• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Verdict In: Samsung Violated Apple Patents, Apple Awarded $1.05 Billion in Damages


    Apple won big in California today as a federal court jury awarded the company $1.05 billion in damages after ruling Samsung infringed on six of Apple’s patents.

    The damages awarded to Apple fall short of the company’s requested $2.5 billion, but still rank as one of the largest intellectual-property awards ever recorded. Also, the jury found that Apple did not violate any of the patents Samsung presented at the trial, a stark contrast to a decision made by a trio of Judges in South Korea yesterday that found Samsung and Apple products both banned in the country.

    After 22 hours of deliberation spanning three days the jury found that Samsung infringed on six of the seven patents Apple presented and found willful infringement by Samsung in five cases (this can influence the severity of damages). The lone patent the jury found invalid was a patent covering the physical design of the iPad.

    The quick turnaround, and decision in Apple’s favor mark a brief end to a month long patent trial argued on a worldwide stage. The decision is purely monetary however, and none of Samsung’s current products will be taken off store shelves or banned from sale. Still, expect Samsung to file an appeal immediately.

    *Update*
    ModMyi user Tal1995 caught an interesting bit of info in Yahoo news' coverage of the verdict. Apparently there still is the possibility of Samsung's products being banned. Judge Lucy Koh will make that decision without the help of jury and the fact Koh approved a preliminary injunction earlier on during the proceedings should make Samsung rather nervous.

    While it is impossible to know what the jury’s thoughts during deliberation were at the current time, Apple frequently references a document entitled “Relative Evaluation Report on S1, iPhone,” dated March 2, 2010. The document compared a number of features between the two phones and included a section entitled “directions for improvement” which entailed mimicking many features of the iPhone.

    Samsung argued that being inspired by your competitors isn’t illegal, and provided photos and emails containing early tablet-like products in an attempt to have one of Apple’s design patents thrown out. Interestingly enough, the only patent the jury found Samsung didn’t violate was the iPad design patent.

    Apple won a single legal battle in the current patent war that may ultimately financially insignificant after the appeals process. But, the positive press, continued strain on Samsung’s legal team, and the message the verdict sends to competitors likely outweighs any damages awarded.


    This video I made a year ago seems somewhat fitting.
    Source: The Wall Street Journal
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Verdict In: Samsung Violated Apple Patents, Apple Awarded $1.05 Billion in Damages started by Phillip Swanson View original post
    Comments 130 Comments
    1. hank197857's Avatar
      hank197857 -
      i've got a few bucks in my pocket that i really don't need. i can get more. still, i double dog dare anyone to reach into my pocket without a fight. (btw, comments longer than one inch should be deleted. nothing said in these posts is earth shattering)
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
      i've got a few bucks in my pocket that i really don't need. i can get more. still, i double dog dare anyone to reach into my pocket without a fight. (btw, comments longer than one inch should be deleted. nothing said in these posts is earth shattering)
      Successful pickpockets don't start fights
      you never see them coming (only walking away)

      If the posts are too big, you should use a smaller font.
    1. swifty7's Avatar
      swifty7 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
      What about Google? Google making billions and even funnels there money through 14 country's so they don't have to pay fed taxes. Or what about all the oil company's making billions every quarter off of all of us?
      a believe Apple is bigger than Google and Oil Companies. Apple might reach and be the first company to worth a Trillion Dollars if it keeps on going the way it is then again pharmaceuticals might make even more money per fiscal year. Anyway my point is that I wish ill will toward any company that are arrogant and think that they're untouchable. The reason I'm singling out Apple is because all I keep reading is how much profit they're constantly making.
    1. Mootdip's Avatar
      Mootdip -
      F..k you apple...your acting like a spoilt little child.
      learn to share.
    1. TechnoUniversity's Avatar
      TechnoUniversity -
      Y'all chill. This will be on appeal for a few years.
    1. Painkiller006's Avatar
      Painkiller006 -
      Ah Philip, proudly showing his fanboy colors with his little video. Wonder if this is how you and them fanboys get when you hear anything Apple congrats to apple on winning all that money, now put it to good use an innovative something worthwhile, something that might make me consider switching back to Apple
    1. Lohand's Avatar
      Lohand -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mootdip View Post
      F..k you apple...your acting like a spoilt little child.
      learn to share.
      Hey, they don't even have to share. Just don't be such f'in "Herbs" when their n00bish'ness gets them in trouble. Case in point, when you don't know crap about RF design and opt for an external antenna that can easily and repeatedly be detuned (because it "looks beautiful"), don't drag others into your media shtz storm, and hold a press event where you have the balz to not even generalize but to wrongly call others out by name! This in addition to telling buyers "your holding it wrong" (never mind that its being held the same way in every Ad that's put out). This child came into a neighborhood and immediately began to piss everyone off! How long do they think this will last?

