• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Reports Claim Apple Dropping Samsung as Memory Supplier During First iPhone 5 Run


    Reuters is reporting Apple may have dropped Samsung as a memory supplier for the first run of next-generation iPhones.

    Reuter’s unnamed industry supply chain sources claim Apple will continue to use DRAM and NAND flash modules made by Samsung in future products, but have drastically cut orders from Samsung leading up to the next-generation iPhone’s launch. The Korean Economic Daily in a separate report claims Apple dropped Samsung as a memory supplier for the iPhone launch in a couple weeks, replacing the units with modules from Toshiba, Eplida Memory, and SK Hynix.

    Originally Posted by :
    "Samsung is still in the list of initial memory chip suppliers (for new iPhones). But Apple orders have been trending down and Samsung is making up for the reduced order from others, notably Samsung's handset business," — Reuters Source.
    The source claims the move isn’t meant to send a message to Samsung, or cut the company out because of their recent legal troubles, but is rather an effort by Apple to diversify their supply chain. Speculation that Apple would drop the company as a supplier has taken its toll on Samsung in the stock market, but the endgame for Apple is likely a negotiating tactic in an effort to squeak cheaper parts out of Samsung.

    Apple isn’t dropping Samsung as a supplier any time soon, remember they’re still the only supplier of Retina displays for the third-generation iPad, and manufacture a litany of other components for Apple.

    Source: Reuters and The Korean Economic Daily [via AppleInsider]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Reports Claim Apple Dropping Samsung as Memory Supplier During First iPhone 5 Run started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 28 Comments
    1. NakedFaerie's Avatar
      NakedFaerie -
      Thats how much a-holes Apple are. Samsung make most of the iDevices and they sue them for copying.
      I hope Samsung halt all production of Apple products then see what Apple do. They will have to go cry somewhere else to get their parts.

      Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you"...

      So if it wasn't for Samsung then Apple wouldn't have an iPhone would they.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Samsung make most of the iDevices and they sue them for copying.
      I hope Samsung halt all production of Apple products then see what Apple do. They will have to go cry somewhere else to get their parts.

      Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you"...

      So if it wasn't for Samsung then Apple wouldn't have an iPhone would they.
      I would have to say that apple is the hand that feeds Samsung. Sense apple has to purchase these parts they are a customer of Samsung. So ask yourself this question where would Samsung be with out apple buying there parts?

      There are other part companies but only one apple
    1. MatrixTech's Avatar
      MatrixTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Thats how much a-holes Apple are. Samsung make most of the iDevices and they sue them for copying.
      I hope Samsung halt all production of Apple products then see what Apple do. They will have to go cry somewhere else to get their parts.

      Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you"...

      So if it wasn't for Samsung then Apple wouldn't have an iPhone would they.

      Not very accurate, Apple has already aquired several flash rom memory companies in order to facilitate some of the manufacturing in-house to keep costs down..Ultimatly they both need each other at this point..And it's not just Apple sueing Samsung..this has gone both ways for quite some time, they are both patent infringement trolls...But you can't just blame Apple
    1. iPhonePutz's Avatar
      iPhonePutz -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      They will have to go cry somewhere else...
      I wish you'd go cry somewhere else...
    1. HeliPilot's Avatar
      HeliPilot -
      @NakedFaerie, do you understand corporate economics at all? The only reason Samsung was the original supplier in the first place was because they came in with the lowest bid. If Texas Instruments, Micron, or Billy Bobs Chip Emporium etc. had the lowest original bid they would have been the primary supplier.
      Just because Apple wants to diversify the supply chain has nothing to do with wanting to "bite" anyone, it has more to do with ensuring the parts will be available at a lower cost when they are needed.
      Now on the matter of Samsung stopping production? Not a chance in hell, the stock holders would form a lynch mob and go straight to Korea. Besides, business is business, both Apple and Samsung know this. Something you obviously have no clue about.
    1. MatrixTech's Avatar
      MatrixTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      I would have to say that apple is the hand that feeds Samsung. Sense apple has to purchase these parts they are a customer of Samsung. So ask yourself this question where would Samsung be with out apple buying there parts?

      There are other part companies but only one apple
      Agreed..

      Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
      @NakedFaerie, do you understand corporate economics at all? The only reason Samsung was the original supplier in the first place was because they came in with the lowest bid. If Texas Instruments, Micron, or Billy Bobs Chip Emporium etc. had the lowest original bid they would have been the primary supplier.
      Just because Apple wants to diversify the supply chain has nothing to do with wanting to "bite" anyone, it has more to do with ensuring the parts will be available at a lower cost when they are needed.
      Now on the matter of Samsung stopping production? Not a chance in hell, the stock holders would form a lynch mob and go straight to Korea. Besides, business is business, both Apple and Samsung know this. Something you obviously have no clue about.
      +1
    1. mindblown's Avatar
      mindblown -
      come on guys dont feed the troll, nakedfaeri is still salty because samsung lost the trial
    1. xclusiveiphone's Avatar
      xclusiveiphone -
      Ah the infamous troll known as NakedFairie heating up the debate again with his normal routine of bashing apple. This guy needs a life and should be banned from this forum.
    1. rabbit_'s Avatar
      rabbit_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
      I wish you'd go cry somewhere else...
      +1
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
      I wish you'd go cry somewhere else...
      +1
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
      I wish you'd go cry somewhere else...
      Hahaha classic
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      As with all "reports" posted here, take it with a grain of salt.
      Unless Apple can get a cheaper supplier that can also keep up with demand they aren't gonna drop Samsung.
      Samsung are simply too good at producing so many components for Apple for them to drop them without effecting the quality of their devices or supply.

      I wish this constant childish, uninformed, stupid bickering from the crApple and Samsuck camps would just f**k off. Thinking either company is infallible in anything is wrong, stupid and ignorant.
    1. scottjl's Avatar
      scottjl -
      i don't understand why apple haters even hang out on here, unless it's just that they have no life and are bored and want to make everyone as miserable as they are. this is a pro apple site. expect pro apple messages and pro apple opinions.

      my life is way too busy for me to waste time on an android site slamming them (not that i even care to, android is ok, it's just not for me, i'm quite happy with iOS).
    1. rcm's Avatar
      rcm -
      in ios some of my favorite apps are Google search and Chrome, which are made by Google, which makes Android, which is partners with Samsung, which is Apple's biggest rival, the circle of life.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
      i don't understand why apple haters even hang out on here, unless it's just that they have no life and are bored and want to make everyone as miserable as they are. this is a pro apple site. expect pro apple messages and pro apple opinions.

      my life is way too busy for me to waste time on an android site slamming them (not that i even care to, android is ok, it's just not for me, i'm quite happy with iOS).
      The problem is not pro Apple or "hater". It's the blind, unwavering, rose tinted, apple sh*ts rainbows and is mana from heaven, mentality that people have and are 100% anti anything else as if Hitler created it and anyone who has any form of negative opinion about anything Apple must be a "hater".

      I'm pro Apple, but I'm not an idiot.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      The problem is not pro Apple or "hater". It's the blind, unwavering, rose tinted, apple sh*ts rainbows and is mana from heaven, mentality that people have and are 100% anti anything else as if Hitler created it and anyone who has any form of negative opinion about anything Apple must be a "hater".

      I'm pro Apple, but I'm not an idiot.
      Reports are written by people, people have opinions, people are bias toward those opinions.

      All he was saying is why sit and complain. On android sites its the same thing about how they are Better about how there numbers are better this that and the other.

      If your a republican stay out of democrat forums, cause guess what the news will all be pro what ever the site Is.

      This site is pro apple so of course the articles will be like that. Don't see anything wrong with being a fan of a product anymore than being a fan of a sports team.
    1. Tperry's Avatar
      Tperry -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      I would have to say that apple is the hand that feeds Samsung. Sense apple has to purchase these parts they are a customer of Samsung. So ask yourself this question where would Samsung be with out apple buying there parts?

      There are other part companies but only one apple
      Same place they are now. Apple is a small part of Samsung's overall income.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
      Same place they are now. Apple is a small part of Samsung's overall income.
      With the amount of iPhones sold and made I find that hard to believe.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      With the amount of iPhones sold and made I find that hard to believe.
      With the amount of other non apple devices Samsung provides for I don't.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      With the amount of other non apple devices Samsung provides for I don't.
      Either way you look at it apple is a big chunk of that and is a hit on there pocket book. No way am I saying they would go bankrupt or anything but a client that size could be a big hit