• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Is Google Wallet Ripping Off iOS 6 Passbook?


    In June, Apple unveiled Passbook, a forthcoming app to debut alongside iOS 6 this fall. Called “the simplest way to get all of your passes in one place,” Passbook lets iPhone users keep and quickly access electronic versions of their tickets, boarding passes and other merchant cards in one convenient place on their handset.

    Apparently, this idea was so awesome that Google had to hurry up and clone it before iOS 6 is released. At least that's what critics of the Internet search giants are saying on the heels of news that Google is adding a new feature to its growing electronic Wallet payment platform.

    This week, Google confirmed plans for a comparable solution to the Passbook app.

    One big advantage now for Google Wallet is that it was primarily designed to enable payments with users' credit card information stored in the cloud. It enables in-store purchases using near-field communications (NFC) at participating businesses.
    In case you're wondering, this isn't a rumor. In fact, the news comes straight from Robin Dua, Google Wallet Head of Product Management. And while Dua wouldn't reveal when the new feature is coming... you can bet it's already on the way.

    “One of the types of things we’re trying to do is make it easy for airlines, transit providers and other types of issuers of credentials to get their credentials stored in the Wallet,” Dua says. “That’s the goal. We want you to be able to leave your leather wallet at home and carry your phone and transact with that as your primary transaction device.”

    Source: Bizjournals
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is Google Wallet Ripping Off iOS 6 Passbook? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 67 Comments
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by dannyrocket View Post
      Your right anyone who likes a product because of its appearance is a complete idiot.


      WTF man, I like the appearance of the IPhone and so does everyone else that has one!
      Do you think anyone would buy a phone if they didn't like the look of it?

      I am a tattoo artist and the iPhone is the perfect size and shows off my work nicely. The Android would work just as well for me as well, just can't stand the look of them! (too big)

      Oh yea, I still carry a wallet and always will!

      so basically you dont buy a phone for its capabilities or its feature set--you buy one because its pretty to look at. lmfao.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      so basically you dont buy a phone for its capabilities or its feature set--you buy one because its pretty to look at. lmfao.
      im sorry didnt realize the iphone was an incapable phone? as a matter of fact its more of a functional phone than android.. Well atleast this is my opinion after using one for a few weeks.

      the iphone does not lack performance more ability. so not sure what your point is
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
      im sorry didnt realize the iphone was an incapable phone? as a matter of fact its more of a functional phone than android.. Well atleast this is my opinion after using one for a few weeks.

      the iphone does not lack performance more ability. so not sure what your point is
      more functional than an Android phone? you're either joking, lying or simply don't know what you're talking about--try composing an email then add an attachment to it....oops, you cant.

      try uploading photo from your gallery to Facebook...oops, cant do that either.

      try downloading or saving a file from a website then accessing that file....nope, cant do that.

      trying replacing a stock iOS app with one of YOUR choice, one that does what you want/need it to do....sorry, not on an iDevice.

      what do you do with an iPhone when you run out of space? Answer: DELETE some of your data. no need to use cloud storage because you cant add content to an iDevice independent of iTunes or some 3rd party clone.

      oh, and my all time favorite....turn on your bluetooth and see if your iPhone can detect other devices including other iDevices...EPIC FAIL.

      and yes, I do have iDevices in my home, they collect dust or my Son plays with them.
    1. dannyrocket's Avatar
      dannyrocket -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      so basically you dont buy a phone for its capabilities or its feature set--you buy one because its pretty to look at. lmfao.
      OMG....you can comprehend huh? LMFAO

      Great rebuttal genius. LMFAO
    1. f0x's Avatar
      f0x -
      Who cares who was first? We all know Apple will perfect it for the average consumer. Why do you think Apple is leading the race? They improve on old technology where others have failed. Google is a redneck version of Apple. They just can't seem to "get it right" the first time.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      more functional than an Android phone? you're either joking, lying or simply don't know what you're talking about--try composing an email then add an attachment to it....oops, you cant.

      try uploading photo from your gallery to Facebook...oops, cant do that either.

      try downloading or saving a file from a website then accessing that file....nope, cant do that.

      trying replacing a stock iOS app with one of YOUR choice, one that does what you want/need it to do....sorry, not on an iDevice.

      what do you do with an iPhone when you run out of space? Answer: DELETE some of your data. no need to use cloud storage because you cant add content to an iDevice independent of iTunes or some 3rd party clone.

      oh, and my all time favorite....turn on your bluetooth and see if your iPhone can detect other devices including other iDevices...EPIC FAIL.

      and yes, I do have iDevices in my home, they collect dust or my Son plays with them.
      Please re read. I said more of a functional phone. And btw I'm not jail broken and can upload to Facebook from camera roll and insert images in the email app. Please get your facts right.

      My statement was my opinion. I've been using an android for a few weeks and IMHO is far less useful as a phone and basic task manager than android.

      I have 0 need to download anything from safari so I could care less about that, as far as storage. Everything I use is stored in the cloud (I don't like wires) so never run out of space.

      Again this is my opinion and in no way said it was everyone else's
    1. LilyKing's Avatar
      LilyKing -
      Quote Originally Posted by snap1500 View Post
      An e-wallet isn't something new or unique. Everyone thought of it and wants it made (including consumers). It's like making telephone calls without wires. It was just a matter of time before someone made it happen. If apple or google made it happen first, doesn't really mean anything...Something like a pinch to zoom or bounce back, now that's something.
      yes, i do agree this.