• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Rumored to Have Replaced Audience Noise Suppression Technology in Next-Gen iPhone


    In a recently released note, a company by the name of Audience said Apple is “unlikely” to enable its noise suppression IP in the upcoming iPhone, causing shares of the audio technology company to drop over 50% in after-market trading. The Cupertino California company previously employed Audience’s processor in previous iterations of its popular handset, including the iPhone 4, which featured a dedicated separate noise suppression processor. Most recently, the A5 SoC used in the iPhone 4S integrated Audience’s second-generation earSmart voice and audio processor IP to optimize the voice recognition capabilities of software such as Apple’s Siri virtual assistant.

    Audience previously developed the next-generation IP and licensed it to Apple in March. One thing to note here though is that the agreement doesn’t require Apple and its subsidiaries to use the patents if it chooses not to. From the recently released note:

    Audience now believes that it is unlikely that the OEM will enable Audience's processor IP in its next generation mobile phone. Audience is not aware of any intended changes by this OEM to its use of Audience's processors or processor IP in prior generations of the OEM's mobile phones.
    Since Apple was Audience’s top customer, it’s decision to not use the patents will affect the company’s bottom line as no royalties will be paid out. Audience President and CEO, Peter Santos, had the following to say regarding the matter: “While we are disappointed by this development, we are confident in the diversification of our business and see sustainable growth in 2012 and beyond. As such we are raising guidance for the third quarter of 2012. Looking ahead, we believe our expansion into adjacent markets such as Smart TVs, automotive, and notebooks, will continue to bring growth in 2013 and beyond."

    As of right now, it hasn’t been made clear what audio processing technology Apple has decided to choose over Audience’s solution for its upcoming devices. We’ll find out in time though as the next-generation iPhone is set to be revealed on September 12th.

    Source: MarketWatch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Rumored to Have Replaced Audience Noise Suppression Technology in Next-Gen iPhone started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      So in other words you're saying that the iPhone 5 Siri will suck beyond all recognition.
    1. regkilla's Avatar
      regkilla -
      Audience wont get their audience
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
      Audience wont get their audience
      Lol!
    1. docmagoo2's Avatar
      docmagoo2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      So in other words you're saying that the iPhone 5 Siri will suck beyond all recognition.
      Not necessarily, knowing apple they've probably developed their own, maps being one instance....
    1. scottjl's Avatar
      scottjl -
      funny, i didn't see that comment anywhere at all.
    1. joseprofet's Avatar
      joseprofet -
      I'd say buy in now.... It's not official that they didn't include it yet and if it's found to be included after release you've doubled your money.
    1. chriskaraokeman's Avatar
      chriskaraokeman -
      Apple have bought Tom Toms maps, how many times do i have to repeat it
    1. cpotoso's Avatar
      cpotoso -
      The lesson for all sort of developers out there: if you go to bed with apple you will get wet.

      a) If you produce some utility app that is very successful, next IOS will have an apple app that copied yours and you will be done with (and probably even removed from the app store because of "duplicate functionality with core ios services").

      b) If you make some hardware/software for an apple device, sooner or later you will be leapfrogged by apple and your business is over.

      Sure, you do get a temporary boost by selling to apple (and this may be good enough to get rich if you are the CEO or funding father of the company), but sooner or later you are done with.
    1. Jdot1224's Avatar
      Jdot1224 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      The lesson for all sort of developers out there: if you go to bed with apple you will get wet.

      a) If you produce some utility app that is very successful, next IOS will have an apple app that copied yours and you will be done with (and probably even removed from the app store because of "duplicate functionality with core ios services").

      b) If you make some hardware/software for an apple device, sooner or later you will be leapfrogged by apple and your business is over.

      Sure, you do get a temporary boost by selling to apple (and this may be good enough to get rich if you are the CEO or funding father of the company), but sooner or later you are done with.
      Great points! I agree with you.
    1. 1shuttle1's Avatar
      1shuttle1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Not necessarily, knowing apple they've probably developed their own, maps being one instance....

      That's funny. You do know Apple didn't develop a map program, they bought Tom Tom. They didn't develop a voice recognition system. They bought Siri. Nothing wrong with it. But give credit where credit's due. I can see where it can be confusing because when they get on stage, they present it as if they did develop it.
    1. trek-life's Avatar
      trek-life -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
      That's funny. You do know Apple didn't develop a map program, they bought Tom Tom. They didn't develop a voice recognition system. They bought Siri. Nothing wrong with it. But give credit where credit's due. I can see where it can be confusing because when they get on stage, they present it as if they did develop it.
      Agreed til the end. They definitely don't hide the fact that they purchased it. The presentation of Siri directly mentioned that they bought the company initially.

      Speaking to the other points. They also still allow the competing apps to exist and be purchased. So it's not like they stifle competition or developers.

      I'm not sure why it's super cool in the tech world to make everything Apple does some evil plot to destroy the world. But it definitely is the new hot opinion right now
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      The lesson for all sort of developers out there: if you go to bed with apple you will get wet.
      Diversification normally solves that problem.
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
      That's funny. You do know Apple didn't develop a map program, they bought Tom Tom. They didn't develop a voice recognition system. They bought Siri. Nothing wrong with it. But give credit where credit's due. I can see where it can be confusing because when they get on stage, they present it as if they did develop it.
      They actually bought companies that had the map programming technologies and developed it further from there. They are using tom-tom and other companies to supply the maps. Those are 2 totally different things.
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
      Not necessarily, knowing apple they've probably developed their own, maps being one instance....
      Easier said than done with all the patents running around. Why do you think Apple iPhone contain a majority of other companies chipset? Audience for sure have their product patent, so it won't be easy just to copy them. Fortunately we know Audience is not the only company that produces sound supression hardware, so finding a replacement would not be hard. As any company would happily hop on the iPhone bandwagon.

      The map software software was bought then modified for their own use to avoid patent issues. Apple did not create their own from scratch.