• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft


    With the iPhone 5 now reaching customers on the first day of availability, the New York Police Department has a large presence today at Apple's retail locations in New York for the purpose of helping new iPhone 5 owners register their freshly-purchased device.

    The goal, naturally, is to help cut down on iPhone 5 theft. Dubbed the "Anti-Apple Picking Campaign," the NYPD is enthusiastically backing this free service which makes every iPhone registered capable of being traced by its serial number (which is stored in a database along with the device owner's name, phone number, and other pertinent user data.

    "The theft of Apple phones and other hand-held devices drove the spike in robberies and larceny this year," says Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. "Individuals alert to their surroundings are less likely to become victims, and Operation ID will help those whose property is lost or stolen to get it back."

    Members of the public are invited to bring their portable electronic devices to NYPD personnel stationed at any Apple retail store, and the other locations, to register their devices. Such valuables may also be registered at any time through the crime prevention officer at any police station.
    The NYPD says they even have officers using iPhones with iCloud to help theft victims find their phones.

    According to details contained in today's announcement, the NYPD will be at the city's Apple Stores for the time being, in addition to "select Verizon and AT&T locations."

    Source: The Gothamist
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. jusasb's Avatar
      jusasb -
      hopefully this will make theft of iDevices go down. Does anyone know when we want to register the valuables would we need to show proof of purchase?
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      With all the images out there of a true NYPD vehicle, you would think the writer of this article would have done just a bit more work to get that image.
      Fail.
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
      With all the images out there of a true NYPD vehicle, you would think the writer of this article would have done just a bit more work to get that image.
      Fail.
      Why don't you write the article your self or link a better picture? Be productive, not an arsehole.

      As for the article thats cool! I'd deffinetly register mine.
    1. rob_squared's Avatar
      rob_squared -
      I think we should all take a moment to congratulate the NYPD for solving all other forms of street crime.
    1. xhazex9x's Avatar
      xhazex9x -
      damn guess i have to find a new source of income now
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
      Why don't you write the article your self or link a better picture? Be productive, not an arsehole.

      As for the article thats cool! I'd deffinetly register mine.
      Not sure why I offended you, or why you feel the need to name call, but here.

      It was not that hard. Now go home and get your f#&kin shine box !

      Photobucket

      Photobucket

      Photobucket
    1. amoamare's Avatar
      amoamare -
      What a waste of tax payers money.
      Sorry but I think they have better things they should be more worried about.
      If it's such a big deal maybe Apple should pay more money in better security guards instead of wasting good tax payers dollars, obviously Apple doesn't seem to care and I dont believe it should be the local law department's job or priority.
    1. Trooper Sam's Avatar
      Trooper Sam -
      NYPD is doing this to reduce their workload, and to be able to increase their recovery of stolen iDevices. By being there to register devices as soon as people buy them, they can increase their chances of actually being able to help victims of theft. That's one place I can say that law enforcement is doing a good job.
    1. mustangfrnk's Avatar
      mustangfrnk -
      "Individuals alert to their surroundings are less likely to become victims"
      That's a notion anyone with common sense should practice, especially with high end phones such as an iPhone.
    1. Cokeman's Avatar
      Cokeman -
      Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
      What a waste of tax payers money.
      Sorry but I think they have better things they should be more worried about.
      If it's such a big deal maybe Apple should pay more money in better security guards instead of wasting good tax payers dollars, obviously Apple doesn't seem to care and I dont believe it should be the local law department's job or priority.
      Lucky for those iPhone buyers they pay taxes, which in turn pays for the law enforcement. So how is this wasting tax payer's money? If you want to talk about wasting, next time you see the cops chatting it up on the freeways. Stop and tell them to get back to work. Let them know you are tired of them driving the cop cars home & us paying for their gas.
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      Hey! Gimmie yo iPhone dawg!
    1. hitman10's Avatar
      hitman10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
      Not sure why I offended you, or why you feel the need to name call, but here.

      It was not that hard. Now go home and get your f#&kin shine box !
      Way to prove my point! Thanks buddy!
    1. riverratt's Avatar
      riverratt -
      Well kudos to the NYPD.
      Nice to hear that somewhere on this great continent cops are being cops because up here in vancouver and district B.c. Canada its the cops you have to worry about mugging you for your idevices!
    1. ashleybrown's Avatar
      ashleybrown -
      Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
      damn guess i have to find a new source of income now
      LOL!! better luck next time

      This is indeed a great news, hope they will do it for all kinds of phone not just with iPhone 5 in this way we can lower the rate of such crimes.