• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Improved Voice Command Reportedly Coming with iOS 5


    On the heels of Apple's confirmation that the future of its iOS will be on display at the WWDC, which commences this year on June 6th at San Francisco's Moscone West, there is rampant speculation about what the refreshed operating system will serve up. On Tuesday, sources close to the development of iOS 5 say Apple is aiming to drastically improve upon voice commands.

    Last year, through the acquisition of Siri, Apple gained access to groundbreaking technologies so intelligent that, if implemented via iDevices, could make our favorite Apple products like the iPhone vastly "smarter" than any previous model. Siri, after all, has pioneered applications that enable users to deliver voice commands that prompt the app to do the research or other legwork required to complete a particular task.

    The use of Siriís artificial intelligence and assistance technology is said to be deeply integrated into the OS for all the different services offered.
    Given the supposed robust slate of improvements planned for iOS 5, the new operating system may be demoed in June but not actually released until fall. Sources speaking on a basis of anonymity with Tech Crunch on Friday revealed that iOS 5 will definitely not be released during summer. Among the major tweaks coming with iOS 5 are cloud-based features for online storage of music, photos and video.

    While many are already speculating the iPhone 5 will debut at the same time as iOS 5 in fall, at this time there is really no concrete evidence to otherwise suggest that Apple will stray from tradition and not release the 5th generation iPhone in June at WWDC.

    Source: Tech Crunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Improved Voice Command Reportedly Coming with iOS 5 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 37 Comments
    1. fmlouder's Avatar
      fmlouder -
      o great there adding skynet on my phone i dont want that.....
    1. Hyperextension's Avatar
      Hyperextension -
      I can honestly say I have NEVER used the Voice Command on my iPhone4. Sure when I first got the phone I played around and tried it, but on a day-to-day basis, Voice Command does not offer me any gain. It is a cool feature, but for me, that is all it is...cool.
    1. thevmax's Avatar
      thevmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by fmlouder View Post
      o great there adding skynet on my phone i dont want that.....
      Skynet will take over...welcome to the matrix
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
      I can honestly say I have NEVER used the Voice Command on my iPhone4. Sure when I first got the phone I played around and tried it, but on a day-to-day basis, Voice Command does not offer me any gain. It is a cool feature, but for me, that is all it is...cool.
      Do you never call anyone while you're in the car? I find it MUCH easier to voice dial than fumble through my contacts while trying to pay attention to the road.
    1. babyblue_pimp's Avatar
      babyblue_pimp -
      I use voice command almost everyday between the gym and selecting music in my car. Its about time apple stepped up, the android voice command system is much better
    1. HappyTroller's Avatar
      HappyTroller -
      Voice activator FTW lol
    1. letmusicring's Avatar
      letmusicring -
      The main thing stopping me from using Voice Command is that fact that it takes to long to start. Press and hold home, once the screen shows, wait a few seconds, then speak. To me, it takes too long to be useful.
    1. Mookest's Avatar
      Mookest -
      Apple used to be the kings of voice commands. I just wanna be able to text with voice. Wow the trouble that would save me.
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
      Apple used to be the kings of voice commands. I just wanna be able to text with voice. Wow the trouble that would save me.
      Dragon Dictation?
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Not the Terminator references again!
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      cant wait sounds like ios5 is gonna be a powerhouse which probably means the 3gs will be cut off lol
    1. iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
      iNT3Rv3NTiONZz -
      Voice control IMO is fail


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. AUZambo's Avatar
      AUZambo -
      Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
      Dragon Dictation?
      Vlingo is better, IMO.

      *EDIT: I use Vlingo to find places on the built in maps app while on the road and it works like a charm. I just tried it with texting and apparently to use Vling to compose texts & emails requires purchasing it for $6.99 for each function, or $9.99 to be able to do both.
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      Vlingo is better, IMO.

      *EDIT: I use Vlingo to find places on the built in maps app while on the road and it works like a charm. I just tried it with texting and apparently to use Vling to compose texts & emails requires purchasing it for $6.99 for each function, or $9.99 to be able to do both.
      $6.99 for Vlingo speech to SMS is the best purchase I've ever made. I used it for voice dial, web searches and FB updates at first then realized it was a really accurate app and upgraded a week later with no regrets.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      I think the iPhone 5 will come out a little later than usual. Hopefully so they can get stuff like this running smoothly on the device and use LTE! I also think that if Apple is implementing new voice command software into the i5 that it'll take it to a whole new level and once again beat out the competition.
    1. Turb02's Avatar
      Turb02 -
      TTS would be boss if it was integrated into the native SMS app. I dont like having to respond to a SMS from Dragon Dictation.

      Id like to see Swype on IOS, in the native SMS app.
    1. BumbleBeez's Avatar
      BumbleBeez -
      The problem with dragon dictation is, you still have to launch the app, speak, copy, and paste it in the text reply ... and while addmittidly not taking as long as typing a text message, still takes my eyes off the road, which I don't like.

      Does Vlingo work right in the message app? Or is the same copy/paste premise.

      We have the iphones and also a droid and the new Thunderbolt, and the voice to text app in andriod is far superior in application, though sometimes it "hears" things oddly. LOL
    1. csglinux's Avatar
      csglinux -
      Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeez View Post
      The problem with dragon dictation is, you still have to launch the app, speak, copy, and paste it in the text reply ... and while addmittidly not taking as long as typing a text message, still takes my eyes off the road, which I don't like.

      Does Vlingo work right in the message app? Or is the same copy/paste premise.

      We have the iphones and also a droid and the new Thunderbolt, and the voice to text app in andriod is far superior in application, though sometimes it "hears" things oddly. LOL
      You can launch the app using chpwn's Voice Activator. You can even launch from outside the lockscreen (as long as there's no passcode lock currently active) by adding an "Open URL" action like "dictation:" (For those apps that don't have CFBundleURLSchemes defined, you'll need to manually edit the app's info.plist file using iFile or vi, etc., and then reboot the phone.) But you're right about the copying and pasting - not a good idea to do that while driving...
    1. Hyperextension's Avatar
      Hyperextension -
      Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
      Do you never call anyone while you're in the car? I find it MUCH easier to voice dial than fumble through my contacts while trying to pay attention to the road.
      Much easier and way quicker to use Click2Call.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Now this is something I'd like to see, turning a smartphone into a geniusphone