• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Possible Next-gen iPhone Logic Board Shows A6 Chip


    The next generation iPhone is expected to launch on September 21 of this year and bring along some important redesigns, such as a possible four-inch screen with a better-quality display, smaller 8-9 pin dock connector, and two-tone rear cover. Today, pictures have surfaced showing what appears to be an A6 chip, which would be one step above that of the current A5 and A5X chips found in the iPhone 4S and the new iPad.

    The picture has been, according to 9to5Mac, “enhanced with Photoshop” by the owner of the photograph to help make the text on the chip more visible. That being said, it’s somewhat difficult to take this image to heart; however, it does seem very likely that the next generation iPhone will have a better chip than the current iPhone as Apple has always upgraded the chip in each iPhone release.

    It’s not known what kind of power this supposed A6 chip might have under the hood in terms of cores and clock speed, but it will likely be dual core in terms of CPU and GPU contrary to the new iPad, which has a dual core CPU and quad core GPU. Considering that the next generation iPhone may have a slightly larger display than the current 3.5-inch display, it might not be a bad idea for Apple to bump the GPU up a bit in terms of power because the additional pixels will demand more power. This power is equally demanded with the GPU-intensive features of iOS 6 such as 3D maps.

    The extra processing power may also be required for any additional hardware in the next-generation iPhone that has yet to be brought out into the light.

    Sources: 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Possible Next-gen iPhone Logic Board Shows A6 Chip started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 18 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Ya know it doesn't matter what goes into these chips. As long as Apple put a new label on that piece of silicon fanboys won't freak out.

      Btw, showing a 3D image (ie new iOS maps) does not create more pixels... Not sure what you mean by that.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Ya know it doesn't matter what goes into these chips. As long as Apple put a new label on that piece of silicon fanboys won't freak out.

      Btw, showing a 3D image (ie new iOS maps) does not create more pixels... Not sure what you mean by that.
      More pixels was a direct response to the possible 4 inch screen. The current screen is only 3.5 inches.

      Also Apple has a good record of always releasing a stronger chip every time a new label is put on it. Whether it has more cores or just more power... they only change the label if it is truthfully different. So I don't see why you said that.
    1. whenyourmad's Avatar
      whenyourmad -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Ya know it doesn't matter what goes into these chips. As long as Apple put a new label on that piece of silicon fanboys won't freak out.

      Btw, showing a 3D image (ie new iOS maps) does not create more pixels... Not sure what you mean by that.
      If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it. Saying it just makes humanity ******** with people like you. And dont say its an opinion because it not.
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      Possible, however, I don't think Apple will jump on quad core until IOS 7. It's just not like them to take a leap into boundaries that are still unscathed.
      e.g 4G network
    1. chad daddy's Avatar
      chad daddy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
      Possible, however, I don't think Apple will jump on quad core until IOS 7. It's just not like them to take a leap into boundaries that are still unscathed.
      e.g 4G network
      Agreed especially since they like there battery to last, dont see a quad core coming into play, 4g bust the balls enough when it comes to battery life.
      Apple is pissed they gotta put 4g into there new device (I wouldnt buy it if it didnt)
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      Quote Originally Posted by chad daddy View Post
      Agreed especially since they like there battery to last, dont see a quad core coming into play, 4g bust the balls enough when it comes to battery life.
      Apple is pissed they gotta put 4g into there new device (I wouldnt buy it if it didnt)
      Right? I would not be surprised if the iP5 was to not have 4g.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by whenyourmad View Post
      If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it. Saying it just makes humanity ******** with people like you. And dont say its an opinion because it not.
      You should practice what you preach.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by whenyourmad View Post
      If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it. Saying it just makes humanity ******** with people like you. And dont say its an opinion because it not.
      A world where people only say nice things is not a world I want to be a part of.... Do you?

      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      More pixels was a direct response to the possible 4 inch screen. The current screen is only 3.5 inches.

      Also Apple has a good record of always releasing a stronger chip every time a new label is put on it. Whether it has more cores or just more power... they only change the label if it is truthfully different. So I don't see why you said that.
      Now that you've edited the article it makes more sense. It had sounded like you were saying 3D graphics make more pixels.
      I was also referring the unwarranted anger when Apple released the "A5X" and not the "A6". People got mad over a label without knowing or understanding what the new chip could even do. Apple could put an 8-core chip in the next iPhone but if they dont call it A6 people will be unnecessarily pissy
    1. jmillermcp's Avatar
      jmillermcp -
      "because Apple is notorious for upgrading the chips starting with the iPhone before upgrading the hardware in the iPod touch and iPad"

      If memory serves me right A4 was in the iPad before iPhone 4 and the A5 was in the iPad 2 before the iPhone 4S.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
      Possible, however, I don't think Apple will jump on quad core until IOS 7. It's just not like them to take a leap into boundaries that are still unscathed.
      e.g 4G network
      Before using "big" words, I suggest you actually understand them.
    1. petrusk's Avatar
      petrusk -
      I wonder how the battery will be if they up the pixels in the display...
    1. n0id's Avatar
      n0id -
      I wouldn't say apple would be pissed with 4G eating the battery, they just need to keep up with the technology with the massive demand for Internet speed, with the quad-core, I don't see that coming until iPhone 6, hopefully by that time some company will discovery a thin power cell that will last all day without a charge, Im praying on that.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      I just want to say I told a kid it was going to be an a6 or a5x and he doubted me for no reason..

      I guarantee a quad core why? The a5x is quad core why not implement technology already created by then into their own technology (worded like that because someone will think this would give an excuse too Samsung for copying their tech IT'S NOT!)

      Also whoever thinks apple doesn't make great chips seriously get to know your info apple is top of the charts in their release for their chips power! Sure someone surpasses it because apple updates it once a year! However apple still make great products. PLEASE I BEG OF YOU GUYS! Get to know your info!!!
    1. jdogg84's Avatar
      jdogg84 -
      Fake. Pixelated images are so last century!!
    1. jwil736's Avatar
      jwil736 -
      I could've sworn there was just an article with a5x logic board....
    1. Illmatic636's Avatar
      Illmatic636 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      Before using "big" words, I suggest you actually understand them.
      Before you begin to believe that your so smart and feel the need to correct people on public forums, I suggest you get a life and stay on the topic of this conversation. Your input has zero value in this thread.
      The word should have been unsettled. But the people in the topic knew what I was talking about.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      It will be bigger and better from what Modmyi articles have stated..can't wait!
    1. Memo2001's Avatar
      Memo2001 -
      these chips arent so important for me
      i see that there wont be much deferences between the two chips