      PS I don't ever recall a press conference (with charts) where Exxon blatantly and repeatably said BP sux too! Oh, and that knocking sound in your car? you're driving it wrong!
    1. tlc1217's Avatar
      tlc1217 -
      I wonder y people even read these articles if they r so AGAINST Apple...ijs
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mootdip View Post
      F..k you apple...your acting like a spoilt little child.
      learn to share.
      This is what any company would have done.
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      At least a few of you got it right, this wasn't about the money. It's all about right and wrong, infringing in patents is illegal boys, bottom line. I'm willing to bet all you droid dorks would be singing a different tune if the verdict was the other way. There's a reason 89% of consumers once use a iPhone never go back to an inferior phone and 94% MAC never go back. Use facts folks, you won't come off so stupid sounding, you will still just
      Look that way.
    1. crunchingnumbers's Avatar
      crunchingnumbers -
      Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers
      The rest of the world laughs at the continued skewed view of the US courts and lawyers. Soon we will have to go to third world countries to enjoy anything innovative because the rest of the world simply won't bother with an over zealous and overwhelmingly litigious country. The world is 7 billion strong and last time I looked only 300 million or so of them live in the US. More and more of that 300 entitled thinking million are less likely to be able to afford or influence anything in the real world anyway.

      Apple only takes other peoples ideas and packages them (which they do very well). Maybe everyone missed the Steve Jobs comments on copying.

      Carvensno - Today, 12:44 AM
      And this comes from someone that been a member for almost 5 yrs and only posts 10 times? LMAO Opinions are like A$$H0les, everyone has one



      Maybe some people only comment when they have something meaningful that needs to be said, unlike others who have an overinflated opinion of themselves. And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, which I respect as an opportunity to learn new things.

      cgfusion. I'm not an android user but at the end of the day it's like a television: there's only so many ways to build one and show a picture. I have a hard time viewing the phone any differently. In this case I would argue that the patents are over reaching and it will therefore hurt the consumer. Imagine if we had faced something similar with the PC.
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      They do it to remove Samsung from the competition. They don't like to play nice. Thats why I'm telling EVERYONE to get a Samsung device as they DO play nice and are actually better devices.

      Apple HAVE been copying from the start. There WERE many touchscreen phones already out BEFORE the iPhone came out. and 99% of them were better than the iPhone. The iPhone 1 was a piece of crap and did hardly anything and what it did do was a pathetic lame attempt.
      I can say that as I have other touchscreen phones before the iPhone and I also have the iPhone 1 so I know what I'm talking about.
      Oh yeah? All other touchscreen phones were better than the iPhone 1? No that's not true at all. The iPhone brought the touchscreen era and we all know it. Sure there were some before it but most were expensive crappy or experimental. NO ONE thought of apple the way they do now. You guys think we mindlessly buy apple products but believe me most people weren't fanboys before the iPhone. Therefore there's no bias for the consumers to want an iPhone more than any other phone (during the iPhone 1 release) but apples phone was that much better. The touchscreen was 20x more responsive and faster. Stfu you have no idea what you are talking about seriously et off this forum I'm sick of you guys

      Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
      What a great result, only confirms our suspicions. Now Samsung will need innovate instead of imitate!! Tut tut Samsung! Where's ur game at now!!??
      Thank you
    1. MrLingerLonger's Avatar
      MrLingerLonger -
      I hope apple puts this much effort into improving future devices
    1. Mrteacup's Avatar
      Mrteacup -
      Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
      a believe Apple is bigger than Google and Oil Companies. Apple might reach and be the first company to worth a Trillion Dollars if it keeps on going the way it is then again pharmaceuticals might make even more money per fiscal year. Anyway my point is that I wish ill will toward any company that are arrogant and think that they're untouchable. The reason I'm singling out Apple is because all I keep reading is how much profit they're constantly making.
      I agreed with your first opinion about apple seriously being unstoppable however this I just have to say.. ARE YOU KIDDING? You need to do research oil companies basically run the world (this is not conspiracy its fact.) without fossil fuels we would all have to use a different source of power.
    1. raduga's Avatar
      raduga -
      Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
      Y'all chill. This will be on appeal for a few years.
      all but guaranteeing that Apple's lawyers and Samsung's lawyers will "win" the lion's share.
      Apple (the company) may win on paper. Or possibly Samsung (company), but it's too early to tell.

      Consumers, and the general public will lose.
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      Good win for apple and Samsung didn't really do a good job of finding the right legal team to fight this case, and doing what they did with the non allowable evidence didn't help there case either! As for google joining the patent fight around the wifi patents it will likely be that the chip maker has paid the patent fee already!
    1. Agent929's Avatar
      Agent929 -
      Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
      Good win for apple and Samsung didn't really do a good job of finding the right legal team to fight this case, and doing what they did with the non allowable evidence didn't help there case either! As for google joining the patent fight around the wifi patents it will likely be that the chip maker has paid the patent fee already!
      I read on CNET that it was decided that Apple didn't violate the wifi patent.
    1. td1439's Avatar
      td1439 -
      This is great news for Ford Motors. Now they can sue anyone who blatantly rips off design features on cars like using four wheels or an engine.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
      This is great news for Ford Motors. Now they can sue anyone who blatantly rips off design features on cars like using four wheels or an engine.
      Fail. Ford didn't make the first car. Move on little boy.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      I think Mercedez-Benz made one of the first, but it had three wheels. Could be wrong.