• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verdict In: Samsung Violated Apple Patents, Apple Awarded $1.05 Billion in Damages


    Apple won big in California today as a federal court jury awarded the company $1.05 billion in damages after ruling Samsung infringed on six of Apple’s patents.

    The damages awarded to Apple fall short of the company’s requested $2.5 billion, but still rank as one of the largest intellectual-property awards ever recorded. Also, the jury found that Apple did not violate any of the patents Samsung presented at the trial, a stark contrast to a decision made by a trio of Judges in South Korea yesterday that found Samsung and Apple products both banned in the country.

    After 22 hours of deliberation spanning three days the jury found that Samsung infringed on six of the seven patents Apple presented and found willful infringement by Samsung in five cases (this can influence the severity of damages). The lone patent the jury found invalid was a patent covering the physical design of the iPad.

    The quick turnaround, and decision in Apple’s favor mark a brief end to a month long patent trial argued on a worldwide stage. The decision is purely monetary however, and none of Samsung’s current products will be taken off store shelves or banned from sale. Still, expect Samsung to file an appeal immediately.

    *Update*
    ModMyi user Tal1995 caught an interesting bit of info in Yahoo news' coverage of the verdict. Apparently there still is the possibility of Samsung's products being banned. Judge Lucy Koh will make that decision without the help of jury and the fact Koh approved a preliminary injunction earlier on during the proceedings should make Samsung rather nervous.

    While it is impossible to know what the jury’s thoughts during deliberation were at the current time, Apple frequently references a document entitled “Relative Evaluation Report on S1, iPhone,” dated March 2, 2010. The document compared a number of features between the two phones and included a section entitled “directions for improvement” which entailed mimicking many features of the iPhone.

    Samsung argued that being inspired by your competitors isn’t illegal, and provided photos and emails containing early tablet-like products in an attempt to have one of Apple’s design patents thrown out. Interestingly enough, the only patent the jury found Samsung didn’t violate was the iPad design patent.

    Apple won a single legal battle in the current patent war that may ultimately financially insignificant after the appeals process. But, the positive press, continued strain on Samsung’s legal team, and the message the verdict sends to competitors likely outweighs any damages awarded.

    Youtube Video
    This video I made a year ago seems somewhat fitting.
    Source: The Wall Street Journal
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verdict In: Samsung Violated Apple Patents, Apple Awarded $1.05 Billion in Damages started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 130 Comments
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Most people would.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Good i'm glad it finally came to a verdict. We'll never know every detail but in the end we can tell from the products created that they were iPhone copies. Protecting ones investment is a business standard..a life lesson. A monopoly? haha! I don't see how..Apple has one phone and all other companies have several models. One phone is doing better than several. Quality over quantity if you will. Im sure the war in the courts if far from over. This is one of many rounds. When the bell rings the gloves are laced and the lawyers play there positions..more stories will come.
    1. sw606's Avatar
      sw606 -
      Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
      all but guaranteeing that Apple's lawyers and Samsung's lawyers will "win" the lion's share.
      Apple (the company) may win on paper. Or possibly Samsung (company), but it's too early to tell.

      Consumers, and the general public will lose.
      imo, u sounded like a guy hired by samxxx to make posts here on mmi bcz ur comment just like that of samxxx statement. do not worry. consumers and the general public will be the biggest winners in the end bcz they can get more different design options besides apple, but samxxx needs to create their own, not just copying.

      4 tthose people use car analogy just makes no sense at all. trust me, if any car company own certain technology, they will sue if they can. so just let those car companies sort out their difference. we don't have to worry for them.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Complete BS, hey Apple you think you have a new TV coming out I can bet it will look like a Samsung TV or any other TV the market. And instead of suing everyone apple why don't you use that money to better your crappy products. I guess if you can't beat them then sue them that is the motto of Apple. Also if Apple had these patents why was Samsung even allowed the patents? So glad I got rid of my last piece of apple trash.
    1. Slim J's Avatar
      Slim J -
      Quote Originally Posted by gkiv View Post
      I would ditch the iPhone without the jailbreak community!!! I love my 4s only because the jailbreak allowed so much innovation....the jailbreaker tweakers should Patent their tweaks and sue apple for millions when they steal a tweak and put it into the iOS!!! Apple have been Putting the same crap on the 3 generations of iPhone!!!! Hella boring without a jailbreak!!! now if samsung gets eliminated say good bye to innovation on the iPhone, every one will keep getting the same boring iOS....no point to upgrade to the next iPhone...I'm a apple customer but I don't lick their balls likes some apple fan boys.
      I'm the same way. I have an iPod Touch 4g and the only reason I haven't sold it is the fact of jailbreaking (and it was also a gift). I say even if you developed a jailbreak tweak, try to apply for a patent. Along with that, patent law is pretty messed up and needs a serious overhaul. Here is what I think needs to be done

