling iPhones for more than you paid for them - unlocking "in contract" phones. Capitolism is alive and well.... thank GOODNESS!! Luv it!

      99.8% are for AT&T only. And the new iPhone 5s from Verizon already come unlocked - so no need to pay for an unlock service.
      Not exactly Verizon and AT&T versions vary in the frequency bands
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
      Not exactly Verizon and AT&T versions vary in the frequency bands
      Agreed. But that has no bearing on the information I gave the poster. The bands they use uniquely don't have any affect on the need to ability to unlock. Those are entirely different issues from my research. What specifically do you mean?
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Agreed. But that has no bearing on the information I gave the poster. The bands they use uniquely don't have any affect on the need to ability to unlock. Those are entirely different issues from my research. What specifically do you mean?
      No no I get what your saying I am just saying more or less adding people need to research with their provider if they are buying an unlocked phone on which model they need.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      99.8% are for AT&T only. And the new iPhone 5s from Verizon already come unlocked - so no need to pay for an unlock service.
      Here we go with these US centric stats again lol . You know there is a whole world out there besides the carriers in the US right
      A lot of the IMEI sites including the one I use can do carriers from all over the world, Canada, UK, France, Australia and the list goes on. This has been going on for over a year for other carriers. ATT is the fledging of them just starting these official unlocks in April of this year.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Here we go with these US centric stats again lol . You know there is a whole world out there besides the carriers in the US right
      A lot of the IMEI sites including the one I use can do carriers from all over the world, Canada, UK, France, Australia and the list goes on. This has been going on for over a year for other carriers. ATT is the fledging of them just starting these official unlocks in April of this year.
      But there ISN'T a flood of world CDMA carriers, Simon. That's the point. CDMA (Verizon, Sprint in American) is unique to this side of the pond. The rest of the world is GSM.. The context of my answer was CDMA phones.