      -Patents need to not be vague and should be explicit and be very descriptive
      -Patents should not be based off of stolen unpatented idea
      -Patents laws need to be designed where it is near impossible to exploit it unfairly
      -A patent should last at the longest 5 years. After that, they can reapply for it, but it must go through a check to make sure if it's not an industry standard
      -If the patent is determined to be able to be used unfairly, it should be reviewed and if it is, the patent can be revoked
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Quote Originally Posted by sw606 View Post
      imo, u sounded like a guy hired by samxxx to make posts here on mmi bcz ur comment just like that of samxxx statement. do not worry. consumers and the general public will be the biggest winners in the end bcz they can get more different design options besides apple, but samxxx needs to create their own, not just copying.

      4 tthose people use car analogy just makes no sense at all. trust me, if any car company own certain technology, they will sue if they can. so just let those car companies sort out their difference. we don't have to worry about them.
      Right. Like I say, NO ONE should be allowed patents like rounded displays. How the heck can something like that be patented
    1. sw606's Avatar
      sw606 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Complete BS, hey Apple you think you have a new TV coming out I can bet it will look like a Samsung TV or any other TV the market. And instead of suing everyone apple why don't you use that money to better your crappy products. I guess if you can't beat them then sue them that is the motto of Apple. Also if Apple had these patents why was Samsung even allowed the patents? So glad I got rid of my last piece of apple trash.
      another guy sent by samxxx trying to confuse people.

      Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
      Right. Like I say, NO ONE should be allowed patents like rounded displays. How the heck can something like that be patented
      too bad u r not one of the jurors.

      Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
      I'm the same way. I have an iPod Touch 4g and the only reason I haven't sold it is the fact of jailbreaking (and it was also a gift). I say even if you developed a jailbreak tweak, try to apply for a patent. Along with that, patent law is pretty messed up and needs a serious overhaul. Here is what I think needs to be done

      -Patents need to not be vague and should be explicit and be very descriptive
      -Patents should not be based off of stolen unpatented idea
      -Patents laws need to be designed where it is near impossible to exploit it unfairly
      -A patent should last at the longest 5 years. After that, they can reapply for it, but it must go through a check to make sure if it's not an industry standard
      -If the patent is determined to be able to be used unfairly, it should be reviewed and if it is, the patent can be revoked
      u have ur right to ditch whatever you like. but don't tell me u did not bcz XXX. just ditch it.

      u also have right to state ur opinion. but too bad.
    1. r17019's Avatar
      r17019 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gkiv View Post
      I would ditch the iPhone without the jailbreak community!!! I love my 4s only because the jailbreak allowed so much innovation....the jailbreaker tweakers should Patent their tweaks and sue apple for millions when they steal a tweak and put it into the iOS!!! Apple have been Putting the same crap on the 3 generations of iPhone!!!! Hella boring without a jailbreak!!! now if samsung gets eliminated say good bye to innovation on the iPhone, every one will keep getting the same boring iOS....no point to upgrade to the next iPhone...I'm a apple customer but I don't lick their balls likes some apple fan boys.
      Here here +1
    1. Jato_BZ's Avatar
      Jato_BZ -
      Quote Originally Posted by r17019 View Post
      Here here +1
      I disagree, it's all about innovation and not duplication (samsungs case) Samsung need to go back to the drawing board and build there smartphone better if they wish to compete. I think you're wrong about the innovation diminishing within Apple. It's not about Samsung forcing them to make better products, it was earlier said that they supposedly do not buy into pressure from the market. Hell if they were worried about the competition would they not be releasing a Quad or Octo core smartphone? Yet they stick with the A5X chip cos they know it works and is all that is needed. Too many people are worried that now Samsung won't be able to challenge Apple to further their products. I totally disagree on this front.
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      I disagree, it's all about innovation and not duplication (samsungs case) Samsung need to go back to the drawing board and build there smartphone better if they wish to compete. I think you're wrong about the innovation diminishing within Apple. It's not about Samsung forcing them to make better products, it was earlier said that they supposedly do not buy into pressure from the market. Hell if they were worried about the competition would they not be releasing a Quad or Octo core smartphone? Yet they stick with the A5X chip cos they know it works and is all that is needed. Too many people are worried that now Samsung won't be able to challenge Apple to further their products. I totally disagree on this front.
      Google will find a way. And as far as innovation, Apple is NOT a innovator anymore with their phones. They are the reason we have good phones now but that edge they once had is gone. FAR gone. now tablets is another story. The iPad is a beast lol.

      Quote Originally Posted by sw606 View Post

      too bad u r not one of the jurors.
      Your surely right. I would have told them to make something else that is not a industry standard. Not try to silence competition. Rounded corners and pinch to zoom. Fanboys I tell ya. I have more Apple products than anything but some stuff you should not be allowed to patent. I bet Apple just loves using Google's notification center.
    1. Airwaves182's Avatar
      Airwaves182 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
      Thanks for proving my point!! Everyone copies something but only Apple tries to sue everyone about it. Checkmate !!
      Owned!
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by sw606 View Post
      another guy sent by samxxx trying to confuse people.



      too bad u r not one of the jurors.



      u have ur right to ditch whatever you like. but don't tell me u did not bcz XXX. just ditch it.

      u also have right to state ur opinion. but too bad.
      Another guy sent by Samsung? Is that the only reply Apple fan boys can come up with? I USED to have an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV but since Apple started their BS lawsuits I have since then got rid of them and moved to Android and well my phone at Tablet are both Samsung products. Yes an android can do everything a jailbroken apple product can and more. The only thing I somewhat miss is the Apple TV only because it was jailbroken and I had XBMC installed but I can plug my Galaxy Nexus right into my TV and do the same thing I guess.
    1. sw606's Avatar
      sw606 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Another guy sent by Samsung? Is that the only reply Apple fan boys can come up with? I USED to have an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV but since Apple started their BS lawsuits I have since then got rid of them and moved to Android and well my phone at Tablet are both Samsung products. Yes an android can do everything a jailbroken apple product can and more. The only thing I somewhat miss is the Apple TV only because it was jailbroken and I had XBMC installed but I can plug my Galaxy Nexus right into my TV and do the same thing I guess.
      i really don't think u had those apple products. as i said, u have ur right to state ur opinion; u also have ur right to ditch whatever u like. but the point is, enjoy whatever u have, not just talking down other people's products to make uself happy.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
      Galaxy S III here I come. Screw iPhone 5
      Enjoy! Don't let the shiny glass door to the apple store hit you on the way out! At least you won't have to wait in line for one...
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Quote Originally Posted by sw606 View Post
      i really don't think u had those apple products. as i said, u have ur right to state ur opinion; u also have ur right to ditch whatever u like. but the point is, enjoy whatever u have, not just talking down other people's products.
      Apple products I owned were iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad, iPad 2, and ATV2. I've jailbroke different versions for friends also and unlocked a few too. Look at my stats I've been around for a while now so why would I lie about what I've had? They were good if jailbroke that's the only way you could do much with them. I had the iPad 2 before the jailbreak was out and it sucked really so I didn't use it until that jailbreak came out. Yeah it's been a while but I can't see myself ever going to an iPhone even if it does ever go to T-Mobile for their 3G anyway.
    1. domenicp's Avatar
      domenicp -
      No big surprise with this verdict. Apple did not win the rectangle with rounded corners part of their suit. So people can stop jumping on that one. But they did win all their other claims. I'm just curious what was in that evidence Samsung destroyed... Can't be good... And there's no Samsung is the good guy in this... This has huge impact on Samsung's ability to do business with other companies... They have taken a ding on their rep... The winner in this is every other company in the mobile market. If they know how to capitalize.

      Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
      Right. Like I say, NO ONE should be allowed patents like rounded displays. How the heck can something like that be patented
      They did not win that one. People need to drop this argument and look at the other patents that Samsung violated.
    1. sw606's Avatar
      sw606 -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
      Apple products I owned were iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad, iPad 2, and ATV2. I've jailbroke different versions for friends also and unlocked a few too. Look at my stats I've been around for a while now so why would I lie about what I've had? They were good if jailbroke that's the only way you could do much with them. I had the iPad 2 before the jailbreak was out and it sucked really so I didn't use it until that jailbreak came out. Yeah it's been a while but I can't see myself ever going to an iPhone even if it does ever go to T-Mobile for their 3G anyway.
      if android phones r so good, why bother getting a jb iphone? enjoy what u have, not just complaining/talking down other people's products.
    1. rockyseay's Avatar
      rockyseay -
      Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
      No big surprise with this verdict. Apple did not win the rectangle with rounded corners part of their suit. So people can stop jumping on that one. But they did win all their other claims. I'm just curious what was in that evidence Samsung destroyed... Can't be good... And there's no Samsung is the good guy in this... This has huge impact on Samsung's ability to do business with other companies... They have taken a ding on their rep... The winner in this is every other company in the mobile market. If they know how to capitalize.


      They did not win that one. People need to drop this argument and look at the other patents that Samsung violated.
      Well tell me about this bs pinch to zoom
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Why are all of you guys/gals still arguing???

      -Samsung lost...Apple won; that's it!
      -"Maybe we can change the verdict if we argue about it"
      -"Fandroid/FanBoys, blah-blah-blah..."

      Get over it, you're all starting to look like idiots!!!!
    1. i.Annie's Avatar
      i.Annie -
      I feel bad for Samsung. That's a lot of money.